HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Downgraded my prushield private hospital plan

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #16

Currently insurers are giving cashback for those who choose a 'lower class' of ward (eg: private -> govt). They are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but because they are saving money.

The cash benefits they are giving out are only a fraction of the savings they get when someone uses govt hospital instead of a private hospital. The more people they get to downgrade their ward, the more they save.

I assume that those that sign with private will never want to downgrade if they are facing a major illness because of the perception that private is better.

But for routine operations like remove tonsils and remove appendix, if they increased the cash benefit, I'm sure some won't mind downgrading their hospital ward which will result it greater net savings rather than increased premiums. There is really no reason to use a more expensive private hospital for 'routine' medical procedures.
A doctor friend of mine actually told me that the opposite is true: government hospitals are better for major illnesses and private is better for non-major.

He told me that government hospitals have more funding, so they have the latest and most expensive equipment available, so they can give you the best chance of recovery if you are very sick. However, private hospital will be more comfortable. So if it's not serious then you might as well go private for the comfort.

But this is hearsay, so don't take my word for it.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Even the legendary doctor Mummy1234 also only have basic medishield life coverage, no integrated shield somemore.

A doctor friend of mine actually told me that the opposite is true: government hospitals are better for major illnesses and private is better for non-major.

He told me that government hospitals have more funding, so they have the latest and most expensive equipment available, so they can give you the best chance of recovery if you are very sick. However, private hospital will be more comfortable. So if it's not serious then you might as well go private for the comfort.

yyhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #18

The best doctors in life-threatening illnesses will almost always be at public hospitals, purely out of the more experiences the doctors have treated patients of the illness.
fr33d0m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
Master Member

not sure if this is true but i heard private hospitals actually may charge more if they know patients have insurance coverage.
wira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #20

not sure if this is true but i heard private hospitals actually may charge more if they know patients have insurance coverage.
Not necessarily charges more, but prescribes more brand medicine than generics.
Old 22-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #21
Master Member

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...hospital-bills

looks like same case for motor claims with patients adding 'extras'

" A 37-year-old woman stayed seven days in hospital for abdominal hernia repair. Of the $46,000 bill, the surgeon's share was $31,900, or five times the norm. It transpired that while in hospital, she also had her breast augmented, and a tummy tuck with the fat transferred to her buttocks, but since these are not covered by insurance, none of this was stated in the bill."

ē A patient was admitted for 16 hours for inflammation of the gall bladder. The tests showed no inflammation and no treatment was needed. However, the patient was given a series of unrelated screening tests, including an electrocardiogram, a magnetic resonance imaging scan and a computerised tomography scan. Screening is not covered by insurance. The bill came to $11,000.
wira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #22

These are considered insurance fraud.
Old 22-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #23

Wonder if the insurers upon finding out, will they stop renewing the shield plans?
a4973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #24
High Supremacy Member

Wonder if the insurers upon finding out, will they stop renewing the shield plans?
the doctors ought to be suspended first
Old 22-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just a question, government plan still can take government class A ward right?? Just no cashback from rider?
Old 22-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
High Supremacy Member

Just a question, government plan still can take government class A ward right?? Just no cashback from rider?
Government plan as in just medishield life and no integrated shield plan?

Or the class A for integrated shield plan?
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

Class A for integrated shield plan

Government plan as in just medishield life and no integrated shield plan?

Or the class A for integrated shield plan?
Old 22-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #28
High Supremacy Member

Class A for integrated shield plan
eh isn't that the intended purpose?
Old 22-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #29
Master Member

Govt hospitals are safer for major illnesses.

You have all the junior doctors on duty after office hours in case any complications develop.
greentiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #30
Master Member

I was helping my Mun review her Prudential class A shield plan as she was in a similar situation as well. Sheís 70 and boy do the premiums jump after 70.

I did a lengthy comparison of the various insurers offering class A and B1 ISPs vs age and plotted it on a graph. It was a tedious process as i had to enter all the data manually from the numbers on the various insurers website. Itís pretty interesting to see how different insurers strategy are. One for example gives a lots of freebies on their health app, with premiums earlier in life higher than the rest but still affordable, and they start to really squeeze their customers as they get older with premiums a huge difference over the next highest insurer.

One of them whoís our nationís trusted insurer, maintains reasonable premiums until after 90 where the premiums increase beyond some of the other insurers.

I think itís wise to downgrade to the standard MSL once the premiums become unaffordable , which is usually around 60+ years old. Those people who insist and decide to stay on the private plans will inevitably pay through their nose. Eg. Around $120k till 95 on a B1 plan.
nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.