HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Feeling bearish on stocks and bonds and have a lump sum to invest for retirement...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Feeling bearish on stocks and bonds and have a lump sum to invest for retirement...

What do I do?

Reasons for bearishness is because of all the fear monger the news is churning out, like an asset bubble in the US, their debt, hyperinflation predictions for the US.

And I have one lump sum to invest. But if things looks so bad in the Long term, what do i buy really? Keep in cash and squirrel under my bed? I am only investing for retirement and my timeframe can be up to 40 years. Need something that can beat inflation by 1-2% with little risk.
kingboonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

CPF SA sounds like a perfect match for what you are describing.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

What do I do?

Reasons for bearishness is because of all the fear monger the news is churning out, like an asset bubble in the US, their debt, hyperinflation predictions for the US.

And I have one lump sum to invest. But if things looks so bad in the Long term, what do i buy really? Keep in cash and squirrel under my bed? I am only investing for retirement and my timeframe can be up to 40 years. Need something that can beat inflation by 1-2% with little risk.
do you think it is correct to invest based on 'feelings'?
Lewis.T likes this.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

Keep and wait for crash. Meanwhile invest a bit on tonight ToTo.
ceciltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Do nothing.

Investment is not mandatory.

Sent from . using GAGT
crimsontactics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

What do I do?

40 years? How old are you? I am guessing your lump-sum will look like peanuts 40 years later.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #7

40 years? How old are you? I am guessing your lump-sum will look like peanuts 40 years later.

28 years old, 7 digits sum...
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #8

CPF SA sounds like a perfect match for what you are describing.
Sounds like it too to be honest.

4% will beat 2.5% inflation rate by 1.5%.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

i guess u missed his earlier threads. he is a millionaire from crypto
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

What do I do?

if things really look bad in the long term, the last thing u have to worry about is inflation .
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Weren't people talking about cryptos being the future? Why cash out when the coins* are supposed to moon soon? If he is bearish about the economy, all the more he should be hodling [sic] BTC.

*Excluding sh!tcoins.

Faibo waipaaa!
Maeda_Toshiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #12

28 years old, 7 digits sum...

Sadly CPF SA is capped at $171k, you still need to find somewhere else to park the other $829k
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #13

Weren't people talking about cryptos being the future? Why cash out when the coins* are supposed to moon soon? If he is bearish about the economy, all the more he should be hodling [sic] BTC.

*Excluding sh!tcoins.
BTC and other DLT are way too early of their game.

As for the theory that BTC moves in inverse correlation to the market has only been tested in places like Venezuela and Zimbabwe. I still hold a chunk of btc but I am still not certain about the theory.

Last edited by kingboonz; 12-06-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Sadly CPF SA is capped at $171k, you still need to find somewhere else to park the other $829k
Contributions every year? Or maximum cap. Does that means any interest earned will spill over to OA?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Contributions every year? Or maximum cap. Does that means any interest earned will spill over to OA?
Max Voluntary contributions only... interest still goes to SA.. if u still working, CPF contributions from ur salary still goes to SA as per norm..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.