HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore median monthly household income last year was S$9,023

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #16

It is okay to travel but the cost can differ .
The countries visiting / airlines / 4-Star hotel / big lobster/crabs / luxury item make a lot of difference.

And you will see most of the average families in SG, traveling 1-2 times a year, spending unnecessarily money and whine about Singapore being expensive
Mergui219067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Don’t agree fully .
Many expats / those Sinkies who stay in more advanced overseas cities would say Singapore is not too ex .

Housing cost with HDB flats is reasonable.
Car ownership / smoke / drinks / top end meals & items / stay CCR condo are optional.

Sg is expensive though.

Last edited by Mergui219067; 09-02-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Mergui219067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

Dont agree fully .
Many expats / those Sinkies who stay in more advanced overseas cities would say Singapore is not too ex .

Car ownership / smoke / drinks / top end meals & items / stay CCR condo are optional.

Not I say de, you anyhow type most expensive cities in the world, sure see Singapore listed as top few.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-mos...ostly-in-asia/

Don't have to compare certain things, on the whole Sg is sure one of the most expensive cities in the world. No matter how you cut it.
Problem is not just whether we are expensive, is also whether our salary has kept pace?
For the last 2 decades, I would say no.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Not I say de, you anyhow type most expensive cities in the world, sure see Singapore listed as top few.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-mos...ostly-in-asia/

Don't have to compare certain things, on the whole Sg is sure one of the most expensive cities in the world. No matter how you cut it.
Problem is not just whether we are expensive, is also whether our salary has kept pace?
For the last 2 decades, I would say no.
Confirm wages in Singapore never kept in pace with cost of living.

Just came back from USA and I compare the average prices for fast casual dining. Almost the same if not US$1-3 more expensive than Singapore only. The difference is their F&B wages are marginally higher than Singapore.

~ Provided margin is sufficient if no stop loss.
Mr.Canberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #20

Food buy from supermart is more expensive in Singapore than many other developed countries!

Damn it! Most basic necessities in Singapore are just so much more expensive in Singapore than other developed countries, like electricity, water, raw food, medicine from pharmacy etc!

You can google and easily find the research report comparing prices of milk, bread etc you can buy in Singapore supermart and other developed countries and Singapore mostly more expensive!

I just don't understand, why medicine I buy from pharmacy e.g. NTUC Unity Pharmacy is so much more expensive than say in London!

Don’t agree fully .

Last edited by ervino; 09-02-2018 at 04:27 PM..
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #21

Also compare food court price lor.

See if u can get a meal in London for less than 5. Probably just a small sandwich from pret. Here can get smth decent for $3.50
veryhappyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #22

Raw food price more important because if you buy outside is expensive you can cook on your own cheaply right?
Anyway, I prefer home dinning as more healthy.
Outside they use cheapest and unhealthy palm oil, put hot food in plastic (toxic) container! (plastic container which are not meant to be used to put hot food and can cause long term toxic accumulation!)
Is this any wonder now Singaporeans so easily get all kinds of cancer for no apparent reason?

See if u can get a meal in London for less than 5. Probably just a small sandwich from pret. Here can get smth decent for $3.50

Last edited by ervino; 09-02-2018 at 04:32 PM..
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #23

You are right. Haha. I buy bags of oats for pennies! Fruits, milk and eggs are also cheap.

I do like eating at home too. Don't have the luxury of time in sg to cook though

Raw food price more important because if you buy outside is expensive you can cook on your own cheaply right?
Anyway, I prefer home dinning as more healthy.
Outside they use cheapest and unhealthy palm oil, put hot food in plastic (toxic) container! (plastic container which are not meant to be used to put hot food and can cause long term toxic accumulation!)
Is this any wonder now Singaporeans so easily get all kinds of cancer for no apparent reason?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

Food buy from supermart is more expensive in Singapore than many other developed countries!

Damn it! Most basic necessities in Singapore are just so much more expensive in Singapore than other developed countries, like electricity, water, raw food, medicine from pharmacy etc!

You can google and easily find the research report comparing prices of milk, bread etc you can buy in Singapore supermart and other developed countries and Singapore mostly more expensive!

I just don't understand, why medicine I buy from pharmacy e.g. NTUC Unity Pharmacy is so much more expensive than say in London!
This is the government that 70% voted for as have clear mandate for MIW to carry out their policies.

