travel insurance claim: lost cash but no police report

fml_mylife

Reaction score
I had some cash stolen from me but because I found out a couple of hours before flying off, I wasn't able to make a police report. I thought that because of that, I wouldn't be able to make a claim and gave up (yes an oversight on my part). But as i was talking to a friend today, I found out that it would have been possible to make a police report in singapore to use to claim the insurance, so long it is <24 hours. However, i only found out today and it is about 3 days since my insurance coverage ended (18 oct). I tried to call the help line and explained my situation but they said they can't help me. Curious if there is a way I could possible contest this? And if anyone has faced a situation like this before. (Yes this was a very expensive lesson. Sigh)

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You could check to see if the credit card you used to book your flights offers any travel insurance coverage with different rules, but that's a longshot.

Yes, it's an expensive lesson, but it's important to learn the correct lesson: don't ever carry significant amounts of cash and other valuables if you can avoid it, and you can avoid it (cash) practically everywhere. Bring a couple of low cost payment cards instead.

Jupiter2017

Reaction score
Members of Public can use the E-service to lodge a Police report that does not require immediate Police action. Log on to E-service via SingPass.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Members of Public can use the E-service to lodge a Police report that does not require immediate Police action.
That's true (and convenient), but unfortunately there's no time machine provided with that service, to rewind the clock. It's still up to the travel insurance company whether they'll accept a late claim.

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still worth a shot but don't get your hopes up. They might also see your track record see if you hv claimed before or not etc.

fml_mylife

Reaction score
You could check to see if the credit card you used to book your flights offers any travel insurance coverage with different rules, but that's a longshot.

Yes, it's an expensive lesson, but it's important to learn the correct lesson: don't ever carry significant amounts of cash and other valuables if you can avoid it, and you can avoid it (cash) practically everywhere. Bring a couple of low cost payment cards instead.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to avoid it. There were situations out of my control that required that much money to be carried :(

Still worth a shot but don't get your hopes up. They might also see your track record see if you hv claimed before or not etc.

This is the first time i've bought insurance from this company. I have tried calling their hotline but they basically repeated the claims clause to me. The person I spoke to wasn't helpful in this case. I do understand that it isn't in their interest to help...

Imamage

Reaction score
Which company u buy from? Actually policywording will state very clearly, just that u dont bother to read it

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to avoid it. There were situations out of my control that required that much money to be carried :(

This is the first time i've bought insurance from this company. I have tried calling their hotline but they basically repeated the claims clause to me. The person I spoke to wasn't helpful in this case. I do understand that it isn't in their interest to help...

Your story don't really add up.

You said you lost some money. Now you were saying that it can't be avoided to carry much money.

If you have lost a lot of money such that it is worth much much more than your flight, there is definitely an urgent need to avoid flight and make a police report immediately.

If it's worth like $200, just suck it up and move on.

fml_mylife

Reaction score
Which company u buy from? Actually policywording will state very clearly, just that u dont bother to read it

To which i do admit my mistake. And as I said, expansive lesson learnt.

Your story don't really add up.

You said you lost some money. Now you were saying that it can't be avoided to carry much money.

If you have lost a lot of money such that it is worth much much more than your flight, there is definitely an urgent need to avoid flight and make a police report immediately.

If it's worth like $200, just suck it up and move on.
I'm not sure how you read my story such that it didn't add up. I was admitting to the previous reply that while I know I shouldn't carry around so much money, there were circumstances that prevented me from carrying around less. No, I didn't lose more than what my flight was worth. I've sucked it up already but i'm just asking around to see if there is any way I could make a claim, if possible.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've sucked it up already but i'm just asking around to see if there is any way I could make a claim, if possible.

Maybe you can introduce us a travel insurance that allows insured to make a claim for loss items without making a police report?

I am interested to sign up in the future.

sgdividends

Reaction score
Imo, yeah u should have reported at changi airport when u touched down since u don't know at which point I lost your money but make sure to write in a way that it looked like in the plane or arport ..

3 days passed and after your insurance period assumed ended on the day u touched down.

Very unlikely they allow me but just try la...who knows ..

computers70

Reaction score
You will always need a police report, that is why it is encouraged to use credit card to pay for purchases overseas. If the purchase product is lost, you can still file a claim(this benefit may not be available for the lower tier plans).
There is usually a cap, over another cap for purchase of jewelry.

MrAppleCrumble

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had some cash stolen from me but because I found out a couple of hours before flying off, I wasn't able to make a police report. I thought that because of that, I wouldn't be able to make a claim and gave up (yes an oversight on my part). But as i was talking to a friend today, I found out that it would have been possible to make a police report in singapore to use to claim the insurance, so long it is <24 hours. However, i only found out today and it is about 3 days since my insurance coverage ended (18 oct). I tried to call the help line and explained my situation but they said they can't help me. Curious if there is a way I could possible contest this? And if anyone has faced a situation like this before. (Yes this was a very expensive lesson. Sigh)

smlj your friend talk cock ah. i in argetina holiday, i lost money at argetina airport i never make police report with argetina police cos i coming back sg than i can go to my neighbourhood police post say i lost money at argetina ma? you expect spf to go argetina find for me?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.