HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Investment Advice for Old Newbie

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Investment Advice for Old Newbie

hello all, I am in my mid-40s and finally realized that I need to plan for retirement in maybe another... 15 years

from my tiny research, I am looking at the below options for long term and probably very high risks investments, do provide your kind comments or advice:

- $100K investing in Maybank products which the RM briefly told me it's around 7% to 8% returns
- $50K in robo advisors (no know which one, StashAway? SYFE? FSMOne?) with monthly amounts, as a start to test out before loading more funds

or any suggestions?

thanks in advance
ehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

hello all, I am in my mid-40s and finally realized that I need to plan for retirement in maybe another... 15 years

from my tiny research, I am looking at the below options for long term and probably very high risks investments, do provide your kind comments or advice:

- $100K investing in Maybank products which the RM briefly told me it's around 7% to 8% returns
- $50K in robo advisors (no know which one, StashAway? SYFE? FSMOne?) with monthly amounts, as a start to test out before loading more funds

or any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Maybe you can name out what is the maybank product for better advice?
boredboiboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Maybe you can name out what is the maybank product for better advice?
if I am not wrong, these are the ones
  • JP Morgan Global Income
  • BlackRock Dynamic High Income
  • Fidelity Funds - Global Multi Asset Income Fund
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

if I am not wrong, these are the ones
But why maybank?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

But why maybank?
oh, because it's convenient in terms of location, and can get their privilege benefits since their requirement is only $50K?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

oh, because it's convenient in terms of location, and can get their privilege benefits since their requirement is only $50K?
What kind of privilege as their charge might be high for that investment
Old 06-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

What kind of privilege as their charge might be high for that investment
any recommendations?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

Would you really use the privilege or lounge?

Have one with the local bank but did not bother with their privilege. Neither did I use any of their investment products.

For those recommended by your RM, what is the TER?
Prof. Utonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

any recommendations?
Recommendation will not be just like that. More of your risk level. I would not recommend 100% all into investment. Unless that all your spare money.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

As someone else mentioned earlier you should really check the TER (total expense ratio) of the products Maybank is offering.

Syfe announced a financial advisory offering today (some of it seems to be paid offering), maybe they can help you.
2474265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

This is a global bond fund, and it's about 2/3rds junk bonds. There's an initial sales charge of up to 5%, and the fund manager's fee alone is 1.25% per year.

I think this is called the "BGF Dynamic High Income Fund." It's an actively managed fund, and it's also global, albeit not so well diversified. It currently does a lot of covered call writing, holds a decent chunk of junk bonds, makes floating rate loans, a little emerging market debt.... Just a bunch of oddball (and rather risky) stuff. The initial sales charge is up to 5%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.5%.

This is another mixed fund holding a lot of bonds (including junk and emerging market bonds) and some stocks, also international. The initial sales charge is up to 5.25%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.25%.

I think it's safe to say that the person who recommended these funds is highly likely to be maximizing his/her sales commissions. Your interests are secondary, if that.

All three of these funds are high cost. You can do better, much better.
BBCWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

This is a global bond fund, and it's about 2/3rds junk bonds. There's an initial sales charge of up to 5%, and the fund manager's fee alone is 1.25% per year.

I think this is called the "BGF Dynamic High Income Fund." It's an actively managed fund, and it's also global, albeit not so well diversified. It currently does a lot of covered call writing, holds a decent chunk of junk bonds, makes floating rate loans, a little emerging market debt.... Just a bunch of oddball (and rather risky) stuff. The initial sales charge is up to 5%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.5%.

This is another mixed fund holding a lot of bonds (including junk and emerging market bonds) and some stocks, also international. The initial sales charge is up to 5.25%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.25%.

I think it's safe to say that the person who recommended these funds is highly likely to be maximizing his/her sales commissions. Your interests are secondary, if that.

All three of these funds are high cost. You can do better, much better.
But to be fair I have never seen a bank that actually charges "up to 5%" for the initial sales charge
eD1s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #13

But to be fair I have never seen a bank that actually charges "up to 5%" for the initial sales charge
I personally have seen many being charge 3-5%.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

You have never? Go to maybank, they charge 5% sales charge. My mum was charged 3.5% at UOB. Dollardex, FSM, Philip's charge zero fees, I don't why people still go to bank to get chopped.
antonpoh likes this.
hwmook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #15

I personally have seen many being charge 3-5%.
You have never? Go to maybank, they charge 5% sales charge. My mum was charged 3.5% at UOB. Dollardex, FSM, Philip's charge zero fees, I don't why people still go to bank to get chopped.
wah then i count myself lucky as dbs just 0.82%.
3-5% is indeed ridiculous. dump the RM immediately.

Last edited by eD1s0n; 06-11-2019 at 09:20 PM..
eD1s0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.