HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on which bank to park my assets

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #61

Can start to buy stocks this week. Watch for STI to break 3K. Hit the banks, all 3 of them. Small bites, all the way down and then up. Make your 3M last. Forget the t-bills. Good dividend stocks are going to get better.
I bought a little today, DBS and OCBC. Hope tomorrow drops more so I can collect UOB as well. Yes, I will most likely pass on the t-bills, looks like Christmas is coming early for me. Going to collect more REITS, especially the Mapletree family. I don't like the Keppel family anymore although they form a good part of my portfolio. I am thinking of switching them out for something else.. hmmm..
PIayDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #62

Don't buy the reits yet. They are not attractive at the moment. You want counters which give you both capital gains as well as good dividends. Reits hardly dropped.
kei00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #63
Master Member

I bought a little today, DBS and OCBC. Hope tomorrow drops more so I can collect UOB as well. Yes, I will most likely pass on the t-bills, looks like Christmas is coming early for me. Going to collect more REITS, especially the Mapletree family. I don't like the Keppel family anymore although they form a good part of my portfolio. I am thinking of switching them out for something else.. hmmm..
But why UOB or OCBC? DBS at current rate gives 5% div yields, double or nearly triple what the other 2 banks are paying.
WC32890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #64

UOB. Go.
Old 26-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #65

But why UOB or OCBC? DBS at current rate gives 5% div yields, double or nearly triple what the other 2 banks are paying.
Double or triple? Where did you get your numbers from?
Old 26-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #66

UOB. Go.
Bought twice today. I am like a child in a candy store!
Old 30-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #67

How much of your war chest have been deployed?
Old 30-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #68

How much of your war chest have been deployed?
I have dumped 450K into the banks so far, so 15%. I am worried the market will not drop enough for me to use up all my cash. Every time I see the DJI/futures green I get nervous I will miss the boat. The reits haven't gone down much or I would have bought them as well. I like Sheng Siong but it is too stable and there will not be much capital appreciation in a market reversal.

I just hope this bear market will be as prolonged as possible so that it hits all counters across the board and fearful doomsayers start selling everything, making STI to sub 2K predictions, and holding cash. In time, we will need these same people to rush in for the fear of missing out, to initiate and sustain a forceful market recovery.

My entire portfolio now has a 6-figure unrealised loss
focus1974 likes this.
Old 31-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #69

It is interesting how lucky/timely you are. You returned to the market after so long with a truckload of money and then it dips for you nicely. People have been waiting literally years for this.

The unrealised loss is temporary. It is not reasonable to expect yourself to have sold the entire portfolio before the dip. Just like how we can't predict the lowest point this time so we buy at intervals on the way down. Increase your trade size gradually the lower the market goes. Don't forget to tap on the credit facility if you have to. By the time you need it you should have at least another 1M to play around with. With 5.3M in the market, once it recovers you will realize that enough money is enough, anything much more is just another number in your iWealth app.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #70

Bye bye boat, I will miss you..
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #71

Steady. React to the market action, don't anticipate. If you anticipate, expectations and emotions come in. That's why we buy on the way down and not wait for our predicted "bottom". There are many ways to explain the market action. Leave that to the typical over-analyzing emotional retailer. Focus on the Q3 results and identify your sectors. Market volatility is still high. Wait to enter and this time with greater confidence.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #72
Master Member

Boy oh boy, $3 million SGD in cash?

I mean, I strongly disagree with the idea of parking all that in cash and waiting for a crash that may not come, mostly because piling into the market after a huge crash is hard! Ask anyone who said in 2015-2016 "oh I'll wait for the dip"; the dip came in early 2016 but buying the market when it's plunging goes counter to every instinct that humans have.
Somehow the opposite always seem to come true, no matter how sound his logic seems to be!

Time the market and time the dip!
Purplestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #73

Steady. React to the market action, don't anticipate. If you anticipate, expectations and emotions come in. That's why we buy on the way down and not wait for our predicted "bottom". There are many ways to explain the market action. Leave that to the typical over-analyzing emotional retailer. Focus on the Q3 results and identify your sectors. Market volatility is still high. Wait to enter and this time with greater confidence.
I am taking the opportunity to switch out the "chapalang" counters and streamline my portfolio. Now down from 31 to 25 counters..

Is there any chat group which shares opportunities for specific counters? I am unable to monitor the price action closely due to work. A serious chat group without chitchat
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #74

I am taking the opportunity to switch out the "chapalang" counters and streamline my portfolio. Now down from 31 to 25 counters..

Is there any chat group which shares opportunities for specific counters? I am unable to monitor the price action closely due to work. A serious chat group without chitchat
Don't bother with chat groups. Those that admit you are a waste of time. Worthy ones will not admit you because you have nothing to offer.

Collect some Singtel. Not too much, about $250K in total. Stagger your entry points starting with current price.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #75
Arch-Supremacy Member

You should not be holding so many stocks.

A good size would be 10 stocks per Market you trade/invest.
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.