Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, if I bank transfer from other bank to Maybank isavvy account in a few batches of deposits (due to bank transfer limit) over two days (Today & Tomorrow) to make up $50,000. So the base interest I will get end Feb is 0.38% of $50,000= $190. Bonus interest in March is 1.62% of $50,000=$810. So in total I will get $190+$810=$1000.

Is my calculation correct?

Ocean has already replied you on the interest calculation.

Today is already 9 Feb and Feb has only 28 days.

My opinion is that you might want to wait and transfer on 1 Mar after checking the interest rate for the new cycle which will probably have Feb as reference month.

If you transfer in Feb, your deposit will only earn prorated bonus interest for Feb (credited in first week of Mar). And you will not earn bonus interest for Mar and Apr as Feb will likely be reference month for the new cycle.

Last edited:

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why go for 12m FD at 1.9% only. Rates are rising. Might as well go for maybank at 2.0% in Feb. Thereafter, surely others will no less than 1.9% for savings account, like SCB.

some ppl are paranoid and do not want to play the merry go round game or take the risk to do so every 2 months, so they rather stick to FDs which are safer and straightforward

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
some ppl are paranoid and do not want to play the merry go round game or take the risk to do so every 2 months, so they rather stick to FDs which are safer and straightforward

Two primary reasons lah.
First for some people, their time is more valuable than the extra money from the interest generated.
Second is to lock-in the rate in case there is a black swan event, and interest rates go south very rapidly.

Another possible reason is some people are afraid that they would forget to take the necessary follow-up actions on maturity. Or they may make careless mistakes during transaction & its processing.

For me, it is lesser drain on my energy so I can spend more time to laze around lah. 哈哈。
Life is short bro .... later ended up got not enough time to spend your money yo...

Last edited:

xiaonajia

Reaction score
Why go for 12m FD at 1.9% only. Rates are rising. Might as well go for maybank at 2.0% in Feb. Thereafter, surely others will no less than 1.9% for savings account, like SCB.

Icbc is 1.98 percent if u open saving acc and do it online. Saving acc no need min balance.

Actually the reason why rates are rising is due to US Federal reserve raising rates right?

But tiagong with trade war, rates are frozen for now but still going up in the future.

What's the historical norm for us rates if it's not slowing or expanding? Ie the sweet spot rate

Last edited:

fifi_kai

Reaction score
anyone put fixed deposit with CIMB before? i opened a new account online and transfer in $1000, but no notitication from CIMB that they received my money.

i called cimb and they said that they will only notify me after 2-3 days once the bank backend process it. why so slow!!! other banks are immediate leh

bladez87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
scb raising FD rates again in march.

raised twice within 6 months.

is there a home mortgage thread here?

chill_lax

Reaction score

I just signed for this. Every 3 months got the option to take principal and interest out. So at least the flexibility is there. If keep for 12 months..1.95% effective interest. But most probably I will relook every 3 months to see if there are better offers anywhere.

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just signed for this. Every 3 months got the option to take principal and interest out. So at least the flexibility is there. If keep for 12 months..1.95% effective interest. But most probably I will relook every 3 months to see if there are better offers anywhere.

its a good choice

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

not every 2 months meh?

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
zR1QiAp.jpg

Devilsire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybank 2% and scb 1.9% are always better than 1.9-2% 6-12mths FD as u'll be compounding interest+base monthly, unless interest rate drop

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

K_E_N_L_A_W

Reaction score

not looking at citibank maxigain? getting > 2% and interest can withdraw every month?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.