Moto Z Play

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really like the Z Play but no budget for it at local prices. :( If you can afford it, get it, won't regret it unless you need top end camera performance like iPhone's or S7's.

Went for consolation price from another brand instead...

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there's a $80 coupon on qoo10 with 10% off shop coupon for motorola for item above $500 for a couple of days. Works out to around $550. Still rather pricey for its specs though if you ask me. :s13:

Really like the Z Play but no budget for it at local prices. :( If you can afford it, get it, won't regret it unless you need top end camera performance like iPhone's or S7's.

zekai

Reaction score
super ex for a forgotten brand. i will buy if they do a RAZR form factor

Inertiaholic

Reaction score
actually its camera is very good except the focus speed is not as fast as s7, but easily comparable with any other brands out there.

As for the processor, i am still astounded by how battery sipping it is.

weeza77

Reaction score
I have other smartphones in mind and also considering the Moto Z Play and I am a little not too sure as I get different specifications listed when I Google for Moto Z Play specifications.

Can someone using the Moto Z Play confirms whether the Moto Z Play supports the following...

1. M1 VoLTE (voice over LTE for clearer voice)
2. 802.11 ac WiFi (5GHz Wireless AC)
3. LED notification for missed calls/SMS/Whats App...
4. Does the Moto Z Play support Bluetooth 4.0 or 4.1?

Thanks.

1. I'm on M1, still drop to 3G for voice calls.
2. Don't think its AC equipped.
3. No LED notification.
4. Can't recalled.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have other smartphones in mind and also considering the Moto Z Play and I am a little not too sure as I get different specifications listed when I Google for Moto Z Play specifications.

Can someone using the Moto Z Play confirms whether the Moto Z Play supports the following...

1. M1 VoLTE (voice over LTE for clearer voice)
2. 802.11 ac WiFi (5GHz Wireless AC)
3. LED notification for missed calls/SMS/Whats App...
4. Does the Moto Z Play support Bluetooth 4.0 or 4.1?

Thanks.

Always check official site first: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-play

I have no idea why would you want LED when Motorola already has the superior system in Active Display ?

Heidel

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.

In this thread, someone using Singtel here said he is getting VoLTE. I google and found that the Moto Z Play does support VoLTE. I called M1 to inquire and I was told even if the Moto Z Play support VoLTE, M1 does not support it. :(

Anyway, I have 2 weeks (by Mid-May) to decide whether I should go for 2 units of the Moto Z Play, re-contract with M1.

1. I'm on M1, still drop to 3G for voice calls.
2. Don't think its AC equipped.
3. No LED notification.
4. Can't recalled.

Heidel

Reaction score
Always check official site first: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-play

I have no idea why would you want LED when Motorola already has the superior system in Active Display ?

Thank you.
The Moto website does not include certain specification for the Moto Z Play. For example... whether the Moto Z Play support LTE Cat.6 speed and VoLTE? I called Moto support desk in the Philippines, including emailed to them and I was told the Moto Z Play does not support LTE Cat.6 speed and it also does not support VoLte.

Strangely, I emailed to M1 and over the phone, I was told the Moto Z Play support LTE Cat.6 speed. This is important, I don't want to get any phones that limits to LTE Cat.4 speed of 150 Mbps DL and 50 Mbps UL when currently M1, Singtel, Starhub offers available data transmission of up to 300 Mbps DL and 50 Mbps UL which is the LTE Cat.6 speed, even though they are theoretically on paper.

On the LED light notification, I guess I am used to that from all the previous phones. Might need to adapt to without it if I decide to go for this phone.

Last edited:

undeniable

Reaction score

they downgraded the active display from moto x style. last time it would activate active display by itself every couple of mins when you had notifications, now in moto z play would only activate when your hand goes over it. also cant use moto voice to check notifications now. when your phone not near you you will never know if there is notifications or not.

feel very cheated =(

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.

