HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Guide to SPF Enlistment

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #526

you mean that is a make or break for u to sign on???
Just curious lah hahah
jchow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #527

hey, I'll be in enlisting on the 13th nov, PTP (BP) batch, your guide has been really important to me, thank you!

I have a kiwi, but it's not those normal kind. its the Shine & Protect (looks like armpit roller), and im wondering if that is allowed?
Same I will be enlisting in 13 nov too
Chanchan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #528

What if we bring iPhone and the camera is not removed, what will happen?
Chanchan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #529

What if we bring iPhone and the camera is not removed, what will happen?
They will ask you to pass it to your parents upon checking and realizing that the camera is not removed. If your parents aren't there to see you off, you will pass your camera phone to your CM, and he/she will pass it back to you when you book out the following week.
Parmesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #530

So, I can understand how IPPT and shooting will be difficult to pass/excel. However, are the law lessons really that easy? I thought it will be more difficult because it covers everything on what and when a police officer can or cannot do stuff ( also I want to use NS to take a break from studying, don't want to spend all the nights studying some more).
Honestly speaking, law lessons are not that difficult. You do not have to spend nights revising like 'O' or 'A' levels. But you will have to pay attention in class, and take notes when necessary.

and just a trivia question: are there any badges/patches to earn in the SPF? I know it is the only NS organisation without IPPT badges and they do not have any unit patches/ other skill badges unlike the SAF/ SCDF. The only one I have seen so far is the AOFI badge they wear in HTA.
There is the ERT badge that PCG has. Not sure if any other vocations let NSFs take the course though...

Also the reason why SPF doesn't have Marksman badges/IPPT badges is that frontline officers are expected to get at least a silver and first class for shooting. So essentially, a lot of the officers you see on the ground are physically fit and can shoot, as if you fail shooting you are barred from arms.

Have there been ANY cases of people going to SOC in an even numbered intake, even if the number is 1. I may consider speaking to CM about it ( after I think I have sufficently proven myself of course) and look at alternative options of entering PTU
There is another way you can enter, like I said before, you can go into OCC and become and Insp, then go to PTU.

I am surprised to hear that PTU needs contact lenses as I have seen photos and even videos of PTU with their glasses on ( even when also wearing the gas mask) , but hey I guess I will find out when I get in.

and sorry, I cannot PM anyone yet due to my lack of post count but will try to ask questions that will not break OSA.
PTU is super strict when in training, for example, you have to surrender your phone when you book into camp on Sunday night/Monday morning, and you will only get it back when you book out. During training, they require you to wear contacts as the mask and equipment is quite difficult to put on with glasses.

Last edited by Parmesean; 07-11-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #531

If I signed on will I only get my IC back after I leave the force ?
No, for SPF, you will get back your IC when you are confirmed and sign the bond. Don't know exactly when, just know that after you sign on you will get your IC back, as the 11b is only for NSFs
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #532

Dear fellow collegue, which office were you posted to?
Same office. Sit in front of you only. Haha hahaha. Still can have power in both of our name somemore. Wth
Power Is Scarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #533

There is the ERT badge that PCG has. Not sure if any other vocations let NSFs take the course though...

Interesting, I have always thought that ERT is only for Regulars and only land divisions have them.

You have garnered my interest in the PCG. Seems like there is more to it than just sailing and catching illegal immigrants. I personally don't have much interest in sailing and boat-work but still are you able to share a few details on how PCG life is like and what are the different roles around them? ( especially in regards to firearms use) .
Ghostaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #534

Enlisting tmr and I just realized on the To Bring list they stated we're allowed to bring Power bank :0
Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #535

Enlisting tmr and I just realized on the To Bring list they stated we're allowed to bring Power bank :0
I'm not too sure about that, cos my list is from last year, so....
But if I recall correctly there is the ability to bring in a cable. I'm not too sure about a power bank...

You can bring one, worst case scenario they ask you to pass it to your parents during the lunch.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #536

will definitely try that highly doubt my intake would suddenly be able to bring in a power bank haha. will update whenever i can
Old 13-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #537

Thanks for the PM. Apologies that I can't send PMs due to my lack of post count so I will ask here.

How is the general PCG training like ( better still, do you learn a lot of rope and knot work?) and what are the different "sub-vocations" within the unit? I know some of them such as steersman, radar operator, ops room , and maintenance but I am most certainly interested in the boarding roles ( as you already gathered from my posts) and ERT. Do you know a bit on how to get selected for a boarding role/ ERT in the unit?

Now that we are on this subject, could you also tell me what your role is and what your role involves in the PCG? Would also like tp find out more about the STS but I think asking that is a bit of a stretch and is along the lines of OSA.

Once again, thanks for the information you have been providing to pre-enlistees. It is greatly appreciated. Maybe I will put PCG as my 3rd vocation choice instead of NPCO as I am now getting slightly interested in this role.
Ghostaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #538

Thanks for the PM. Apologies that I can't send PMs due to my lack of post count so I will ask here.

How is the general PCG training like ( better still, do you learn a lot of rope and knot work?) and what are the different "sub-vocations" within the unit? I know some of them such as steersman, radar operator, ops room , and maintenance but I am most certainly interested in the boarding roles ( as you already gathered from my posts) and ERT. Do you know a bit on how to get selected for a boarding role/ ERT in the unit?

Now that we are on this subject, could you also tell me what your role is and what your role involves in the PCG? Would also like tp find out more about the STS but I think asking that is a bit of a stretch and is along the lines of OSA.

Once again, thanks for the information you have been providing to pre-enlistees. It is greatly appreciated. Maybe I will put PCG as my 3rd vocation choice instead of NPCO as I am now getting slightly interested in this role.
PMed you... I'm always happy to provide information about PCG to anyone interested....
Old 13-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #539

Question

PMed you... I'm always happy to provide information about PCG to anyone interested....
how abt PNSmen that's due to MR at end of FY 2018

any idea abt what division does leading up to the end of FY?

seems like no luck from fellow bros as I ask in another thread so haf to try my luck here
matey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #540

how abt PNSmen that's due to MR at end of FY 2018

any idea abt what division does leading up to the end of FY?

seems like no luck from fellow bros as I ask in another thread so haf to try my luck here
MR stands for medical review, right? Unfortunately I am not sure regarding PNSmen, but I'll try ask around
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.