HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

What are these wealth advisors? They any good?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BBCWatcher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #1

What are these wealth advisors? They any good?

Almost all banks got their wealth advisers..are they the same for financial advisers? They got different type of adviser for different category of net worth individuals? Anyone got experience with them before?
taquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Almost all banks got their wealth advisers..are they the same for financial advisers? They got different type of adviser for different category of net worth individuals? Anyone got experience with them before?
same same but different
Old 23-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

They're all sales-people. (With a very few exceptions—some financial advisors get paid by the hour, so they have no interest in selling you things. But these are the rare exceptions.)

The only difference between, say, the advisors at DBS Treasures and DBS Treasures Private Client and DBS Private Bank are the products they can sell you and the quality of the coffee they give you when you come into the branch. And "Private Bank can sell you different products" doesn't mean those products are better, it just means they're different. Private-bank products can blow you up in all sorts of entertaining ways (TARFs anyone?).
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

One that sells you products to grow your wealth with bank products.

The other that sells you products to insure yourself and 'grow your wealth' with insurance products.
duhduhduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 05:19 AM   #5

One that sells you products to grow your wealth with bank products.

The other that sells you products to insure yourself and 'grow your wealth' with insurance products.
Correction: They sell you products so they themselves can make money. These people are essentially sales people.
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #6
High Honorary Member

Sales people I guess ?
mrclubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Correction: They sell you products so they themselves can make money. These people are essentially sales people.
You can omit the word “essentially.”

As Shiny Things points out, the only real way to get financial advice solely in your interest is to hire a competent (or better) financial planner who is not compensated in any way except by you. These financial planners do not sell products, at all. And you might hire a couple different ones at various points, similar to how you might get a second medical opinion for a complex situation.

Last edited by BBCWatcher; 23-05-2020 at 09:01 AM..
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #8

Eh so they only recommend you products that are from/related to their own company? They won't recommend like oversea stocks or crypto?
taquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

I read/hear that Jurong East Philip investor center, they will advise you base on your investial appetite. Can be invest in stock, bond, UT etc.
You can ask them for their charges before you agree on anything.
Andrew833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

I read/hear that Jurong East Philip investor center, they will advise you base on your investial appetite. Can be invest in stock, bond, UT etc.
You can ask them for their charges before you agree on anything.
They will give you advice, but they work for and are paid by PhillipCapital. They don't work for you.
mrclubbie and tutonic like this.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Every salespeople will run through your investment appetite and offer you the products that suit your investment appetite.

Say if you want overseas stock or crypto - then you see if the 'advisor' company offers the product.

Some here have recommend you to approach any "independent financial advisor"? Because if you are not paying salary to this "independent financial advisor", I don't know how he is going to feed himself/herself and the family. And not all "independent financial advisor" has all the knowledge to the range of products available. So I personally do not think there is one that is truly "independent", maybe except, for disclosing all the commissions and sales fees.

BBCWatcher raises a good point of finding a couple of advisors and ran them through various (1-2) person to offer you second opinions. Let them provide their evaluations accordingly (this takes up their time though).

Some banks or insurance companies offers their own unique products which can be fairly attractive.
duhduhduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
High Honorary Member

They will give you advice, but they work for and are paid by PhillipCapital. They don't work for you.
And don't expect them to monitor the prices for you too
Old 23-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

And don't expect them to monitor the prices for you too
They just recommend only.
I very often receive their sms for any stock that going up. Do you own research before betting on it.
My UMS is recommended by them.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
High Honorary Member

They just recommend only.
I very often receive their sms for any stock that going up. Do you own research before betting on it.
My UMS is recommended by them.
Yes. However for many, recommend = confirm good = must buy.
And you know usually they will do enticing.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:46 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

Yes. However for many, recommend = confirm good = must buy.
And you know usually they will do enticing.
Yea, agree with you.
I always calculate the percentage of the target sell price first, if too low, I don’t bother.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.