HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Warning about stocks/forex guru trading courses in the market

Like Tree468Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Warning about stocks/forex guru trading courses in the market

This is a long and informative post, but after reading this it may save you thousands of dollars.

Please share this post if you found it useful.

I read the article on theonlinecitizen.com/2016/01/warning-about-internet-marketing-courses-in-the-market/ and feel compelled to further expose many of these trading courses by "gurus". I wrote this article to serve as a warning so that people will not make the same mistake of wasting thousands of dollars.

I am a male in my late-twenties and a local engineering graduate.

Like many young aspiring men who wish to achieve financial freedom, I wanted to get an education in trading equities and was naturally attracted to those promising "Achieve Financial Freedom" ads all over Facebook.

Being completely clueless at the time, apart from having read some books and websites on stocks and investments, I reckoned I had to start somewhere, and thus signed up for a very prominent course claiming to be Asia's leading financial training school, taught by a very well-known Singaporean motivational speaker *hint hint. I read his book on stocks trading and was extremely impressed, hence I signed up for his course thinking that I will learn more about the stock market. The course was conducted over 4 days and consisted of the following:

Course fee: ~$4700

Day 1: Storytelling session of his own life and motivational talk.
Day 2: More storytelling and motivational talks for psychological conditioning.
Day 3: Some basic technical analysis and position-sizing methods. He teaches moving average crossovers for buy/sell signals that are a guaranteed way to lose money in trading. Rest of the day was spent on teaching how to set up demo accounts for trading (which I already knew), that was taken over by this HORRIBLE trainer who spoke in a very fast-paced manner with terrible English and was practically shouting throughout the session. Everyone just looked lost.
Day 4: Fundamental analysis for stocks using Warren Buffet's method. Rest of the day was a sales pitch session for co-investing with him in foreign properties, more motivational talks, and another sales pitch session for more of his motivational courses. He tries to up sell you another $10,000 trading course, which he claims is only for the strong-minded, and you must go through an interview session to even be considered. So effectively, this is a red flag telling you that everything you've learnt for the past 4 days are not enough for trading.

Booster sessions: He provided two so-called "booster sessions" after the course, one of which was by the horrible trainer, and another was a 2 hour preview for a trading course by another of his associate who used to be a bankrupt, which costs ~$5000. Sad thing is, I saw many people signing up for it. He also offers "revision" classes and charges $500/session.

Conclusion: 90% of the course content taught was regurgitated word-for-word from his book, which I only spent $20+ on. And absolutely AVOID all forex/stocks courses offered by his company, which cost nothing less than $4000. *hint OFT, PT etc Their ads are still trending strongly on Facebook.

The next review is about a forex course offered by a Singaporean ex-national sailor *hint hint (also seen in Facebook ads). I attended his preview with a friend who later signed up for it. He claims to spend only 15 mins a day monitoring the charts, and wins trades 70%-90% of the time.

Course fee: ~$3700

He offers forex signals and follow-up coaching services which are priced at ~$300/mth, and his forex signals are unreliable (weird for a 70%-90% win rate). He also only trades crosses with large spreads which are damn lame. What pissed me off the most was he used his private students-only Facebook group as a selling point to entice people to sign up, claiming that weekly potential trade set-ups will be discussed there. The reality is, they DO NOT post trade set-ups before the trade (you will have to subscribe to their $100/mth forex signals service for this). Trade setups were posted only on hindsight, claiming how much profits they've made. Even a monkey can claim how profitable it is by trading on hindsight. Not to mention their poor administration. Two people I know in the course (including my friend) paid for a month of forex signals and did not receive any signals because they were not included in the subscribers' list, and were not refunded. My friend emailed them twice and waited for a week before getting a response.

Final review is about this online forex course offered by a Singaporean, who posts pictures of himself with his wife and kid claiming that he has nothing to hide. He also offers a forex trade copier service that charges $260/mth and guarantees >10% returns a month, otherwise you don't have to pay for that month.

Course fee: $400

To be fair, his course materials are value-for-money and good educational material for beginner and intermediate forex traders. However, beware of his claims for trade copier service. He publishes completely fake signal performance results on his website and excludes his losses to look profitable every month. And he refunds the monthly subscription fee for his trade copier service ONLY IF you choose to discontinue his service (which was never mentioned in his website), which I'm glad I did as I've lost money. He did refund me the subscription fee though after a few email exchanges.

Also beware of this US-based Trading Academy that is now in Singapore. Their reputation online is notorious and they charge a whopping $36,000 for their course! I attended their 3-day workshop (worth $500) for free after winning a voucher at an investment fair (all others in the class actually paid for it), which consisted of how the various financial markets work and how much money their students made using their supply and demand strategy, and horrendous one-to-one hard-selling through "guidance interviews" every 3-hourly where a sales rep literally sits you in a private room behind closed doors to convince you to sign up, otherwise the course fee will increase "next month", and even they do not know what price it'll be because its a "secret" that only HQ knows. They did not reveal anything about their so-called strategy.

