HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Things you should read before buying an endowment plan

Like Tree144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #1036
Arch-Supremacy Member

Calculation ok, though it's closer to 4.186% if maturity value = G+NG.

It' very attractive that the guaranteed amount is already giving almost 3.1%

My15 yrs endowment's annual premium was $3,872.50 for 14 years and the maturity amount was $72,053.54 yielding 3.72%. But the projected G+NG was supposed to be 5.77% (or $84,700) according to BI.
Is actually less then that. Not to forget G+NG pay out do not earned compounded interest and you cannot use them till Nov 2018. (End of plan).
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #1037
Honorary Member

in less than 2 months (on 9 Nov 2018), I will be able to know if AIA keep to their promise to my NG bonus portion. I am pretty confident they will. I guess those 'pure savings endowment policies' of yesteryears does provide a decent return.
Do update us by then
mrclubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #1038

Do update us by then
Shall keep in mind.
Battery Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #1039
Supremacy Member

Is actually less then that. Not to forget G+NG pay out do not earned compounded interest and you cannot use them till Nov 2018. (End of plan).
Wonder why you would keep talking about compounded interest when he already said XIRR = 4.17%... unless, you don't know what XIRR is?
JuniorLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #1040
Arch-Supremacy Member

What matters is the actual maturity amount against premium/s paid and the period of the policy. No use using projected numbers to calculate return or xirr.

It will be more meaningful if policy holders state such info against BI and let those interested in endowment to decide.

My 15 years endowment with annual premium of $3,872.50 for 14 years and the maturity amount was $72,053.54 yielding 3.72% against BI of 5.77%. I had another shorter endowment and also the maturity amount fell short of projection. One was from AIA and the other was from NTUC.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #1041

Anyway, it is now common knowledge that endowment policies will never give the kind of returns projected by the insurance companies in the policy document, so people can just disregard the projected non-guaranteed portion.

What matters is the actual maturity amount against premium/s paid and the period of the policy. No use using projected numbers to calculate return or xirr.

It will be more meaningful if policy holders state such info against BI and let those interested in endowment to decide.

My 15 years endowment with annual premium of $3,872.50 for 14 years and the maturity amount was $72,053.54 yielding 3.72% against BI of 5.77%. I had another shorter endowment and also the maturity amount fell short of projection. One was from AIA and the other was from NTUC.
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #1042

The actual amount you get will still be closer to the G+NG amount than the G amount. With regulation bringing down the projections to be based on 4.75%, the amount projected by BI today will probably be more accurate than that from BIs from a decade or two ago.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #1043
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyway, it is now common knowledge that endowment policies will never give the kind of returns projected by the insurance companies in the policy document, so people can just disregard the projected non-guaranteed portion.
You are right.
Always think if you put the same amount in say fix deposit and compounded interest. In the end of 20 years. You are notvtoo far from this kind of plan, but with flexibility of withdrawn at anytime.

There are also other fanicial products that are principle protect but interest pay out quarterly or every 6 months vs the complete sum been locked up for the next 20 years.

Ofcouse, if the objective is to get insurance protection. That's different story. But endowment plan usually only give you protection a few percent on top of your base amount.
Old 16-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #1044
Arch-Supremacy Member

The actual amount you get will still be closer to the G+NG amount than the G amount. With regulation bringing down the projections to be based on 4.75%, the amount projected by BI today will probably be more accurate than that from BIs from a decade or two ago.
The 4.75% is a artificially number given for computation. Ths is a requirement from MAS. The actual pay out is much less then this number.

Also keep in mind, even the say insurance company makes a nett profit of 4.75%. It does not means you get 4.75% in that year. The profit is distributed to varies product and endowment plan, structure payout been the lowest in the company. That's because these product is consider a low risk product.

High risk product always get a better pay out.
Old 16-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #1045

Yes, the projections are based on the PAR fund earning 4.75%, everyone knows that, you are not adding any new information into the discussion.

What is being said is that the actual amount you receive will be closer to the projected G+NG amount than the G amount, because the PAR fund performance over the long term is going to be a lot closer to 4.75%, that whatever is performance is that gives you only the G amount. Don't forget even if the PAR fund loses money, they will still have to pay you the G amount, assuming they are still solvent.
JuniorLion likes this.
tangent314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #1046

Shall keep in mind.
Bro...any good news from your policy? Is the NG portion good?
iMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.