Integrated Shield Plans Premium to go up again

mummynew

Reaction score
is colonscopy under private insurance considered as day surgery

'Last time', easier to claim when people going for colonoscopy check up under the pretense of stomach illnesses. I 'heard' nowadays is getting more difficult to do so as the checks are getting stricter and so the chance of getting claims declined is getting higher.

Few years back my bowel habits changed significantly and found blood in stool. So went for a colonoscopy followed up with a surgery to remove a cancerous tumour. This was fully covered by pte insurance.

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
'Last time', easier to claim when people going for colonoscopy check up under the pretense of stomach illnesses. I 'heard' nowadays is getting more difficult to do so as the checks are getting stricter and so the chance of getting claims declined is getting higher.

Few years back my bowel habits changed significantly and found blood in stool. So went for a colonoscopy followed up with a surgery to remove a cancerous tumour. This was fully covered by pte insurance.

For this able to claim for your because its under pre and post for the surgery.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
https://www.moh.gov.sg/cost-financing/fee-benchmarks-and-bill-amount-information/DetailsByHospital/SF702C--1--Day---Surgery---(Subsidised)
My understanding is any procedure that is covered in the Table of Surgical procedures will be reimbursed from the shield plan. Is my understanding incorrect? Thanks

The 1 u show is benchmark.
Simple, if this can be claim, wouldnt everybody go for this check up and claim?
From my understanding, its not claimable as this is not even a surgery. Its just a checkup.
But if this checkup up leads to a surgery, then it’s claimable under pre and post hospitalization.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
The 1 u show is benchmark.
Simple, if this can be claim, wouldnt everybody go for this check up and claim?
From my understanding, its not claimable as this is not even a surgery. Its just a checkup.
But if this checkup up leads to a surgery, then it’s claimable under pre and post hospitalization.
Getting confused. What about the below thread?
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/all-integrated-shield-plans-provide-coverage-diagnostic-endoscopy-clarifies-insurance-body-follo-6369479.html

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score

Case by case. As u can read the last few liners of the thread. Not able to claim for normal screening. Ya so depends on situation. But if leads to surgery, definitely no issue.
But as of recent news, it shouldnt be an issue if is lead to it and not self request checkup. It depends how it leads to the colonscopy

Last edited:

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think key part of that article is

"Those who are well and undergo gastrointestinal endoscopy for screening purposes would not be able to make a claim, it said, as IP plans do not cover health screening."

whereas if it is part of some treatment then it is claimable.

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score

don't worry about that,
doctor will justify and decide if colonoscopy is required for you. if required for medical reason, no reason insurer will turn down. unless you fake it so much until doctor cannot tell, also, people won't want to do a colonoscopy for the sake of doing it right, imagine getting your a** poke while you are asleep

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
don't worry about that,
doctor will justify and decide if colonoscopy is required for you. if required for medical reason, no reason insurer will turn down. unless you fake it so much until doctor cannot tell, also, people won't want to do a colonoscopy for the sake of doing it right, imagine getting your a** poke while you are asleep

I have did many diagnostic endoscopy for my nose, all claim went through successful, mix of both private and public.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If it's a routine colonoscopy for screening purposes, then an Integrated Shield plan won't cover it unless there's some finding that triggers another coverage provision. (MediShield Life won't either.) In Mummynew's case, for example, a routine colonoscopy uncovered a cancerous tumor that she then had surgically removed. The surgery and related pre-hospitalization care was thus covered, so that's how her colonoscopy was covered.

Having a negative colonoscopy (no health issues), assuming the screening is accurate, is good news! You should hope for that! If you're concerned about the cost, you have at least four options:

1. Shop around! Colonoscopies vary quite a lot in price, and they tend to be lower priced from the public medical sector. If you're a Singaporean citizen or PR you'll almost surely get the lowest price if you visit a public polyclinic and ask for a colonoscopy referral.

2. If you have employer-provided medical insurance, check to see if that insurance covers your colonoscopy.

3. You can use up to $1,250 of your MediSave dollars to pay for a colonoscopy.

4. Annual Faecal Immunochemical Testing (FIT) is generally an acceptable alternative to colonoscopies for routine colorectal cancer screening. If you're a Singaporean citizen or PR age 50 or older you can get free FIT kits sponsored by the Singapore Cancer Society. If you don't fit that profile, FIT is still quite inexpensive.

As always, ask a qualified medical professional if you need advice. The SCS may be able to provide free, generalized advice for cancer-related questions.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.