I know people who've attended courses by T3B, PowerUp Capital, Statistical Traders. You can easily google for their reviews online. I personally have read T3B's course content and in my opinion, it is pure bull.

From my experience, 100% of all materials taught in such courses are readily available in much greater detail on YouTube or any trading educational website like Babypips and Stockcharts. CFD brokers like Oanda, CMC, and IG also offer many free educational webinars and seminars on technical analysis that pretty much teach the same thing. There are NO "little-known secrets" as the courses claim, and it definitely takes more than 15 mins a day to monitor the charts and plan your trades ahead. And I do NOT trade live account until I achieved an average of more than 5% monthly returns for 3 months on demo account.

I am glad to say that I have been achieving very good monthly returns for the past one year, even when the stock markets are bleeding. It is possible, but comes with a lot of hard work, discipline, and perseverance. And best of all, the best resources that I came across are free.
Yxy, archcherub, opteron and 20 others like this.

Last edited by eatsleeptrade; 02-02-2016 at 12:55 PM..
eatsleeptrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Banned

hahaha for newbies who want to learn to make money, have to pay some tuition fees lor, most important is we must be able to learn from the experience, like u, and stop paying more tuition fees to them hor hahaha

moi only attended adam n conrade's free 3 hour talks n any free talks they conduct at yearly fairs, can already learn alot without attending their expensive courses, of course moi already paid my tuition fees to others that's how I learnt from experience, hahaha
wts2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

This is a long and informative post, but after reading this it may save you thousands of dollars.

Please share this post if you found it useful.

I read the article on theonlinecitizen.com/2016/01/warning-about-internet-marketing-courses-in-the-market/ and feel compelled to further expose many of these trading courses by "gurus". I wrote this article to serve as a warning so that people will not make the same mistake of wasting thousands of dollars.

I am a male in my late-twenties and a local engineering graduate.

Like many young aspiring men who wish to achieve financial freedom, I wanted to get an education in trading equities and was naturally attracted to those promising "Achieve Financial Freedom" ads all over Facebook.

Being completely clueless at the time, apart from having read some books and websites on stocks and investments, I reckoned I had to start somewhere, and thus signed up for a very prominent course claiming to be Asia's leading financial training school, taught by a very well-known Singaporean motivational speaker *hint hint. I read his book on stocks trading and was extremely impressed, hence I signed up for his course thinking that I will learn more about the stock market. The course was conducted over 4 days and consisted of the following:

Course fee: ~$4700

Day 1: Storytelling session of his own life and motivational talk.
Day 2: More storytelling and motivational talks for psychological conditioning.
Day 3: Some basic technical analysis and position-sizing methods. He teaches moving average crossovers for buy/sell signals that are a guaranteed way to lose money in trading. Rest of the day was spent on teaching how to set up demo accounts for trading (which I already knew), that was taken over by this HORRIBLE trainer who spoke in a very fast-paced manner with terrible English and was practically shouting throughout the session. Everyone just looked lost.
Day 4: Fundamental analysis for stocks using Warren Buffet's method. Rest of the day was a sales pitch session for co-investing with him in foreign properties, more motivational talks, and another sales pitch session for more of his motivational courses. He tries to up sell you another $10,000 trading course, which he claims is only for the strong-minded, and you must go through an interview session to even be considered. So effectively, this is a red flag telling you that everything you've learnt for the past 4 days are not enough for trading.

Booster sessions: He provided two so-called "booster sessions" after the course, one of which was by the horrible trainer, and another was a 2 hour preview for a trading course by another of his associate who used to be a bankrupt, which costs ~$5000. Sad thing is, I saw many people signing up for it. He also offers "revision" classes and charges $500/session.

Conclusion: 90% of the course content taught was regurgitated word-for-word from his book, which I only spent $20+ on. And absolutely AVOID all forex/stocks courses offered by his company, which cost nothing less than $4000. *hint OFT, PT etc Their ads are still trending strongly on Facebook.

The next review is about a forex course offered by a Singaporean ex-national sailor *hint hint (also seen in Facebook ads). I attended his preview with a friend who later signed up for it. He claims to spend only 15 mins a day monitoring the charts, and wins trades 70%-90% of the time.

Course fee: ~$3700

He offers forex signals and follow-up coaching services which are priced at ~$300/mth, and his forex signals are unreliable (weird for a 70%-90% win rate). He also only trades crosses with large spreads which are damn lame. What pissed me off the most was he used his private students-only Facebook group as a selling point to entice people to sign up, claiming that weekly potential trade set-ups will be discussed there. The reality is, they DO NOT post trade set-ups before the trade (you will have to subscribe to their $100/mth forex signals service for this). Trade setups were posted only on hindsight, claiming how much profits they've made. Even a monkey can claim how profitable it is by trading on hindsight. Not to mention their poor administration. Two people I know in the course (including my friend) paid for a month of forex signals and did not receive any signals because they were not included in the subscribers' list, and were not refunded. My friend emailed them twice and waited for a week before getting a response.

