HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on parent whom overspends on CC

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
UO

Need advice on parent whom overspends on CC

Hi everyone. Seeking advice regarding my retiired dad whom continues to overspends his CC to thousands monthly, unable to control him. His expenditure alone is more than mine and mum combined, is fully paid by both of us. This has been going on for a while but as my mum getting retired and myself having more expenses with upcoming child, we need to control this.

Is it possible for us to head to any government authority to remove Credit cards under my dad's name? We have proof both of us have been paying his bills for years...

Thanks
UO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Master Member

Cancel his card. Problem solved.
No need to thank me.
lifeafter41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Master Member

If only government can do this. Only way is for you not to pay and let him accumulate debt until he bust his credit limit

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
jellyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

Ring fence your family valuable asset, including joint accounts, private property, insurance, etc?

Hard to change the habit unless something drastic happened
ydnar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
UO

We tried cancelling or simply cutting up his Visa and Amex. He simply went back to them to signup for a new card. Property which my parents live on are joint name as well...
Old 10-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

What is he buying? That detail might matter.
BBCWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Don't he have savings or cpf?
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

We tried cancelling or simply cutting up his Visa and Amex. He simply went back to them to signup for a new card. Property which my parents live on are joint name as well...
how can he sign up for a new card when he is unemployed?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

If his is sup card and cancelled, he will not be able get new sup card.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

Why are both if u paying his bills?
Get him to sell his share of the hse to mom or u.
yoongf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Hi everyone. Seeking advice regarding my retiired dad whom continues to overspends his CC to thousands monthly, unable to control him. His expenditure alone is more than mine and mum combined, is fully paid by both of us. This has been going on for a while but as my mum getting retired and myself having more expenses with upcoming child, we need to control this.

Is it possible for us to head to any government authority to remove Credit cards under my dad's name? We have proof both of us have been paying his bills for years...

Thanks
If he is a retiree with no income, he should not be able to apply for any credit cards from bank A (eg) if u terminated/cutoff every single card issued by that bank A.

However, he can still get replacement credit cards from bank A if he reports lost or damage card, if u merely cutoff the card without writing in to the bank to cancel the cards. He can still apply for new cards if he still has a credit card record with the bank that u are not aware of.

What u need to do is write in to bank A to inform the bank that your dad is retired with no income (for them to update their records) and that the family had been paying off his big credit card bills and cannot control his spending/charges. Request the bank to stop issuing any credit facilities to him. Show proof that he is your father, u are the son – the bank needs this proof.

If u still discover that the bank continues to issue credit facilities to him, report to MAS for non-compliance to regulations.
maple96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
UO

If his is sup card and cancelled, he will not be able get new sup card.
The CCs are under his name for over 3 decades...
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
UO

10char....
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
UO

If he is a retiree with no income, he should not be able to apply for any credit cards from bank A (eg) if u terminated/cutoff every single card issued by that bank A.

However, he can still get replacement credit cards from bank A if he reports lost or damage card, if u merely cutoff the card without writing in to the bank to cancel the cards. He can still apply for new cards if he still has a credit card record with the bank that u are not aware of.

What u need to do is write in to bank A to inform the bank that your dad is retired with no income (for them to update their records) and that the family had been paying off his big credit card bills and cannot control his spending/charges. Request the bank to stop issuing any credit facilities to him. Show proof that he is your father, u are the son – the bank needs this proof.

If u still discover that the bank continues to issue credit facilities to him, report to MAS for non-compliance to regulations.
Thanks will try this
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
Master Member

This is familiar, except that the problem is with an unemployed sibling, with parent paying off the bills.

I just wonder why my parent continue to do so..
UO likes this.
Sauzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.