HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Premium Financing for Wealth accumulation plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Premium Financing for Wealth accumulation plan

What do u guys think about premium financing, where u can loan money from bank (say 70%) to pay for a single premium policy that give u monthly income?

Example: $500k single premium policy, i only need to fork out $150k, and i could get monthly income $700-800 from 4th policy year onwards, while my principle still growing.

With all the calculation, i might get about 4%-6%pa return of the principle I put in.

Any thoughts?
sherry009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

What do u guys think about premium financing, where u can loan money from bank (say 70%) to pay for a single premium policy that give u monthly income?

Example: $500k single premium policy, i only need to fork out $150k, and i could get monthly income $700-800 from 4th policy year onwards, while my principle still growing.

With all the calculation, i might get about 4%-6%pa return of the principle I put in.

Any thoughts?

Are you are talking about OCBC PremierLife Generation? If I am not wrong, you will only break even after 10 or 12 years if you decide to surrender early.
Tiger9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

On top of that, interest rate is going up!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Any thoughts?
Risk free? Guaranteed? Where did those numbers come from?

Faibo waipaaa!
Maeda_Toshiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

yup, same as GE prestige ife reward, breakeven point at 7.5 years if i do not take the cash out

Are you are talking about OCBC PremierLife Generation? If I am not wrong, you will only break even after 10 or 12 years if you decide to surrender early.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #6

like usual insurance policy, there are guaranteed and non guaranteed value. And of cos low risk cos it's not ILP.

Risk free? Guaranteed? Where did those numbers come from?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

yup, same as GE prestige ife reward, breakeven point at 7.5 years if i do not take the cash out
Which mean you lose 7.5 yrs of bank interest? With rising interest rate, the break even period will be even longer.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
Master Member

Any thoughts?
If it was done in the post GFC of 2009, it would be good. But now, in a rising interest rate environment, the cost of leveraging would reduce your returns.
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Any thoughts?
It's not a great deal. The ways it can go wrong:
  • You lose if interest rates go up. You're borrowing at a floating rate, to invest in (basically) bonds; if interest rates go up, you'll pay more on the loan but the underlying asset will be worth less.
  • You lose if you need to cash out early. As people mentioned, you don't even hit breakeven for ten years or so! That's an awful deal; if you just bought some Singapore government bonds instead, you'd break even basically immediately.

And you're losing because you're paying huge fees - it could work out to as much as 10% on a policy that size, counting the leverage; paying a hefty interest rate on the loan; and you have to hope that the income from the policy is enough to cover the interest payments.

I think this is a bad idea.
Shiny Things is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

It's not a great deal. The ways it can go wrong:
  • You lose if interest rates go up. You're borrowing at a floating rate, to invest in (basically) bonds; if interest rates go up, you'll pay more on the loan but the underlying asset will be worth less.
  • You lose if you need to cash out early. As people mentioned, you don't even hit breakeven for ten years or so! That's an awful deal; if you just bought some Singapore government bonds instead, you'd break even basically immediately.

And you're losing because you're paying huge fees - it could work out to as much as 10% on a policy that size, counting the leverage; paying a hefty interest rate on the loan; and you have to hope that the income from the policy is enough to cover the interest payments.

I think this is a bad idea.
the banks are smart, trying to lock ppl into the lower interest rates for 10 over 20 years.. while they earn the difference later on at your expense
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #11

thank you all for the kind advice!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.