HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Do you think the Sembcorp Ind/Marine voting in mid August will pass through?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Do you think the Sembcorp Ind/Marine voting in mid August will pass through?

Own some Sembcorp shares. Wondering whether I should sell it before the voting in mid August.

Any opinion?

What do brokers think? Any feedback from your clients?
greentiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

I own SCI shares.

My take; SCI shareholders will vote for the demerger while SMM against.
BlueRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

I own SCI shares.

My take; SCI shareholders will vote for the demerger while SMM against.
erm. based on their most recent report, Temasek has around 49% interest in SCI. and SCI has about 60% interest in SMM.

so unless i am missing something, in the case of SCI unless 51% of the other shareholders say no (which I really doubt they are all so together in arms), it will definitely go through.

for SMM, since SCI has interest of almost 61%, it is also given?

unless the interested parties say they will abstain from the vote? or if the voting threshold is set above a simple majority (i didn't read the proposals so maybe they have diff voting threshold for such corporate actions)

Last edited by reddevil0728; 31-07-2020 at 02:19 PM..
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #4

erm. based on their most recent report, Temasek has around 49% interest in SCI. and SCI has about 60% interest in SMM.

so unless i am missing something, in the case of SCI unless 51% of the other shareholders say no (which I really doubt they are all so together in arms), it will definitely go through.

for SMM, since SCI has interest of almost 61%, it is also given?

unless the interested parties say they will abstain from the vote? or if the voting threshold is set above a simple majority (i didn't read the proposals so maybe they have diff voting threshold for such corporate actions)
There was an article on Business Times (please google) where it was stating that SCI and its directors who hold SMM shares will refrain from voting. It becomes the minority shareholders (of SMM) decision if they want the demerger to takes place. The problems for these minority shareholders is that if demerger is going ahead, rights issue follows and it would means they will need to come out with cash if they are buying into the issue. That is my understanding from reading the article. I hope I am wrong.

[edit] Found the article
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...s-get-deciding

Last edited by BlueRobin; 31-07-2020 at 06:00 PM..
BlueRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

There was an article on Business Times (please google) where it was stating that SCI and its directors who hold SMM shares will refrain from voting. It becomes the minority shareholders (of SMM) decision if they want the demerger to takes place. The problems for these minority shareholders is that if demerger is going ahead, rights issue follows and it would means they will need to come out with cash if they are buying into the issue. That is my understanding from reading the article. I hope I am wrong.

[edit] Found the article
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...s-get-deciding
ah got it....
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.