Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGate888

Reaction score
I want to take advantage of the weak USD now and convert some SGD to USD, place them in 2-3 years USD FD and later use this money for my son's education in the US. So, besides, SBI and ICICI anywhere else offers good rates for USD FD now?

US dollar gonna depreciate against strong sing dollar. Are you sure u wanna do that? Think again. After QEII from US, there might be QEIII, QEIV, etc....

kyma

Master Member
Reaction score
I know.

In the long term I dare say or bet that USD will drop.
True. But it will not be a straight line drop. Or else, all the foreign currency traders are all trillionaires now. After Obama is re-elected, then it will drop for another few years as he cannot serve more than 2 terms. So, he will heck care liao! :)

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
CNY FD promo from SIF~ :o

source: http://www.sif.com.sg/promotions.htm

ST110120SIFFD.jpg

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
poster so big but not a mention of the interest rate. or are they just giving out cans of abalone in lieu of interest? :s13:

Cashcow

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can get higher returns elsewhere and can use the returns buy 10 cans of abalone oso no problem.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really? Care to share your reasons for thinking so? This will be important for me.

I got no reasons. USD for short term speculation is ok if you got reasons that it will appreciate.

But in the long term, history has proven that USD will go down and down from a fixed rate of $3 when I was schooling.

Not long ago, some in this forum did not believe that USD will go down from 1.45 to now about 1.30.

I got some USD 3k under my mattress that was left over from a trip when the rate was 1.80. Earlier trip, the rate was 2.20.

jaaaack

Reaction score
hi guys, need some advice here.

i'm planning to study in the UK some time in late 2012/early 2013. should i take advantage of the weaker pound now(about $2.05:£1) and convert the full fees for FD in preparation for my education? or should i convert a certain sum monthly to achieve a more balanced, average amount? thank you!

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i'm planning to study in the UK some time in late 2012/early 2013. should i take advantage of the weaker pound now(about $2.05:£1) and convert the full fees for FD in preparation for my education? or should i convert a certain sum monthly to achieve a more balanced, average amount? thank you!

I doubt anyone can answer you. Obviously you are in a fixed.

To convert now is to take a risk or gamble. Not to convert is also a risk or a gamble. I hate such situation.

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

put in short term pounds/s$ currency swop for the higher interest and the if sway sway got converted, you can always use the pounds for your education and keep the balance in a multi currency acct and wait for the forex rate to be in your favour and rinse and repeat.

tan1688

Reaction score
simple convert half of what you require in pounds today ...

if pounds drop in future the pounds exchanged today is average out.

if pounds rise in future, wait again for pounds to drop ..

beehive3783

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fairprice Plus savings account rates are getting lower and lower, do you think I should terminate the account and move the monies into my existing Maybank iSavvy Savings a/c?

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Fairprice Plus savings account rates are getting lower and lower, do you think I should terminate the account and move the monies into my existing Maybank iSavvy Savings a/c?

Just put 10cents inside the FPP account. :o

Keep it to earn linkpoints and 8% discount for housbrands. :o

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

FPP don't have the minimum charge. So if the account falls to 10cents, they don't charge you. This is the big PLUS for the account. Good for you. You don't park money here. You transit money here.

beehive3783

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips mosmos and genie, I guess I will just withdraw whatever I can from the FPP a/c and transfer to my iSavvy a/c for better interest rates.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips mosmos and genie, I guess I will just withdraw whatever I can from the FPP a/c and transfer to my iSavvy a/c for better interest rates.

It is my salary deposit account. Which means all the GIRO goes through it as well. The money transits here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.