Things you should read before buying an endowment plan

immortal86

Master Member
Reaction score
BTW is Greatlife Endowment Insurance 10 a good plan? I don't mind lower returns in exchange for lower risks btw.

If say,
I paid $3600.05 per year for 10 years (total $36000.50).
Then 15 years later I can get a guaranteed amount of $38160 (I will incurr loss if I withdraw within 15 years).
The non guaranteed amount is $41179 (3.25%) or $46238 (4.75%) after 15 years
Of course I will get more if I put even longer.

Take a look at AIA smartgrowth growth (II) if you want a higher guaranteed amt

sherryn

Reaction score
I bought this dumb plan (pruflexicash) when I was 18. Don’t know if I should surrender the policy or to just take the cashback every year and keep the policy running

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guaranteed returns after 15 years is 0.56% :s13::s13:

add in non-guaranteed 3.25%, ur returns is 1.28% :s13::s13:

add in non-guaranteed 4.75%, ur returns is 2.39% :s13::s13::s13:

what a shitty policy :o

I got slightly different numbers from my excel. It's 0.82%, 1.55%, 2.66%.

The returns are not much better than SSB so I don't understand why anybody should bother with endownment. SSB and SGS are good for those who want fixed income. It's more flexible, more secure with similar or better returns. I have 1 endownment plan that I bought when I am 20, regretting it everyday until now.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The returns are not much better than SSB so I don't understand why anybody should bother with endownment. SSB and SGS are good for those who want fixed income. It's more flexible, more secure with similar or better returns. I have 1 endownment plan that I bought when I am 20, regretting it everyday until now.

Not sure how people arrived at these numbers.

My endowment policies (in my own name) are yielding 4.07-4.55% XIRR.

Granted, DIY DCA into IWDA/EIMI have the potential to do better. Heck, even DCAing into STI ETF is better. But 4.55% ain't too shabby. I'm fine with it; not sure about others.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an insurance agent.

maple96

Reaction score

Granted, DIY DCA into IWDA/EIMI have the potential to do better. Heck, even DCAing into STI ETF is better. But 4.55% ain't too shabby. I'm fine with it; not sure about others.

can share which insurer, how many years premium and how many years to maturity, plan name?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guaranteed returns after 15 years is 0.56% :s13::s13:

add in non-guaranteed 3.25%, ur returns is 1.28% :s13::s13:

add in non-guaranteed 4.75%, ur returns is 2.39% :s13::s13::s13:

what a shitty policy :o

If that's the current offer, I agree it's a damn shitty 15 years policy.

Very unlikely that the policy will return 2.39%. If lucky, likely not more than 2%. Might as well go for SBB if really must dump money somewhere.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How you derive your calculation?

Just accept his numbers. I double checked. His correct.

0.55514% for low and 2.389722% for high.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you not sure how people arrived at these numbers, likely your yield of 4.07-4.55% xirr is not believable. Show your BI and if it's has been running for few years, show the year-to-date actual against projected.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you not sure how people arrived at these numbers, likely your yield of 4.07-4.55% xirr is not believable. Show your BI and if it's has been running for few years, show the year-to-date actual against projected.

The "not sure" can be read in two ways.

One is the way you interpeted it, and the other is... well I won't expound on it.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The "not sure" can be read in two ways.

One is the way you interpeted it, and the other is... well I won't expound on it.

No need to expound. Show us the BI and ytd bonus to dispel my doubt, if not bias thinking that returns on endowment is not worth.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Did you actually get these return as stated?
2. You cannot cash out in between and these interest earned is not compounded right. Ie. Effective payout at the end of endowment plan is less then what is been stated. As you did not earn interest for the intetest earned.

Ie. Assuming $100 @4% every year. You get $4 every years and not $4 for first year, $4.16 for 2nd year (total $108.16) and so on. (3rd year $112.48)
All you get is $108 at 2nd year. That is to say effectively you are paid less then 4% if payout remain at 4%. (3rd year you get $112)!

So don't get tick by these payout by insurance company. What is value in these plan is protection in the event of dead.
In other word, if your aim is make money out of endowment plan. You are looking at wrong product.

Last edited:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2. You cannot cash out in between and these interest earned is not compounded right. Ie. Effective payout at the end of endowment plan is less then what is been stated. As you did not earn interest for the intetest earned.

Ie. Assuming $100 @4% every year. You get $4 every years and not $4 for first year, $4.16 for 2nd year (total $108.16) and etc.
All you get is $108 at 2nd year. That is to say effectively you are paid less then 4% if payout remain at 4%.

Unlikely that his policy has matured. But still can calculate the ytd return based on amount declared to date.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unlikely that his policy has matured. But still can calculate the ytd return based on amount declared to date.

Technically correct. But do consider during bad time. I personally encounter this with AI* and G*. Just before your plan come to the end, they write to you due to bad economic and earning. The declared amount is reduce to xxx amount. This is real. Was told recently happen to another insurance company. So after all, these products are no different from any fanicial product in the market.

Another thing one has to watch out is those standard illustration table. As the name claim, that's for illustration and is a MAS requirement. It does not represent the real potential earning.

Last edited:

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ie. Assuming $100 @4% every year. You get $4 every years and not $4 for first year, $4.16 for 2nd year (total $108.16) and so on. (3rd year $112.48)
All you get is $108 at 2nd year. That is to say effectively you are paid less then 4% if payout remain at 4%. (3rd year you get $112)!

So don't get tick by these payout by insurance company. What is value in these plan is protection in the event of dead.
In other word, if your aim is make money out of endowment plan. You are looking at wrong product.

If you understand what XIRR means, you wouldn't question on whether my numbers are compounded or simple interest.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No need to expound. Show us the BI and ytd bonus to dispel my doubt, if not bias thinking that returns on endowment is not worth.

There is no need to.

I am not an agent and I gain absolutely zilch for your belief or otherwise in endowment plans.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing some comparisons of endowment policies at another website, they furnish real policy documents (minus the names) and none ever reach 3% p.a. CAGR for those nearing maturity even after 20 years!

So, any claim above 3% p.a. CAGR, either the policy already matured many years ago or the person make mistake in calculations loh! Doubt the claim can be backed up with real policy documents and can't stand up to scrutiny :s13:

Suit yourself, really. If it makes you happy to win in the virtual world.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
I bought this dumb plan (pruflexicash) when I was 18. Don’t know if I should surrender the policy or to just take the cashback every year and keep the policy running

If you take the cashback, it is nowhere better
If you surrender now, it is a significant loss anyway
I am also in the stuck with this plan.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.