Final review is about this online forex course offered by a Singaporean, who posts pictures of himself with his wife and kid claiming that he has nothing to hide. He also offers a forex trade copier service that charges $260/mth and guarantees >10% returns a month, otherwise you don't have to pay for that month.

Course fee: $400

To be fair, his course materials are value-for-money and good educational material for beginner and intermediate forex traders. However, beware of his claims for trade copier service. He publishes completely fake signal performance results on his website and excludes his losses to look profitable every month. And he refunds the monthly subscription fee for his trade copier service ONLY IF you choose to discontinue his service (which was never mentioned in his website), which I'm glad I did as I've lost money. He did refund me the subscription fee though after a few email exchanges.

Also beware of this US-based Trading Academy that is now in Singapore. Their reputation online is notorious and they charge a whopping $36,000 for their course! I attended their 3-day workshop (worth $500) for free after winning a voucher at an investment fair (all others in the class actually paid for it), which consisted of how the various financial markets work and how much money their students made using their supply and demand strategy, and horrendous one-to-one hard-selling through "guidance interviews" every 3-hourly where a sales rep literally sits you in a private room behind closed doors to convince you to sign up, otherwise the course fee will increase "next month", and even they do not know what price it'll be because its a "secret" that only HQ knows. They did not reveal anything about their so-called strategy.

I know people who've attended courses by T3B, PowerUp Capital, Statistical Traders. You can easily google for their reviews online. I personally have read T3B's course content and in my opinion, it is pure bull.

From my experience, 100% of all materials taught in such courses are readily available in much greater detail on YouTube or any trading educational website like Babypips and Stockcharts. CFD brokers like Oanda, CMC, and IG also offer many free educational webinars and seminars on technical analysis that pretty much teach the same thing. There are NO "little-known secrets" as the courses claim, and it definitely takes more than 15 mins a day to monitor the charts and plan your trades ahead. And I do NOT trade live account until I achieved an average of more than 5% monthly returns for 3 months on demo account.

I am glad to say that I have been achieving very good monthly returns for the past one year, even when the stock markets are bleeding. It is possible, but comes with a lot of hard work, discipline, and perseverance. And best of all, the best resources that I came across are free.

great of more and more people like u to share these.
please do highlight more...
bazingaman likes this.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Nice write up..

As for the first two,, I am sure but as for the last

$400 is reasoanble..
act333 and jrider90 like this.
sonicdeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

The most important part of his sharing...
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #6

Mod:Unsolicited Content (Commercial solicitation / Ads / Referrals / Spam)

very subtle advertisement of the blog

Last edited by Perisher; 03-02-2016 at 01:04 AM..
scorpion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

This kind of lesson may be helpful for some, but impractical for the majority who attended it. True fact is strategy cannot be copied multiple times and still stay useful.

Come HWZ moneymind more often, I'm sure you'll learn more from the experience of the laojiao here so you don't repeat our mistakes & save you some tuition fees on investing.

Dyhalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
Master Member

Thanks for sharing. My view is if those trading gurus really knew how to to make consistent money on the market, why would they even bother setting up a school to teach people how to trade? Won't they just make their millions and then retire?
tiertime and provisure like this.
microtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

those who can't do, teach
Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
Master Member

I sincerely sympathize with TS and want to up this thread and hope those whom are willing to pay can find a good teacher/mentor.

there are real credible ones that will truly teach.

but honestly speaking from life experience..... the best way is still learning the basics and applying via demo to learn.

this has been my journey. there is no solid way that will fit for everyone.

but my wish is that more will wisen up and stop falling for rubbish scams.
Bigoya likes this.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

Up this thread.

Please do our part to expose those so called "gurus" out there.

Not sure how long this thread will last though...
reavervon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

As long as members don't accuse things anyhow, this thread should be able to survive.
Personal opinion of courses is fine. Just don't use words, link directly to courses or persons, like scams or fraud. Saying those in general should be safe.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #13

Thanks for sharing. My view is if those trading gurus really knew how to to make consistent money on the market, why would they even bother setting up a school to teach people how to trade? Won't they just make their millions and then retire?
It seems quite clear to me that they KNOW that they will earn more money charging fees to teach trading, than actually trading themselves.
provisure likes this.
kehyi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #14

Sorry to interject, saw this post while surfing the forum...

IMO, you cannot trade FX and win on a consistent basis doing TA and have a better chance at the casino even with the hefty entry fee (and please not MA crossovers!) - you have a much better chance understanding the fundamentals of the currency pairs you are going to trade, and managing risk (one way is not over-leverage). Follow the fundamentals, and plan your entry and exit using price action (TA). This is a sure way to increase your chance.

Education is crucial but education need not come at hefty fee. It's more economical to learn from books in the library, and pay small school fee in the market.

All the best!
provisure and DuffyP like this.
cupcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:53 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Lol thanks for the productive posts

Optionstrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.