HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SRS Portfolio

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

SRS Portfolio

Hi, would like to ask the experts here. How is your SRS portfolio like and why?

First of all is it 100% invested (i.e. no cash) or some cash, and why?

Secondly for the invested, what do you invest in? Individual stocks? ETFs? Unit trustd?

For example, if you invest in individual stocks/reits, do you hold some cash in case of rights issue?

Finally mentally do you treat your srs portfolio as a standalone portfolio isolated from your cash portfolio, or do you sum it together when considering the asset allocation?

Thats it for now. Thanks.
assiak71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 01:49 AM   #2

IMO there are only two things worth investing in with SRS.

1. STI ETF
2. Lion Global All Seasons Fund (Growth), or Lion Global Infinity Global Stock Index Fund

What I currently do is to purchase STI ETF in lump sums, then use the leftover balance to purchase the UT. Whenever I receive dividends from STI ETF I use that to purchase the UT. The idea is to avoid having any balance in the SRS account.

My portfolio considerations always include everything together - cash, srs and cpf
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

1. STI ETF
2. Lion Global All Seasons Fund (Growth), or Lion Global Infinity Global Stock Index Fund

What I currently do is to purchase STI ETF in lump sums, then use the leftover balance to purchase the UT. Whenever I receive dividends from STI ETF I use that to purchase the UT. The idea is to avoid having any balance in the SRS account.

My portfolio considerations always include everything together - cash, srs and cpf
I did the Lion Global Infinity S&P500 fund.
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

Singapore Government Securities (SGSes), including SSBs, are occasionally useful within a Supplementary Retirement Scheme account. For example, if you’re getting near your first withdrawal, a government bond might be a good fit. MBH could also be handy.

Life annuities are sometimes useful, too.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Best not to hold reits in Srs because of the potential constant rights issue.

I do hold reits etf in Srs though.
$ingaporean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

2. Lion Global All Seasons Fund (Growth),

When it first launched it looked good. I am planning to invest but I also don't want to be an early adopter. If a fund can't even hit $100m size, its at risk of closing down....

(1) Fund size - small and also unable to grow? I've been monitoring the monthly factsheets, the fund is too small and if unable to grow, might be shut down.

(2) Ability of their Fixed income fund managers - study the fixed income funds carefully. I have serious doubts.
limster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

OCBC is promoting great eastern endowment plan 5 using SRS. I went for single premium purchase of it last year which has locked the money for 15 years. SSB seems to be the safest and best option today.
sunbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

For those on DBS, which UT purchased using SRS fund?
Old 24-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

i am on ocbc, any good advise? for now my srs treasure is ready to burst.... any good ideas?

I AM FROM THE 30.1%, EMPOWERED TO COMPLAIN
compro_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://finance4uandme.com/2018/12/0...our-srs-money/

I wrote about this at the end of last year.

Lion Global UTs can be considered.

Personally, i use OCBC BCIP to buy G3B.
naro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Master Member

1. STI ETF

whats the reason for choosing this?
foozgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

His rationale:
Low cost, well-diversified.
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #13

So far seems like the concensus is dont do individual stocks. Meaning use etf and UT. Or even stashaway.

For most people in 30s and 40s, should go for growth? So just 100% equities in srs?
assiak71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #14

(1) Fund size - small and also unable to grow? I've been monitoring the monthly factsheets, the fund is too small and if unable to grow, might be shut down.
If there are more adopters, then it will grow. But really, funds close down for various reasons, and I don't think there's an arbitrary 'minimum NAV' of $100M where they will close down, it depends on what they spend the underlying on, and generally there's a higher chance of closing down if underlying is non diversified and made up of smaller caps.

If it closes down, it's no big deal. You will get your money back or it will be merged. Just pick the next better investment if that happens.

For those on DBS, which UT purchased using SRS fund?
Open a Poems or a DollarDex account and use that for UTs.

i am on ocbc, any good advise? for now my srs treasure is ready to burst.... any good ideas?
If you have an OCBC securities account, you can use that to purchase ES3. Otherwise, open an account with any online broker (compare them first) to purchase ES3. Or open an account with Poems or DollarDex if you want to purchase the UTs I have mentioned.

These funds invest in passive managed products that are globally diversified, so have much lower costs than the usual actively managed UTs that usually don't outperform passive funds.

So far seems like the concensus is dont do individual stocks. Meaning use etf and UT. Or even stashaway.

For most people in 30s and 40s, should go for growth? So just 100% equities in srs?
Yes. If you are using SRS, your CPF accounts should be fairly fat which gives you a healthy bond percentage of your portfolio so you can concentrate your SRS on equities.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
High Supremacy Member

A question on the index fund or broad market ETF available to SRS:
besides SPDR STI ETF, Lion Global Infinity series (3 of them for SRS),
are there other Index Fund or Index ETF available for SRS?

my search showed me it is very limited, and I didn't find others, since those USD-based ETFs or those in foreign markets are out of touch for SRS.

thanks.
warr is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.