Newbie Guide: How to Find a Good Agent for Investment & Insurance?

moejoseph

Reaction score
I have met a fee based agent which recommends getting BOTH term and WL policies.

It was free for the first few sessions. The 2nd session was meeting the mentor and the agent, but the mentor did most of the talking on the 2nd session so I stopped meeting the agent.

The first few posts are edited on 2011, any updates on how to find a better fee-based advisor?

My current advisor recommends me BTIR but he recommended ILP which I didn't take up. Now his response with me is dam slow.

U can also get both term and whole life with a comm based agent who is good. U just have to source around.

Most fee based agents, as u mentioned, charges a fee just to meet u. And for the free sessions they usually use it to train their own advisors or provide a very minimal sharing only. If u need to review your policy in future, or to make some changes or even to claim, you will need to pay them as well, is this what you really want?

Reaction score
Buy term can be via various platform. ILP is because the new ILP are 100% invested and 101% protect you against death and terminal illness in the event the market go south while platform cant protect. That the difference mainly. You dont need a fee base agent to advise you. Anyone of us can advise you just as good.
Buying term and wholelife is depending on individual sometime. Some dont like the feeling of paying and every go down the drain if no claims. While wholelife got a breakeven point.

U can also get both term and whole life with a comm based agent who is good. U just have to source around.

Most fee based agents, as u mentioned, charges a fee just to meet u. And for the free sessions they usually use it to train their own advisors or provide a very minimal sharing only. If u need to review your policy in future, or to make some changes or even to claim, you will need to pay them as well, is this what you really want?

Thanks! Understand now, no wonder I got a free session with the fee-based advisor.

moejoseph

Reaction score
Thanks! Understand now, no wonder I got a free session with the fee-based advisor.

Welcome! My friends got the free session too via like a workplace seminar/lunchtime talk tied up between their company and them. Usually fee based agents can sell a fee companies' products (as per IFA), just that they charge another fee for consultation (like lawyer/doctor etc..)

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score

Welcome. I simply dont know who will actually pay for a fee when actually it can be gotten for free? Unless he can do things that we cant which is impossible.

Maybe people will feel its more professional?

You can read all the advise here, i dont think it will be better for a fee based =)

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Fee-based Advisors here are overrated. Tell me why if an advisor gives you good advice yet you feel it’s not right to pay commissions?

Many people go to advisors for advice and they end up buying on their own even though that is limited to a certain extent.

amazingneil

Reaction score
I feel that at the start it is important to know roughly what kind of coverage you will need based on your which stage you are in life and the number of dependents that you currently have. Do check this website out. I use this website to see what I need as a students to ensure that i am sufficiently covered.

https://web.policypal.com/life-stage

nydeidith

Reaction score
hi guys...for an IFA who is charging 1% fee per annum plus platform fees ...what kind of expected long-term returns is reasonable (say like 20 years time frame)?...is 5% annually after all fees reasonable?...the portfolio will be balanced...also should i be asking what commission he is getting from the products recommended? and what is a reasonable commission rate for him to be getting?

this advisor seems to be quite comprehensive...reviewed my insurance and made various recommendations based on my objectives....would appreciate if bros can give me some more tips what i should look out for before engaging...

thanks!

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have met a fee based agent which recommends getting BOTH term and WL policies.

It was free for the first few sessions. The 2nd session was meeting the mentor and the agent, but the mentor did most of the talking on the 2nd session so I stopped meeting the agent.

The first few posts are edited on 2011, any updates on how to find a better fee-based advisor?

My current advisor recommends me BTIR but he recommended ILP which I didn't take up. Now his response with me is dam slow.

How to sustain the free consultation if you are not buying?

Is just very natural.

GloveK8

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for good IFA. I am only looking to buy term plan with maybe some CI coverage. Any good IFA to recommend? Please pm me. Thanks a lot!

Darth_Yang

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for advisor to manage my family's insurance matters... Pls PM with your BMI and cup size... Tx

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.