In this thread, someone using Singtel here said he is getting VoLTE. I google and found that the Moto Z Play does support VoLTE. I called M1 to inquire and I was told even if the Moto Z Play support VoLTE, M1 does not support it. :(

Anyway, I have 2 weeks (by Mid-May) to decide whether I should go for 2 units of the Moto Z Play, re-contract with M1.

Y u need 2 sets?

Heidel

Reaction score

Upper mid-range smartphone good enough for my liking with...

+* Snapdragon 625 (based on 14 nm FinFet technology - up to 35% lesser power consumption, more efficient, and a cooler chipset).
+* Pure Android experience, no bloatware.
+* 5.5" Super Amoled Screen with good color temperature at std display setting.
+* 3510 mAh battery capacity with excellent battery performance.
+* Turbo power charging adapter 5V 3A 15W included for fast turbo power charge.
+* Nano coating for water-repellent / good anti-fingerprint smudges - P2i Technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zMb368QF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxaqvLvS0E

+* Moto Action / Moto Display / Moto Voice
+* USB OTG supported for external device.
+* Fingerprint reader doubles as power button for locking and unlocking screen.
+* Lower surface temperature under load.
+* Dual Nano SIM card slot with dedicated Micro SD card slot.
+* NFC
+* USB Type C port supports the USB 3.1 standard for transferring files from PC to the smartphone.
+* Able to read QR and Bar codes directly from stock camera app.
+* Solid build and solid feel smartphone in the hand.
+* Out of the box with Android 6. Updated to Android 7.

Sadly, it does not support 802.11ac 5GHz Wifi, no OIS for front and back camera, otherwise the camera photos are good enough, not comparable to flagship smartphones.

You can watch one of the Moto Z Play review here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bU-QGsJUoc

Last edited:

Heidel

Reaction score
The stock camera suppose to be able to scan or auto read (built-in reader) any bar code and QR code. This feature is also highlighted in the pdf manual. I tested with the camera and it does not auto detect any bar code or QR code.

Any Moto Z Play users here manage to get it working?

Heidel

Reaction score
I am not receiving in-coming Gmail notification. Always need to launch Gmail app and it will auto refresh for any in-coming emails.

Any help as to any settings to make it work?

Heidel

Reaction score
After trouble shootings and playing around for sometime, both the Gmail notification and QR and bar codes scan are working now. Bty must be in normal mode:s12:

Heidel

Reaction score
This is truly one of the best smartphone I ever own.
Besides the larger 5.5" super amoled display, turbo power charging, 3510 mAh battery capacity, the Moto Z Play battery power consumption is getting very low rate when it is idle and very efficient under load resulted in impressive battery runtime. No worries about battery not able to last thru the day. It is not easy to kill the battery. It lasted at least more than 3 days for low usage, moderate usage with 2+ days.

I am also using the 2nd SIM slot for M1 1GB free data that comes with M1 fiber broadband. :s12:

Heidel

Reaction score
Faster speed confirmed. The Moto Z Play comes with LTE Cat.6 Speed - 300Mbps DL and 50Mbps UL.

I did a speed test inside my apartment and I am getting 205Mbps DL and 46Mbps UL.

Previously, my Sony Z3 was LTE Cat.4 Speed specs was 150Mbps DL and 50Mbps UL. I can only achieved 80Mbps DL, below 100Mbps.

Last edited:

Heidel

Reaction score
How? can share?

Battery Saver must be off (normal mode). Whenever the battery saver mode is turned on, it helps to improve battery life. Email messaging and other apps that rely on syncing may not be updated unless you open them. By having the battery saver switched off, I was able to receive Gmail notification and the stock camera app with the build-in reader or scanner is able to scan bar codes and QR codes automatically.

You do not need to touch the shutter button when scanning for bar codes or QR codes, the camera app automatically scan or read them and it will pop-up with a link for you to explore the scanned item.

When the battery saver is switch-on, you will also see the top and bottom home screen portion of your screen is with an orange or red color bar.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.