Medishield Comparison. Find out which is the cheapest

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Can I ask if I have benign conditions of certain systems, will I be excluded from coverage against malignancies of those systems?

And which is the best H&S policy to get for children?

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Can I ask if I have benign conditions of certain systems, will I be excluded from coverage against malignancies of those systems?

It depends on what kind of benign tumour. Some may have tendency to be malignant in future.

H&S for new born, AIA has some clause that it will cover all conditions if upon approval of shield plan, child has no known condition while for other insurers they can choose to exclude a claim if found within 2yrs of inception of shield plan.

Mayb agents can verify on this

kevinkoh1992

Reaction score
What are the plans and riders that people get as they age? e.g. into their 55s?

Do they still stay with private plans with first dollar coverage?
Or do people usual downgrade to like B2 and co-insurance riders to obtain as-charged coverage?

Bigoya

Reaction score

Underwriters will decide, case by case basis.
There's one particular company which is more likely to offer loading than exclusion. There's also another company that is very strict with underwriting and would offer a less favourable exclusion for a same case compared to other companies.

For newborn I suggest AIA. For kids/adults AXA/NTUC/Aviva (each have their pros and cons depending on what you fancy)

Last edited:

Bigoya

Reaction score
What are the plans and riders that people get as they age? e.g. into their 55s?

Do they still stay with private plans with first dollar coverage?
Or do people usual downgrade to like B2 and co-insurance riders to obtain as-charged coverage?

Question is what can you afford without depleting your cash/income before your life comes to an end?

If u are filty rich and wants best coverage, u get Pte plans or even global plans. If you barely have enough to retire perhaps downgrade to a ward A plan. If you cant even afford to retire please get yourself a B1/2 plan, ofcos, unless your kids are paying premiums for you.

For Pte and most often A ward plans, riders are really important. But for B2 and below, maybe not so much since bills are relatively cheaper with subsidies and stuff.

exterminazn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi got question regarding deductible.

1) deductible for all shield plan is only payable once per policy year?

Let's say my 1st hospitalization bill is 5k and deductible is 3k. I will need to cough out the 3k and co insurance.

Then I kena another hospitalization in the same policy year. How much should I be paying??

Hi experts, up for help

Wander

Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently, I have a Prushield A Premier plan and I looking to add on rider.

By adding on rider, does that means that I am 100% covered and I do not have to fork out single cent if I happen to get hospitalized?

Bigoya

Reaction score
Hi All,

By adding on rider, does that means that I am 100% covered and I do not have to fork out single cent if I happen to get hospitalized?

PruShield A Premier is on a different level compared to other Shield plans in the market.
Depending on which rider you add, you may encounter up to 3x more rider premiums if you make a certain claim amount for Pte hospital, or for the other 2 available rider options, u would still be subjeced to deductibles and/or co-payment.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The direct answer is yes, with caveats:

1. Bigoya's caveat, that Prudential reserves the right to increase premiums, for you, for their highest cost rider.

2. There is no coverage of medical issues related to preexisting conditions. For example, if you signed up for the base policy in 2013, developed a hernia in 2016, then signed up for a rider in 2017, you'll have base policy coverage for hospitalization related to the hernia but not rider coverage.

3. The coverage only applies to the specific enumerated medical services. It doesn't cover absolutely everything a private hospital could charge.

4. There is an annual cap. Once Prudential's payouts hit the annual cap, they pay nothing more for any medical expenses incurred during the rest of the calendar year. A rider typically does not lift the annual cap but instead consumes it somewhat faster.

If you're going to get a rider, I recommend one of the two lower cost riders they offer, in part because of Bigoya's caveat.

Last edited:

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:33am me200, candy188, and 1 more like this
Post Options
Post by oldman on Nov 15, 2015 at 9:33am
As I am now a consumer of healthcare insurance, what I am learning about insurance companies scares me even more. I was in hospital for a few weeks in Oct and chalked up a bill of well over $100,000, which I had to pay out of my own pocket first. I blamed the hospital for being too kiasu by getting money from me first.

Then, a letter from the insurance company arrived and stating that they will not be paying anything until my oncologist replies to their list of questions. The insurance company tells that this process can easily take another 10 weeks! I then called my oncologist who kindly filled up the list of questionaire and sent it back to the insurance company. Let me see whether the insurance company finds other ways of dragging its feet.

Of course no one wants to stay in hospital for a few weeks unless he is very sick! Glad to say, I am now on the road to recovery ... but have still to sort out these insurance issues which I previously thought will be transparent to me. How wrong I was!

For those with private health insurance cover, be aware.... your policy may require you to have a few hundred thousand dollars sitting idle in the bank..... yes, this is not mentioned even in the fine print and certainly will not be mentioned by your insurance agent!

At best, if you have private healthcare insurance and intend to make use of the private hospitals or approved clinics, you should view your insurance plan as a reimbursement plan.... you have to pay upfront first and your insurance company hopefully will pay you back ( yes, there will be clauses in your insurance plan to allow them the flexibility of reviewing all charges before paying you back). Payback time is also up to the insurance company.
Last Edit: Dec 12, 2015 at 10:20am by oldman
© Pertama.com

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Assuming you don't hit the policy year maximum, just the co-pay. The deductible is counted once per individual per policy year.

