HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Make good cpf investment a/c losses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Make good cpf investment a/c losses?

Long ago, i set up a Cpfis a/c, made some equities purchases but sold them later on at a loss, I think. This is why when I check my cpf statements, it always says i have used $X amount for investment when i know for sure i have long liquidated all my investment, my cpfis a/c has zero holdings.

I just hate seeing this $X amount there, can i sort of pay back to my own cpf with cash to remove this amount? Does it make sense to do this?
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #2

Maybe u are confused with the amount of money cpf allows for investment.
wutawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

the only way u can make it disappear is to make the money back via another new investments.
apriliasiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Long ago, i set up a Cpfis a/c, made some equities purchases but sold them later on at a loss, I think. This is why when I check my cpf statements, it always says i have used $X amount for investment when i know for sure i have long liquidated all my investment, my cpfis a/c has zero holdings.

I just hate seeing this $X amount there, can i sort of pay back to my own cpf with cash to remove this amount? Does it make sense to do this?
Means you still owing CPFIS money and that would constraint your available amount for investment.

I believe you can request to make good the loss by putting in cash. But why would anyone wants to do that? The money going back to OA will earn 2.5% whereas if you put in the same amount as voluntary contribution, part of it will go into accounts earning 4%, or would be earning 4% if use the cash to top up your Special Account. Nevermind the irritating statement.

My Statement - Investment shows -

Net amount used for CPFIS-OA is 0.
Cost of stock investment $xxx,xxx
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #5

Means you still owing CPFIS money and that would constraint your available amount for investment.

I believe you can request to make good the loss by putting in cash. But why would anyone wants to do that? The money going back to OA will earn 2.5% whereas if you put in the same amount as voluntary contribution, part of it will go into accounts earning 4%, or would be earning 4% if use the cash to top up your Special Account. Nevermind the irritating statement.

My Statement - Investment shows -

Net amount used for CPFIS-OA is 0.
Cost of stock investment $xxx,xxx
Hi

What does it mean if Net Amount Used (OA) = negative value
layang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi

What does it mean if Net Amount Used (OA) = negative value
Will never be shown as negative. This amount is indicated as zero when the amount refunded is more than amount withdrawn from CPF for investment.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #7

Hi henrylbh

I was looking for answer and found a response by u in 2013 saying that your net amount used was negative 40k. So I assume that 40k is profit from CPF investment. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Tks
Old 12-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi henrylbh

I was looking for answer and found a response by u in 2013 saying that your net amount used was negative 40k. So I assume that 40k is profit from CPF investment. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Tks
Yes you can view that as part of profit as you have put back more into OA than you have withdrawn for investment.

CPF statement will always show zero at the least. I could have mentioned negative 40k, that's my own record. Though my statement currently shows zero as shown above, my own record has a negative of 28,652.

Last edited by henrylbh; 12-01-2020 at 11:27 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 11:41 PM   #9

I see. Thanks a lot for your sharing.
Old 13-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #10

Ya, just an irritation. Donít mind to pay to get rid of it.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #11

Ya, just an irritation. Don’t mind to pay to get rid of it.
To get rid of it, just invest and make profits to wipe it out. It is just a record of losses u made investing your OA.

It will be there forever until u do the above.

Mine is OA (-15k) SA (-24K) from my one time investment donkey years ago. Never invest after that!

Read this from CPF website:

Net Amount Used (Investment)

This is the amount you have withdrawn for CPFIS investments less refunds from the sale or maturity of your investments, dividends etc.

A positive amount does not necessarily mean you have made losses unless you have sold off all your investments.

A negative amount usually means you have made profits because you have refunded more than the amount you have withdrawn.

Please refer to your agent bank portfolio statement (for CPFIS-OA) or your CPFIS-Special Account Portfolio Statement (for CPFIS-SA) for the details of your investment holdings.
maple96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #12

Sorry to hijack thread.. but seems many experts here...
I hv worthless shares in CPFIS acct but there are no buyers. Any idea hw to get them out of cpfis acct?
Got huge sell Q everyday so i cant even do a normal sgx transection to buy myself out from cpfis acct.
yoongf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

I hv worthless shares in CPFIS acct but there are no buyers. Any idea hw to get them out of cpfis acct?
Any particular reasons why it matters? If youíre living with OCD (seriously, not joking ó some people do) then maybe this stuff matters, but otherwise?
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sorry to hijack thread.. but seems many experts here...
Got huge sell Q everyday so i cant even do a normal sgx transection to buy myself out from cpfis acct.
Wait till you are 55 to close CPFIS account.

Or

Apply to buy over the worthless with cash and close your CPFIS account.

Or

Don't ever view your CPFIS account if it's annoying.
Old 13-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

As Fri closing, I have net unrealised loss of $12,858 in CPFIS statement
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.