HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

Like Tree638Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #2911
Supremacy Member

but never say never though.. lehman brothers was also thought to be too big to fail back then..
always dun hv to worry until something happens, ultimately own decision and blame no one else when such things happen
As the Hokkien saying goes, "If you sway, rear bird also can fly away."

AAA rating government bonds I also don't trust 100%. We just have to diversify our risks into different currencies to hedge and protect purchasing power.

Too big to fail is a scam.
Mr.Canberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #2912

Well technically the overall interest earned with the 2.05% promotion will be less because Maybank requires that you place at least 10% of the FD amount in a savings account that earns 0.1875% pa (up to $50k). For the interest return I would say the 2.00% pa promotion is better.

https://info.maybank2u.com.sg/promot...isavvy-td.aspx
then like that the current OCBC $110 NTUC voucher for every $10,000 FD (mut hold for 6mths) is better mah.... abt 2.25% pa

wah interest rates keep going up, and the best deal is barely 2.25%
Old 29-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #2913
Supremacy Member

hi guys for those who got like 500K cash and afraid of bank run so you guys spread to more than 10 banks for the 50K SDIC protection ?
hwarzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #2914

then like that the current OCBC $110 NTUC voucher for every $10,000 FD (mut hold for 6mths) is better mah.... abt 2.25% pa

wah interest rates keep going up, and the best deal is barely 2.25%
Can share the URL?
demoforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #2915

Can share the URL?
Can see this promo on ocbc website but when I click for more details, it keeps going back to same page.

Go down to the branch n ask, you need to sign a form there no matter u open a new account or use existing account. It is ending by this month.
ixora2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #2916

https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...oksavings.html

Can see this promo on ocbc website but when I click for more details, it keeps going back to same page.

Go down to the branch n ask, you need to sign a form there no matter u open a new account or use existing account. It is ending by this month.
lzydata likes this.
JustDoLor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #2917

hi guys for those who got like 500K cash and afraid of bank run so you guys spread to more than 10 banks for the 50K SDIC protection ?
u can joint name with your loved ones...that is 100k protection. then just 5 banks will do. if u cannot find a loved one you can trust,...do PM me,..

for that kind of cash, best to buy wholesale bonds. not only possible to get 5% coupon,...sometimes lucky can enjoy capital gains also...

i used to waste time and literally money putting money in FDs...
yongsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #2918
Featured Sponsor for Money Mind, EDMW

Can share the URL?

Hi both,

The Terms & Conditions for the promotion can be found here: https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...ny-tnc2019.pdf

Do note that the promotion will end on 31 January 2019. If you are interested, do visit our branches as soon as possible.

If you have further questions, do drop us a private message. We will be here till 8pm.

Otherwise, you could also call our hotline at 1800 363 3333.

^DG

OCBC Bank: Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
OCBC Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #2919

Hi both,

The Terms & Conditions for the promotion can be found here: https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...ny-tnc2019.pdf

Do note that the promotion will end on 31 January 2019. If you are interested, do visit our branches as soon as possible.

If you have further questions, do drop us a private message. We will be here till 8pm.

Otherwise, you could also call our hotline at 1800 363 3333.

^DG
hi,
ending 31 Jan or 28 Feb?

extract from your T&C:
The Promotion commences on 2 January 2019 and ends on 28 February 2019 or such date(s) as may be determined
and notified by OCBC Bank in its sole discretion (“Promotion Period”).

Also, i experienced this nightmare of OCBC sending the vouchers via registered mail using SingPost, It took me almost 3 weeks to retrieve the lost mail. possible to consider Qexpress or a letter to redeem it at NTUC etc..?
sesame246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #2920
Featured Sponsor for Money Mind, EDMW

hi,
ending 31 Jan or 28 Feb?

extract from your T&C:
The Promotion commences on 2 January 2019 and ends on 28 February 2019 or such date(s) as may be determined
and notified by OCBC Bank in its sole discretion (“Promotion Period”).

Also, i experienced this nightmare of OCBC sending the vouchers via registered mail using SingPost, It took me almost 3 weeks to retrieve the lost mail. possible to consider Qexpress or a letter to redeem it at NTUC etc..?
Hi there,

Due to overwhelming response, the promotion will end on 31 January 2019.

Thank you for your feedback. We will share it with the relevant department for their review. However, at the moment, all vouchers will be sent via registered mail using SingPost.

^DG

OCBC Bank: Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
OCBC Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #2921

As the Hokkien saying goes, "If you sway, rear bird also can fly away."

AAA rating government bonds I also don't trust 100%. We just have to diversify our risks into different currencies to hedge and protect purchasing power.

Too big to fail is a scam.
Govt bonds you don’t trust ?
So tell me how do you hedge in different currencies ?
Hulky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #2922
Supremacy Member

Just buy govt Tbills.

One year at about 2% interest. It is 100% guaranteed by the govt.
SKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #2923

Hi there,

Due to overwhelming response, the promotion will end on 31 January 2019.

Thank you for your feedback. We will share it with the relevant department for their review. However, at the moment, all vouchers will be sent via registered mail using SingPost.

^DG
The ocbc promotion is over.
mangomilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #2924
Master Member

The ocbc promotion is over.
over then over, take so long to pay us the voucher and interest so low... not interested ....

and dun even know will really get the voucher or not..
tiertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #2925

shoutout to bros who PMed me on wholesale bonds....got a few queries so i thought i answered it here one shot...sorry for being brief as this is a FD thread.

1. do check with your RM or any security bond desk on the actual process of buying bonds. as long as u have the moolah, it is not as 'strict' as one imagined...
2. bond investment is a no brainer. just stick with investment grade ones or those wholly owned by Temasek. all the analysis has been done for you already. dont even need to read the prospectus yourself. the rest of the bond universe are literally 'JUNK'.
3. my bond portfolio average coupon rate is 4.66%. i have a rental property that gives me NET rental yield of 2.4% plus tenant headache while bank FD/SSB gives about 2%. Its no brainer which instrument i prefer these days.
even
LTA/HDB bonds are giving better than bank FDs! LTA/HDB will be around as long the island does not sink.
4. its nonsense bonds are bought to be kept long term and cannot sell. when prices go up like in recent weeks, there are good capital gains to be made. so can sell anytime. but for me will not sell as giving good coupons.
yongsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.