This is smth new for me . All the while I thought it is based on per hospitalisation.

Isit standard across all insurers?

*edit : just check with my agent. Deductible applies per policy yr. Only co-insurance is per hospitalisation

Last edited:

Wander

Reaction score
The direct answer is yes, with caveats:

1. Bigoya's caveat, that Prudential reserves the right to increase premiums, for you, for their highest cost rider.

2. There is no coverage of medical issues related to preexisting conditions. For example, if you signed up for the base policy in 2013, developed a hernia in 2016, then signed up for a rider in 2017, you'll have base policy coverage for hospitalization related to the hernia but not rider coverage.

3. The coverage only applies to the specific enumerated medical services. It doesn't cover absolutely everything a private hospital could charge.

4. There is an annual cap. Once Prudential's payouts hit the annual cap, they pay nothing more for any medical expenses incurred during the rest of the calendar year. A rider typically does not lift the annual cap but instead consumes it somewhat faster.

If you're going to get a rider, I recommend one of the two lower cost riders they offer, in part because of Bigoya's caveat.

1. Wow didn't know about this.

3. But it's more than good enough right?

4. It means that if there are alot ppl who claims and it hits the annual cap, I won't be able to cover myself for expenses anymore?

Thank you so much for the input!

May I know what is the two lower cost riders

Bigoya

Reaction score
1. Wow didn't know about this.

4. It means that if there are alot ppl who claims and it hits the annual cap, I won't be able to cover myself for expenses anymore?

Thank you so much for the input!

9FBofmH.png

1. That's the 1st rider.

3. That's the most you can get. For most cases it's good enough, just don't take it for granted that EVERYTHING is covered and get caught in a rude shock if one day insurer say "this particular thing is not covered".

4. This annual cap is only applicable for your own claims. Other people's claim does not affect you.

The two lower cost rider is the 2nd and 3rd rider.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prudential offers one of the better Integrated Shield plans, so I suppose it'll have to be "good enough." ;) More seriously, there are some medical conditions that can run right past even the best Integrated Shield plans. To some extent you can avoid that problem, if you run into it, if you stick with the public medical system (restructured hospitals, public community hospitals, public clinics) where care is subsidized and costs are more tightly controlled. If you think you're in danger of blowing past the annual limit, that'll help.

There are still some holes, though. As one example, Hepatitis C is "strange" because it doesn't necessarily land you in the hospital (at least not right away), it's curable in most cases (with daily pills taken for 12 to 24 weeks), and those pills are very expensive. Integrated Shield plans don't pay for drugs unless they happen to be prescribed in relation to care that is covered. HIV treatment isn't well covered, to pick another example.

There are three riders listed in the brochure. The riders with "lite" and "Saver" in their names are the ones that are not subject to individualized premium increases based on your particular claims.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prudential offers one of the better Integrated Shield plans, so I suppose it'll have to be "good enough." ;)
Let me explore this point a little more seriously.

One possible approach is to buy non-Integrated Shield medical insurance that offers more comprehensive coverage. Companies like Cigna, Aetna, and and a few others offer such "executive" insurance. It's rather expensive, of course.

Wander

Reaction score
9FBofmH.png

1. That's the 1st rider.

3. That's the most you can get. For most cases it's good enough, just don't take it for granted that EVERYTHING is covered and get caught in a rude shock if one day insurer say "this particular thing is not covered".

4. This annual cap is only applicable for your own claims. Other people's claim does not affect you.

The two lower cost rider is the 2nd and 3rd rider.

I see.

Thanks a alot for the attachment and advice!

Think probably might just go for the 1st one instead.

Wander

Reaction score
Prudential offers one of the better Integrated Shield plans, so I suppose it'll have to be "good enough." ;) More seriously, there are some medical conditions that can run right past even the best Integrated Shield plans. To some extent you can avoid that problem, if you run into it, if you stick with the public medical system (restructured hospitals, public community hospitals, public clinics) where care is subsidized and costs are more tightly controlled. If you think you're in danger of blowing past the annual limit, that'll help.

Yes looks alright to me, I was trying to take a look at other company's offer and it seems abit more complicated to understand.

Sticking with public medical system instead of private one, that applies through for all the three types of rider right?

There are three riders listed in the brochure. The riders with "lite" and "Saver" in their names are the ones that are not subject to individualized premium increases based on your particular claims.

Thanks for pointing that out to me! Didn't saw it on the brochure i downloaded, shall go read through it again.

Bigoya

Reaction score
I see.

Thanks a alot for the attachment and advice!

Think probably might just go for the 1st one instead.

Just make sure you find out how this works before making a decision:

MWhcx5M.png

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...rivate-hospitals-5588636-7.html#post107183050

Also, this thread is here just so that you could lean more about what you are buying and make better comparisons so that you can make the best decision. Make sure you don't just come in and ask question only.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.