HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Rock/Metal/Heavy Metal/Deathcore/WHATEVER HARDCORE

Like Tree948Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #1081
Greater Supremacy Member

Jeff Hanneman, one of the founding guitarists of the pioneering thrash metal band Slayer**, died today in Southern California of liver failure. He was 49.

Hanneman had been on hiatus from Slayer since early 2011, when he contracted necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease that doctors believed might have been caused by a spider bite. Hanneman almost lost his arm, and was briefly placed in a medically-induced coma. After a series of skin grafts, he had been working on his physical rehabilitation, including playing guitar; the door had been left open for his return to Slayer upon recovery.

Hanneman performed on every Slayer release to date, and wrote many of the band's career-defining songs, including "Angel of Death," "South of Heaven," "Raining Blood" and "War Ensemble." Hanneman and Kerry King perfected a fiery twin-lead guitar style that propelled Slayer to the forefront of the thrash metal movement of the early 1980s, where they were crowned as one of the genre's "Big Four," along with Metallica**, Megadeth** and Anthrax**.

Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Sidelined by Flesh-Eating Disease**

Twin-guitar soloing was a hallmark of thrash metal from the start, but the particular brand of spiraling chaos that came from Hanneman and King's swapped leads created a more apocalyptic, uncontrollable atmosphere that helped set the band apart from its peers, who often opted for a more melodic approach. The band took pride in the distinction, with King telling Rolling Stone in 2009, "When we come on, it sounds like the world's going to end."

Hanneman grew up in a military family, and his fascination with warfare and violence came through in Slayer's artwork and lyrics, many of which he also wrote. His most notorious lyrics, from 1986's "Angel of Death," matter-of-factly describe the atrocities committed by Nazi doctor Josef Mengele at Auschwitz. Many mistook this interest in one of history's darkest chapters for endorsement or sympathy with its perpetrators something the band has worked to rebut ever since.

As Slayer went on, Hanneman gradually reduced his lyrical contributions while continuing to write a significant portion of the music including all but one of the tracks on 1998's Diabolus in Musica, as well as the song "Disciple" from 2001's God Hates Us All, which has become the band's standard set-opener in concert since then.

He developed an onstage style that became well-known among metal fans, as he was often clad in Oakland Raiders jerseys and camouflage pants or shorts, his hands blurred from ferocious picking as he hunched over a guitar emblazoned with a giant Heineken logo, the brand name replaced by "Hanneman."

Slayer formed in Huntington Beach, California, in 1982, and released their debut, Show No Mercy, the following year. Hanneman wrote or co-wrote the majority of the material, including "Die by the Sword" and "Black Magic," which are still concert staples. The band released Reign in Blood in 1986, a Rick Rubin-produced, 29-minute concentrated blast that, for many, remains the be-all, end-all of thrash metal. Two of Hanneman's compositions, "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood," book-end the album. As the band developed into the 1990s, albums like Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven slowed down the tempos, opting instead to focus on eerie atmospheres and inspiring dread, while still displaying some of the ferocity of the band's earlier material. More recent efforts, including 2006's Christ Illusion and 2009's World Painted Blood, renewed the band's fascination with speed.

When Hanneman was forced to go on hiatus for health reasons two years ago, Exodus guitarist and fellow thrash pioneer Gary Holt took his place. Hanneman's final appearance with Slayer was a surprise cameo during the encore of the Big Four Festival in Indio, California, on April 23rd, 2011. He performed two of his best-known songs, "South of Heaven" and "Angel of Death."
ParkJinYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1082

RIP Jeff Hanneman, you're one of my fav guitarist that i look forward to.
deathan9el likes this.
ththeoryofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #1083
Mentor

oh my ..
me thot he's just not well & didn't think that it'd be that serious . :/

rip bro Hanneman .

commie_rick likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #1084
Great Supremacy Member

sh1t, man i thught my friend was kidding when he put that on facebook.

slayer was the first hardcore punk + metal band i listened to and loved ! DRI , dead kennedys, those are slayer's influences. they influenced me too

nobody ever tops slayer. sh1t man, im so depressed. i dont wanna live anymore. jeff you are the man

dedicate this emo metal song to him and other fans

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #1085
Great Supremacy Member

one of the best punk covers. i posted before, i guess it doesnt hurt to pay tribute to jeff .

whole album for you guys to mosh, circle pit , stage dive. hardcore punk, trash style !
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #1086
Mentor

Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #1087
Master Member

azz909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #1088
Great Supremacy Member

ah. mr chuck . good stuff !
Old 13-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #1089
Master Member

Can you believe he made that album at age of 18? Voice sound more like a matured man. Music was possibly the heaviest ard.
azz909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #1090
Mentor

Old 18-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #1091
Mentor

ready ?

on ur mark .. get set ... headbang !!

Eternal-fire likes this.
Old 19-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #1092
High Supremacy Member

wols.. just found out Avantasia gotch new album siol.

The Mystery Of Time

rizal5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #1093
High Supremacy Member

got power ballad oso siol

rizal5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #1094
Mentor

gen info:

Metallica's Quebec Magnetic Blu Ray avail in stores @ $22.90/- .

Old 21-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #1095
Great Supremacy Member

ready ?

on ur mark .. get set ... headbang !!

New song!
deathan9el likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.