HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need some advice please..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #1

Need some advice please..

I had applied for Bank personal loan, and my sister came to know about it and question me about the reason and caused anxiety and tension in the family. I had gambling debt history but already turned over a new leaf.

Is it legal for bank to disclose customer info to my immediate family without my permission?
Can I seek legal action against the bank which disclosure of my info?
yktan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

I had applied for Bank personal loan, and my sister came to know about it and question me about the reason and caused anxiety and tension in the family. I had gambling debt history but already turned over a new leaf.

Is it legal for bank to disclose customer info to my immediate family without my permission?
You confirmed it's the bank that informed your sister ?

Or did she see some letter lying around ?
Thoreldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

She moved out already.. and I only applied on Friday. She did told me she has friends in credit line as she used to work at bank before changing to other industry

Also, im the only one whom open letter daily..

Last edited by yktan87; 02-12-2019 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

the ans is no, bank cannot reveal customer history to anyone. and yes, you can complaint against the bank. the person who disclose the info will likely be fired from the job depending on how big the issue ish

but don't do it rah
Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

if really is your sis friend in bank told her about your loan, then mean the person violate banking secrecy act. should complain to the bank.
tesarise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #6

Ok thanks bro.. i also dont want her friend get fired because i think my sis is the one who asked her friend to put radar on me..

I will see how it goes, if things get worse, will consider complaining to the bank

Btw, can anyone apply and access to my credit bruea report with just my Nric without my permission?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

Ok thanks bro.. i also dont want her friend get fired because i think my sis is the one who asked her friend to put radar on me..

I will see how it goes, if things get worse, will consider complaining to the bank

Btw, can anyone apply and access to my credit bruea report with just my Nric without my permission?
no. not legally

A. Only Credit Bureau (Singapore) and other MAS-approved institutions participating in Credit Bureau (Singapore) can have access to a consumer's credit report. The purpose for such access is restricted to the assessment of credit-worthiness of the consumers, and further disclosure to any other person is prohibited. All authorised personnel (of both members and the Bureau) will have unique ID and passwords to identify themselves when they access the Bureau´s database. Access by unauthorised personnel is prohibited. All access to the Bureau´s database is tracked.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #8

Do u have any proof that bank disclose your info?
wutawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

For ur own good, don't take the loan. Ur sister has ur interest at heart.
qhong61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

For ur own good, don't take the loan. Ur sister has ur interest at heart.
yet it is still illegal to share customer banking information to someone else without explicit approval.

Customer information in relation to a bank is defined in section 40A of the Act to mean:

any information relating to, or any particulars of, an account of a customer of the bank, whether the account is in respect of a loan, investment or any other type of transaction, but does not include any information that is not referable to any named customer or group of named customers; or
There are criminal liabilities for breach of the banking secrecy provisions in the Act. A bank officer who is in breach of section 47 is liable to a fine not exceeding S$125,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding three years or to both fine and imprisonment, and for the bank a fine, not exceeding S$250,000.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do u have any proof that bank disclose your info?
it’s easy to trace n track if what ts said ish true. but i am nt goin to say anything. aiyo mai cause ppl lose job la, ts gt his ans n say he wont pursue further riao. thread close
Geeezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #12

it’s easy to trace n track if what ts said ish true. but i am nt goin to say anything. aiyo mai cause ppl lose job la, ts gt his ans n say he wont pursue further riao. thread close
Maybe just get OP to tell us which bank, so that we can avoid.

On one hand, agree can give chance should give chance. On other hand, if allegation is true, then that a bank employee is so easily influenced to violate banking secrecy shouldn't be taken lightly.
polyglob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe just get OP to tell us which bank, so that we can avoid.

On one hand, agree can give chance should give chance. On other hand, if allegation is true, then that a bank employee is so easily influenced to violate banking secrecy shouldn't be taken lightly.
This could happen to any other banks.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

How your sister know which bank you applied? And so coincidentally her friend is working at the bank which you applied?
bendi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #15

Thanks all bros for your advice..

@polyglob, I prefer not to state the bank as it is an one-off situational based due to my personal history of gambling all my savings and got into bad debt where she bailed me out.. I dont think the bank staff will anyhow disclose info if you are not in my situation..

She and her friends all meant well for me, but just felt disappointed that my personal loan is not so personal. Moral of the story is once a sinner, will always be branded as sinner

Lucky to know that I still have a bullet on hand to question her source if the quarrel gets nasty

@bendi85, yes, my sis used to hold a management position in a major bank, so she got to know quite a number of people in the line..

Last edited by yktan87; 02-12-2019 at 01:04 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.