HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Will making

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #181
Supremacy Member

Brought my father to make a will. After questioning from the lawyer, the lawyer refused her service saying my father was not in a position to make a will
I asked my lawyer who applied LOA for me in 2009, whether can he make a will for my 90 yo aunty. He replied that he needs my aunt to have medical certification. Told him that's not convenient for my aunt. In the end he gave me the will (foc) to let my aunt find her own witnesses and sign the will.
Sometimes, it is better for lawyers not to do certain transactions that could return to haunt them.
edwinttt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #182
Master Member

Beginning of this month, I applied for LOA. All-in charge $1350.
Sian...feel like I kenna chopped...googled around and most seem to be around $1200...then mine grant of probate and make a will already $1500...

What done is done bah...can't cry over spilled milk...
qazamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #183
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sian...feel like I kenna chopped...googled around and most seem to be around $1200...then mine grant of probate and make a will already $1500...

What done is done bah...can't cry over spilled milk...
$1,500 includes court fee and lawyer disbursements?

In 2009, my LOA cost $1,500 excluding disbursements of $800.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #184

ehhhhhhhhhh so i need to check if the flat is joint tenancy or under tenancy in common?
I think jointly held assets can be willed.

The principle of survivorship applies to jointly held assets, and therefore if you are not the last surviving owner on your death then it will not form part of your estate and therefore will not be given out according to your will. The courts will just use the principle of ademption and ignore the part that deals with the jointly held asset.

So can put in will, just that if you're not the surviving owner then it will not pass according to your will. But if you are the surviving owner then it will be considered yours, the survivorship won't apply and it'll pass according to your will.

If both joint owners don't put in will then go intestate, lagi jialat.

I think the new platform that got featured on zaobao - I think its called willcraft or willcraftnow allows your to put joint assets into your will and handles the ademption thing in the will. Apparently they also just launched a new feature that allows your to get your will reviewed by a lawyer at $49, after drafting it online at $99. So much cheaper than going to a lawyer and asking them to draft from scratch!
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #185

Now u can write your own will with OCBC's online will generator, no need pay legal fees

https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...stbanner):::#/
SKenny likes this.
maple96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #186
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now u can write your own will with OCBC's online will generator, no need pay legal fees

Thanks. Bookmarked.
SKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #187

2 questions:
1) Can executor be also a beneficiary of my will
2) Do I hv to explicitly list out all my bank & trading accounts? Or can I just state generally "All banking accts and trading accts held under my name" or something like. As I open new accts from time to time, I dun want to hv to amend my will each time.
Urbanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #188
Arch-Supremacy Member

U still need two witnesses.
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #189
Arch-Supremacy Member

2 questions:
2) Do I hv to explicitly list out all my bank & trading accounts? Or can I just state generally "All banking accts and trading accts held under my name" or something like. As I open new accts from time to time, I dun want to hv to amend my will each time.
Yes and no.
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #190
Master Member

Most executor are one of the beneficieries. Motivates them to faster close case n move on.
Witnesses cannot be beneficiaries.

Best to list all but not necessary.

2 questions:
yoongf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #191
Arch-Supremacy Member

Most executor are one of the beneficieries. Motivates them to faster close case n move on.

In addition, you don't need to disclose the content of the will to the 2 witnesses. The witness basically ensures that the testator has the intention and mental capacity to form a legal will.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...to-a-will.html
SKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #192
Supremacy Member

In addition, you don't need to disclose the content of the will to the 2 witnesses. The witness basically ensures that the testator has the intention and mental capacity to form a legal will.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...to-a-will.html
It is probably better to use a link that applies Singapore laws.
Old 27-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #193
Supremacy Member

Witnesses can be beneficiaries.
However, beneficiaries who are witnesses cannot take a benefit under the will. A duly executed will does not become invalid by virtue of beneficiaries being witnesses. [Wills Act, section 10 Gifts to attesting witness or to wife or husband of attesting witness to be void]

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/WA1838?Vi...20170326174929
Old 27-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #194
Supremacy Member

2 questions:
1) Yes.
2) No. A will speaks from its death. So, at the time of death, “All banking accts and trading accts held under my name” would have been covered.
Old 29-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #195

Can I appoint a law firm to act as my executor?
Urbanchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.