HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

What your view about putting money into SPY every month and only holding SPY

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #31
Master Member

In order to be underweight in US you have to overweight somewhere else... what do you propose to overweight in this case?

For me, I don’t have a good answer.. and for that reason I would not recommend any investor go below 50% US.

If you compare industries of companies in the US vs rest of the world, technology is the stand out. So without US, you end up heavily underweight in technology from a global standpoint. Therefore, if you are going limit your exposure to 20% US, I would recommend choosing a sector specific ETF focused 100% on technology.
You misunderstand. I'm not under weighting US, I'm overweighting it.

I'm saying that with a global portfolio (including US) as base, overweighting some more US (by means of a S&P etf) seems to be acceptable.

It is comparable to how some decide to buy IWDA instead of VWRA.
Okenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

What's wrong with VWRA or IWDA alone?
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #33
Master Member

What's wrong with VWRA or IWDA alone?
Nothing. But the original question was about S&P, so if someone does want to mix S&P with a VWRA (for eg.), I'm saying that in small amounts, it doesn't overweight US any more than choosing IWDA would (for eg.)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #34

Nothing. But the original question was about S&P, so if someone does want to mix S&P with a VWRA (for eg.), I'm saying that in small amounts, it doesn't overweight US any more than choosing IWDA would (for eg.)
Oh, you are saying one should be 20/80 in US/non-US if already owning something like IWDA that has a good chunk of US already. That would depend how much IWDA is as a percent of your total.

I always look at my exposure in totality across everything (top down). So if I own something like IWDA, I will break it down by % US/Europe/Japan and then combine that with any other holdings so that I can see the total exposure across all investments.
celtosaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #35

Market crash means for STI probably will fall by >35% in Singapore. Your 7% upside to date will be too little buffer to cushion the crash fall.
And it will take another 5 years or more after the crash to recover your losses, so end up 10 years later profits negligible if you are buying in past 4 years till now?

Let's wait and see
Aiyoh dont be wet blanket can? I only do dca with whatever money i can spare...

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 8 PRO using GAGT
JetStorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.