HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Registering a sole proprietorship

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Registering a sole proprietorship

My gf is intending to do a mini online business and wants to register her business name for selling on Qoo10, lazada etc

However, after reading online guides, it seems that there are various fees to pay including registration of company name (15$) and registering with biz files (100$ per Yr). A friend told me that I don't need to register the company with bizfiles for online business?

Can anyone help verify. Thank you
blurpandasg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

$100 Initial
$15 yearly

believe lazada q10 etc, they need official business number thus you must register with bizfile to get a UEN number.
Rxgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

My gf is intending to do a mini online business and wants to register her business name for selling on Qoo10, lazada etc

However, after reading online guides, it seems that there are various fees to pay including registration of company name (15$) and registering with biz files (100$ per Yr). A friend told me that I don't need to register the company with bizfiles for online business?

Can anyone help verify. Thank you
As long as the activity is for gain and profit, you must register

https://companyregistration.sg/do-i-really-need-to-register-a-company-for-web-based-business-in-singapore/
flowerpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

Make sure you understand the difference between a sole proprietorship and a company. A company is a separate legal entity; a sole proprietorship is an individual trading under a business name. A sole proprietorship is much cheaper and easier to set up than a company and is probably what your gf should do. I think the fees you're quoting are for a company, not a sole proprietorship, because I'm pretty sure it's not that expensive.

Also, it's only a requirement if you're trading under a business name. If you do business in Singapore only under your real name then (since 2014) there is no requirement to register.
smalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Master Member

sole prop is just $30/yr
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

$100 Initial
$15 yearly

believe lazada q10 etc, they need official business number thus you must register with bizfile to get a UEN number.
sole prop is just $30/yr
If DIY, it's $15 for name application, $100 for registration and $30 for annual renewal fee.

If I do for you, I charge $100 extra
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.