In most high living cost countries you can be low income earner but basic necessities and services are reasonably priced. However in Singapore from food to healthcare, housing, etc. walau eh! Sibei chum!

Don't forget wages in U.K. is so much higher ok. In each major city there are certain places where you can get products and services at a lower price. If you have travelled extensively enough you will know what I mean. Singapore and Hong Kong are exceptions to this rule due to high population density living. High population density living is the cause to high living costs.

What you are doing is selective comparison and not accurate. That is why must compare overall prices of products and services including food, drink, clothing, household supplies and personal care items among others, converted to U.S. dollars.

Last edited by Mr.Canberra; 09-02-2018 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #25

This is the government that 70% voted for as have clear mandate for MIW to carry out their policies.

In most high living cost countries you can be low income earner but basic necessities and services are reasonably priced. However in Singapore from food to healthcare, housing, etc. walau eh! Sibei chum!

Don't forget wages in U.K. is so much higher ok. In each major city there are certain places where you can get products and services at a lower price. If you have travelled extensively enough you will know what I mean. Singapore and Hong Kong is exception.

What you are doing is selective comparison and not accurate. That is why must compare overall prices of products and services including food, drink, clothing, household supplies and personal care items among others, converted to U.S. dollars.
Well, and Singapore is also ranked 6th in being the richest country in the world, and i do see most Singaporeans are rich here. I've nothing to complain about, i lead a pretty decent life with an average income as long you know how to spend and invest wisely.

Less complain, more action
Old 09-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

Well, and Singapore is also ranked 6th in being the richest country in the world, and i do see most Singaporeans are rich here. I've nothing to complain about, i lead a pretty decent life with an average income as long you know how to spend and invest wisely.

Your comment that most Singaporeans are rich is really looking from the top down. It is the same as saying most Hong Kongers are rich because their property prices are even higher than Singapore hahaha.

Tell that to the hardworking lower educated and older blue collar workers in Singapore.

You have nothing to complain about because there are certain segments of this society that you intentionally or unintentionally did not notice. Singapore do not just exclusively made up of 'mostly rich Singaporeans.'

Last edited by Mr.Canberra; 09-02-2018 at 04:51 PM..
Old 09-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
High Supremacy Member

Cannot look at it purely on how life is now compare to other countries.
Must compare with the past too. See if we are improving or getting worse.
Mr.Canberra likes this.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #28

It's true that medicine in Guardian, Watson, Unity, cost a bomb here. Just look at the cost of Panadol. Even the generic Paracetamol is more expensive than overseas.

But if you go to govt hospital and poly, the medicine is really cheap..
Mr.Canberra likes this.
Soul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #29

Your comment that most Singaporeans are rich is really looking from the top down.

Tell that to the hardworking lower educated and older blue collar workers in Singapore.

You have nothing to complain about because there are certain segments of this society that you intentionally or unintentionally did not notice.
Not really, I've been thru ****, with household income of 0, slowly improving, government still subsidized 100% of all my household hospital bills including consultation, medication, treatments.

I do know alot of lower income hard working workers in SG, some are doing ok, except for those that chose to spend majority of their income on alcohol and cigg - i don't think u can blame the government for this?

I've pretty much been thru all the ups and downs, including other people who had been in the same shoes, those who are really doing the right things and actually gave a damn about their life, are actually doing ok.....but of cuz, those that chose to forsake their life and spurge all their income away, does indeed deserves to be at the bottom.

EDIT: when our household income was 0, we spoke to MP and managed to get the utility bills off our backs too..and even hold off the housing loan payment, this is why i actually feel that SG is really not as bad as some people say....if it's other countries...we might already end up homeless living in streets and die of illness
Mr.Canberra likes this.

Last edited by KinoChoco; 09-02-2018 at 04:57 PM..
KinoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #30

Not really...

I was offered to work in UK and SG. Same firm. Gross wage higher in UK, but lower after taxes. In UK after tax and rent, I am left with close to nothing. In SG, still can save a fair chunk (even after parking 1.5k for rental if i didnt stay with parents).

Don't forget wages in U.K. is so much higher ok. In each major city there are certain places where you can get products and services at a lower price. If you have travelled extensively enough you will know what I mean. Singapore and Hong Kong are exceptions to this rule due to high population density living. High population density living is the cause to high living costs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.