HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Investment advice for 200k

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #16

UK vanguard because dividend tax is 15% in uk, it is 30% in us. U earn more (get taxed less) buying the uk version
civicguy likes this.
platopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #17
Master Member

Here (edit: changed some to take into account platopus's high-div-yield suggestions)
* 30% STI ETF (yields 2.6% plus capital growth)
* 20% VUSD (the UK-listed SPY equivalent) (yields 1.6% plus capital growth)
* 20% VHYD (the UK-listed Vanguard high-div ETF) (yields 3.65% plus capital growth)
* 20% QL2 (the SG-listed Asia Credit Bond ETF, yields 4.75%)
* 10% QL3 (the SG-listed Asia High Yield Bond ETF, yields about 7%)
Hey Shiny, do you know what is the official stock name for QL3 and QL2? I can't seem to be able to find their dividend payout history from SGX here: Company Disclosure & Information | SGX

Also, any idea why the chart for QL3 has random spikes and falls every now and then? Am I looking at the right chart at https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/echarts...L3.SI;range=1d ? The spikes and falls can be seen starting from the 6M view upwards is it because of CD and XD? Cannot be the dividends so often and so much, right?
Niaoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #18
Master Member

Hey Shiny, do you know what is the official stock name for QL3 and QL2? I can't seem to be able to find their dividend payout history from SGX here: Company Disclosure & Information | SGX

Also, any idea why the chart for QL3 has random spikes and falls every now and then? Am I looking at the right chart at https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/echarts...L3.SI;range=1d ? The spikes and falls can be seen starting from the 6M view upwards is it because of CD and XD? Cannot be the dividends so often and so much, right?
IS ASIA BND S$D (QL2) - ISHARES USD ASIA BOND ETF S$

IS ASIA HYG S$D (QL3) - ISHARES USD ASIA HY BOND ETFS$
lushiris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #19
Master Member

IS ASIA BND S$D (QL2) - ISHARES USD ASIA BOND ETF S$

IS ASIA HYG S$D (QL3) - ISHARES USD ASIA HY BOND ETFS$
Hmm under SGX corporate actions, the dividends are in USD but the stock itself trades in SGD. Is this correct i.e. the stock is in SGD but pays out dividends in USD?
Old 22-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #20
Supremacy Member

Hi guys,

Simply put, I have 200k cash that has been rotting in my posbkids account for awhile now - what are the best options available to me, given that I do not need liquidity, prefer dividend payouts, and am NOT very risk adverse?

my opinion:

Just buy IBM.
yukari_san3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #21
Supremacy Member

I think that's because Yahoo's got the USD and SGD share classes confused. The top line of those spikes - around the $13.60 mark - is where the SGD share class is trading. The bottom of the spikes - around $11-ish - is where the USD share class is trading. Basically the chart data is rubbish.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #22
Supremacy Member

oh btw shiny u often
recommend etfs

lets say someone is using stanchart at 0.2% commission for all purchases

instead of buying ETF

he can easily construct his own personal stock portfolio easily

since he can buy anything and everything

so why even rely on ETF.
Old 22-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

instead of buying ETF he can easily construct his own personal stock portfolio easily since he can buy anything and everything, so why even rely on ETF?
Two reasons:

1) For anything other than stocks, you can't easily DIY. Try replicating the contents of the A35 bond ETF by yourself and then call me back. (And don't forget the hefty FX costs if you're trying to buy overseas stocks; the ETF fund manager will get a much better deal than you will.)
2) Constructing it might be cheap - only 0.2% no matter how much you buy! - but it's not easy, and managing the portfolio once you've built it isn't easy either. You need to keep track of index changes; keep track of rebalancing; and if you add some cash to your portfolio, then you need to figure out how much of each individual stock you need to buy to keep it balanced.

Or you can just buy an ETF and pay 0.1-0.5% per year for someone else to handle all of those headaches for you.
bslow27 and coloumbiaGames like this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
Supremacy Member

oh btw shiny u often
recommend etfs

instead of buying ETF

he can easily construct his own personal stock portfolio easily

since he can buy anything and everything

so why even rely on ETF.

If you are really passionate about investing and furthermore, you are probably HNW individual, with US$100k lying around spare, you can definitely try to replicate index performance using MPT to reach the efficient frontier.

Even if you later give up and pay the ETF provider to do the same thing for you, the experience you have gained will help you in the rest of your investment journey.

Don't be one of those who no action talk big only in the forums. Be like DW who practices what he posts in these forums. Go ahead and do it, and start a blog to share your investment journey with us.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Supremacy Member

Two reasons:

1) For anything other than stocks, you can't easily DIY. Try replicating the contents of the A35 bond ETF by yourself and then call me back. (And don't forget the hefty FX costs if you're trying to buy overseas stocks; the ETF fund manager will get a much better deal than you will.)
2) Constructing it might be cheap - only 0.2% no matter how much you buy! - but it's not easy, and managing the portfolio once you've built it isn't easy either. You need to keep track of index changes; keep track of rebalancing; and if you add some cash to your portfolio, then you need to figure out how much of each individual stock you need to buy to keep it balanced.

Or you can just buy an ETF and pay 0.1-0.5% per year for someone else to handle all of those headaches for you.

thats true.thanks shiny
Old 22-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

If you are really passionate about investing and furthermore, you are probably HNW individual, with US$100k lying around spare, you can definitely try to replicate index performance using MPT to reach the efficient frontier.

Even if you later give up and pay the ETF provider to do the same thing for you, the experience you have gained will help you in the rest of your investment journey.

Don't be one of those who no action talk big only in the forums. Be like DW who practices what he posts in these forums. Go ahead and do it, and start a blog to share your investment journey with us.
dont want too much publicity
hahah
Old 22-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

my opinion:

Just buy IBM.
Hi Yukari,

I got nothing against you, but this is very very dangerous Advice.

IBM share price now is USD$158.51

It's peak was USD$214 earlier in March 2014 [would have lost $25 year-to-date if buy a wrong price]

Previous highs were USD$124 pre crisis $124 in 2008

another previous high before the DOT com bust was USD$137 in 1999

If a person were to enter at a wrong time, did not buy it at prices where IBM is below $100, they would be staring at a lot of losses.

NO doubt, IBM MAY rally again back to $200 and he would earn 33%.. but who knows right.. IBM may go below $100 just as well.

This is not considering that USD to SGD has fallen from 1.6 to 1.3 [plus all the other taxes involved in buying us stocks].

Lastly, there is the risk of buying individual companies, as shared in another thread:

One big lesson to learn for me on putting eggs in one basket from GTAT Case Study | Investment Moats - Stock Market Investing

for someone new to investing, better to buy ETFs, or mutual funds. And always go for safer yields (starting with ocbc360 acct, safest bank in the world)

Slowly build, don't rush in and become food for others
ivanessg likes this.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #28

Nowadays there are a lot of these threads from people who have $X amount to invest and asking for advice. Could we have a sticky for this? Maybe can label them as "portfolio management" or "asset allocation".
Old 22-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #29

yea Bedokian,

Got people with 50k, 10k, 100k, 200k all emerge to play nowadays
Bedokian likes this.
Old 22-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #30
Master Member

I think that's because Yahoo's got the USD and SGD share classes confused. The top line of those spikes - around the $13.60 mark - is where the SGD share class is trading. The bottom of the spikes - around $11-ish - is where the USD share class is trading. Basically the chart data is rubbish.
Thanks, Shiny! In that case, is QL3 actually in USD or SGD? I am referring to the one you recommended. And is the dividend payout in USD or SGD? Cos I could only manage to find the USD dividend history in SGX
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.