Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Looking for army stories of my late father

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chao_Ah_Tiong
  • 1 Post By Chao_Ah_Tiong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Looking for army stories of my late father

Hi, sorry this might be super random and I don't know if this is allowed as a thread but I came online hoping to find some stories about my late father.

His name was Raymond Tan Sei Meng, and I think he was a LTC? He died in 2013 from lung cancer since he was a smoker when I was still quite young (about 10), so I never did get the chance to know more about him. I'm hoping that I can find some people here who still remember him from SAF and have some stories to share, or how he was like? Very sorry if this isn't allowed but I don't know what other methods I have to find out more about my dad.
tjx2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Then MAJ Raymond Tan Sei Meng was my unit's S3 (operations officer) way back during my NSF days in 2005. (Can't say the unit's name but it was a reservist armour brigade) and he was technically the acting unit commander as the actual commander was a reservist and he was the highest ranking active personnel in the unit.

I don't really know well about him as he was posted out elsewhere shortly after I was posted to that unit and I was not from the S3 branch so I did not work directly under him and yes he was a heavy smoker back then as I saw him smoking in the smoking point very often. And according to my campmates who have worked under him before that he was quite a nice guy.

He was posted to CTTC or ABGTC (the armour reservist training centre) as commander somewhere in 2007-2008. I saw his name on the past/present commander plague in ABGTC Sungei Gedong Camp during reservist.

I don't really have much story to share except that I have heard from my unit mates that he was not one who will pull his rank unlike some officers/warrant officers. And coincidentally his assistant in the unit - the operations warrant also passed away prematurely somewhere shortly after the demise of LTC Raymond Tan.
tjx2003 likes this.

Last edited by Chao_Ah_Tiong; 16-09-2020 at 03:06 PM..
Chao_Ah_Tiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

Why donít u start with the unit he was in over the years. This will help u zoom in
ah_cheng1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Then MAJ Raymond Tan Sei Meng was my unit's S3 (operations officer) way back during my NSF days in 2005. (Can't say the unit's name but it was a reservist armour brigade) and he was technically the acting unit commander as the actual commander was a reservist and he was the highest ranking active personnel in the unit.

I don't really know well about him as he was posted out elsewhere shortly after I was posted to that unit and I was not from the S3 branch so I did not work directly under him and yes he was a heavy smoker back then as I saw him smoking in the smoking point very often. And according to my campmates who have worked under him before that he was quite a nice guy.

He was posted to CTTC or ABGTC (the armour reservist training centre) as commander somewhere in 2007-2008. I saw his name on the past/present commander plague in ABGTC Sungei Gedong Camp during reservist.

I don't really have much story to share except that I have heard from my unit mates that he was not one who will pull his rank unlike some officers/warrant officers. And coincidentally his assistant in the unit - the operations warrant also passed away prematurely somewhere shortly after the demise of LTC Raymond Tan.
Thank you very much! I appreciate every small detail that I can get since I never got the chance to know him better, i'm honestly surprised that there are still people who remember him :')
Old 16-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

Why donít u start with the unit he was in over the years. This will help u zoom in
I'd love to, but the thing is I really don't have much info about his army days, only what little I could find online I'll be looking for his army memorabilia though, hopefully I can find some more clues there
Old 16-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, sorry this might be super random and I don't know if this is allowed as a thread but I came online hoping to find some stories about my late father.

His name was Raymond Tan Sei Meng, and I think he was a LTC? He died in 2013 from lung cancer since he was a smoker when I was still quite young (about 10), so I never did get the chance to know more about him. I'm hoping that I can find some people here who still remember him from SAF and have some stories to share, or how he was like? Very sorry if this isn't allowed but I don't know what other methods I have to find out more about my dad.
no harm trying to build up the late memories of your father
matey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

Thank you very much! I appreciate every small detail that I can get since I never got the chance to know him better, i'm honestly surprised that there are still people who remember him :')
Some of us have mentioned about the late LTC Raymond Tan in the Sungei Gedong Camp thread:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...273180-43.html

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...273180-44.html

The late LTC Raymond Tan was an armour officer and it seems like before he became S3 in the reservist brigade that I served my full time NS he was the officer commanding (OC) of Kaffir company in 42SAR. Maybe those people who was in 42SAR during his tenure there can share more stories about him.

Also if I was not wrong during the time of his demise he was posted back to that reservist brigade (Not sure about the appointment that he held) and according to my former campmate who served his reservist in that brigade that the 1st ICT after his demise they have observed a minute of silence for him and during the eulogy it was mentioned that he was still very concerned about the unit even when he was very sick.
tjx2003 likes this.

Last edited by Chao_Ah_Tiong; 17-09-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Chao_Ah_Tiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

have TS tried writing to MINDEF to ask for more info, and to link up with his past colleagues?
chienwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.