Money Saving Techniques

Reaction score
When the air-con is switched on, the door & windows of the room will be closed. So if the air-con is auto-switched off in the middle of the night while the person is sleeping, the fan will just circulate stale air within the room. Is there a risk of suffocation:s11:

abstractthoughts

Reaction score
Don't use aircon? Use fan blowing directly at you. That's what I've been doing all year. I think I switch on the aircon only once or twice a quarter.

jumpmanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When the air-con is switched on, the door & windows of the room will be closed. So if the air-con is auto-switched off in the middle of the night while the person is sleeping, the fan will just circulate stale air within the room. Is there a risk of suffocation:s11:
you wont. :s22:

emo_boi

Reaction score
Don't use aircon? Use fan blowing directly at you. That's what I've been doing all year. I think I switch on the aircon only once or twice a quarter.

don't even have an air-cond.
Sometimes we are so sticky afterwards and have to take a couple of shower.

abstractthoughts

Reaction score
Just wondering..I reread most of the old posts and it seems like most people dont have any ONE thing they need to spend to indulge on monthly. Not saying it is a must but it is human nature to buy something or indulge in some hobby aside from saving.

So, what is the ONE thing you cannot save on but want to cut down? Could be movies, gambling ??!

For me, it is movies, CDs, books and stuff for my doggies. I just dont want to go to the library or download, I want to own the stuff.:D

epsilon8

Reaction score
[Yahoo Finance] Five Signs That You're Living Beyond Your Means

[Yahoo Finance] Five Signs That You're Living Beyond Your Means (USA-centric advice)
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...ve-Signs-That-You're-Living-Beyond-Your-Means
Are You Living Beyond Your Means?
Sign No. 1 - Your Credit Score is Below 600 (In USA - is there an equivalent in SG?)
Sign No. 2 - You are Saving Less Than 5%
Quote:"Ideally, everyone should try to save as much as they can, but in terms of targets, the rule most financial advisors suggest is 10% of your gross income. Beginning at age 30, if you were to save 10% of your $100,000 annual income in your 401(k)*, or $10,000 every year, and earn a rate of return of 5%, that money would grow to more than $900,000 by age 65" (in US$, reflecting the cost of living there, * similar to our CPF)
Sign No. 3 - Your Credit Card Balances are Rising
Quote: "If you are one of those people who pays only the minimum due on their credit card balance each month, or if you send in only a small contribution toward the principal balance, then you are most likely in over your head.
Sign No. 4 - More Than 28% of Income Goes To Your House (city/state specific?)
Quote: "Calculate what percentage of your monthly income goes toward your mortgage, property taxes and insurance. If it's more than 28% of your gross income, then you are likely in over your head.
Why is 28% the magic number? Historically, conservative lenders have used the 28% threshold because their experience has told them that this is the rate at which the average person can get by, make their mortgage payments and still enjoy a reasonable standard of living. Certainly, some homeowners can get by spending a higher percentage on their homes, particularly if they cut back elsewhere, but it's a dangerous line to walk."
Sign No. 5 - Your Bills are Spiraling Out of Control
Quote:"Buying on credit and paying by installment has become a national pastime. It's much easier to buy a new flatscreeen TV when the salesman breaks down the price in monthly installments. What's an extra $50 per month, right? The problem is that all of these bills start to add up, and you end up nickel and diming yourself into bankruptcy. If your monthly income is being sliced and diced to pay for dozens of unnecessary installment purchases and services, you are likely in over your head."

kyrandia

Reaction score
Nowadays, you can see more people parking themselves in the public libraries enjoying free electricity and airconditioning and access to books, audio-visual materials and cd-roms. Good way to spend an evening without spending a single cent other than transport.

Al-Jay

Reaction score
power bills going up by est 20%. looks like we got to cut consumption more!

My electricity bill will affect me but likely minimum cos my 5 room flat usage is < $40 with gas, water and electricity.

Monthly about 60kW now. 2 person mainly watching TV on 29" CRT, DVD HDD recorder, 1 ceiling fan, 1 energy saving light bulb (25W to 100W) type almost 5 yrs now and still going, 1 tower fan on timer for sleeping, fridge from F&P with 2-3 ticks, uses PC on weekends, charge my iRobot daily, cook only on weekends. Leverage off in-laws one street away on weekdays' dinner.

6mths ago about 100kW

Off the aircon main switch outside the ledge, save almost 25kW. till today makes no sense to me.

Got a free LCD monitor, change my PC CRT to LCD, save 10kW.

Making sure all electrical points is off, save 5kW.

Recently got 3 Philips motion sensor white LED light (need 3 AAA battery), placed at strategic area in the house, so that when one walk pass, it will light up the area for 15secs (no need to switch on and off ceiling lights).

1222821282d6a3125b4a.jpg

epsilon8

Reaction score
10 Stupid Ways That Smart People Waste Money

[] 10 Stupid Ways That Smart People Waste Money (USA-centric)
You're smart, but even smart people sometimes do stupid things with their money.
Smart people are often forgetful, or lazy, or busy, or have enough money that
they don't worry about wasting it. Bad idea! Wasting money is always uncool.
Here are a 10 stupid ways that even smart people waste money... and a few ideas for how to stop the leak.
1) Forgetting To Pay Bills
2) Bank Fees
3) Tickets (traffic)
4) Memberships
5) Subscriptions
6) Letting food spoil in the fridge
7) Wasting Energy
8) Letting your money sit in a checking account
9) Buying DVDs you will never, ever watch, or books you'll never read, or clothes you will never wear..
10) Paying too much for cable
Details at
http://consumerist.com/consumer/plu...ways-that-smart-people-waste-money-295190.php

coffeeSG

Reaction score
Recently got 3 Philips motion sensor white LED light (need 3 AAA battery), placed at strategic area in the house, so that when one walk pass, it will light up the area for 15secs (no need to switch on and off ceiling lights).

which shop sells this sensor light? price?

Al-Jay

Reaction score
I think I got it at 16.90 prompt time. Then I buy 65 worth of item and pay 55. Still got 5% discount on the 55 cos posb everyday card. So about 14+

cnotsniw

Reaction score
I bought the no-name version at Carrefour $1/$2 section for $1 ... although no auto-on/off, serves the same function =)

No looking for long lasting rechargeable batteries to power this baby.

Any one got good and cheap brands to recommend? :p

Al-Jay

Reaction score
The $1 with 3 white LED is home brand if i am not wrong. I have 6 of this as well! I am powering them with Li-Ion battery (samples that I got from supplier). Using them as bed side lamp!

Also have the 24 white LED lamp in my kitchen powered by 4 AA size battery! The 24 white LED is about 5 to 6 bucks at ABC!

Al-Jay

Reaction score