NSMEN ORNS Cycle - Activities that Count

shiokbuys

Reaction score
Hi bros,

In Oct. 2013 last year, I asked my NS Unit how many ICTs I have left before I can be phased into MR (Mindef Reserve). It turned out that the folks in my unit were blissfully unaware of the policies. So I escalated to NS Portal, and they sent a girl who was equally unclear about the policies and she even gave me the wrong info!

So I happily went back to do my Make Up Training in April this year, thinking that it was my last ICT. Turned out that it wasn't the case! I again had to write in to seek clarification.

After countless emails, I finally had my reply.

This info is not clear on Mindef's website, so I thought I would post the official response here for the benefit of all NSMEN.

=======================================
NSmen have to complete 7 High-Key In-Camp Training (ICT) and 10 years of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) before they are posted to the MINDEF Reserve. For an NSman to be deemed as having completed an active ORNS year, he will have to perform an ORNS activity (e.g. ICT, mobilisation or briefing) during the work year. If the training activity happens to span two work years, the activity is counted towards the first work year. We note that you have served 7 High Key ICT and 9 years of ORNS. You will need to complete one more ORNS year before you are eligible to be posted to the MINDEF Reserve.

To etch this out a little bit more, in order to qualify for MR, there are 2 conditions to be met.

1) At least 7 high keys.
2) 10 years ORNS cycles.

For the first condition, the 7 high keys need to take place in 7 different work years (1st April).

That means if you go for two high-keys within the same work year, that will only count as 1 high-key. Mindef can call you up to max. of 40 days within a work year.

Many of my NS friends didn't know about this, and they happily attended the high key ICTs, thinking that they are counted. I kena twice and had 2 high key ICTs discounted.

For the second condition, there has to be at least 1 ORNS activity within the work year (e.g. ICT, mobilisation, briefing). Even 0.5 day briefing is counted. Note that IPPT, medical related activities like FFI and RT are not considered ORNS activities. That means if your unit did not call you up for the work year for at least 0.5 day briefing, that ORNS year is NOT COUNTED as an ORNS cycle.

On Mindef website, it says typically, to phase into MR, one needs to complete 7 high key + 3 low key. This can be confusing for some. 3 low keys are NOT mandatory. The only 2 conditions that needed to be met are stated above.

So it can be something like:

A) 10 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
B) 7 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
C) 7 high keys + 3 low keys, spanning 10 orns cycles.
D) 8 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
E) 9 high keys + 1 low key over 10 orns cycles.
etc....Hope you get the idea.

Please note that your own NS Unit may or may not be aware of the above. So you should keep track of your own records. Don't assume that they know, or they will track for you. There is staff turnover every 2 to 3 years in every unit. So the new personnel may not be clear about the policies. If in doubt, just ask your NS Unit or send an email to contact@ns.sg

Don't blur blur go attend so many high key ICTs. Some may end up not counted. If you don't track, and end up serving double high keys within the same work year, you may end up with something like:

A) 8 high keys but two not counted. So left with 6. Cannot MR.
B) 12 high keys but 6 not counted. So left with 6. Also cannot MR.

That time you object also no use, because Mindef states this is policy. In my case, I ended up with 9 high keys but 2 not counted, so left with 7. Still qualify. But end up still need 1 more ORNS cycle.

Hope the information is useful to all.

Take care, and enjoy NS!

Last edited:

Makunouchi_Ippo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros,

In Oct. 2013 last year, I asked my NS Unit how many ICTs I have left before I can be phased into MR (Mindef Reserve). It turned out that the folks in my unit were blissfully unaware of the policies. So I escalated to NS Portal, and they sent a girl who was equally unclear about the policies and she even gave me the wrong info!

So I happily went back to do my Make Up Training in April this year, thinking that it was my last ICT. Turned out that it wasn't the case! I again had to write in to seek clarification.

After countless emails, I finally had my reply.

This info is not clear on Mindef's website, so I thought I would post the official response here for the benefit of all NSMEN.

NSmen have to complete 7 High-Key In-Camp Training (ICT) and 10 years of Operationally Ready National Service (ORNS) before they are posted to the MINDEF Reserve. For an NSman to be deemed as having completed an active ORNS year, he will have to perform an ORNS activity (e.g. ICT, mobilisation or briefing) during the work year. If the training activity happens to span two work years, the activity is counted towards the first work year. We note that you have served 7 High Key ICT and 9 years of ORNS. You will need to complete one more ORNS year before you are eligible to be posted to the MINDEF Reserve.

To etch this out a little bit more, in order to qualify for MR, there are 2 conditions to be met.

1) At least 7 high keys.
2) 10 years ORNS cycles.

For the first condition, the 7 high keys need to take place in 7 different work years (1st April).

That means if you go for two high-keys within the same work year, that will only count as 1 high-key. Mindef can call you up to max. of 40 days within a work year.

Many of my NS friends didn't know about this, and they happily attended the high key ICTs, thinking that they are counted. I kena twice and had 2 high key ICTs discounted.

For the second condition, there has to be at least 1 ORNS activity within the work year (e.g. ICT, mobilisation, briefing). Even 0.5 day briefing is counted. Note that IPPT, medical related activities like FFI and RT are not considered ORNS activities. That means if your unit did not call you up for the work year for at least 0.5 day briefing, that ORNS year is NOT COUNTED as an ORNS cycle.

On Mindef website, it says typically, to phase into MR, one needs to complete 7 high key + 3 low key. This can be confusing for some. 3 low keys are NOT mandatory. The only 2 conditions that needed to be met are stated above.

So it can be something like:

A) 10 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
B) 7 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
C) 7 high keys + 3 low keys, spanning 10 orns cycles.
D) 8 high keys over 10 orns cycles.
E) 9 high keys + 1 low key over 10 orns cycles.
etc....Hope you get the idea.

Please note that your own NS Unit may or may not be aware of the above. So you should keep track of your own records. Don't assume that they know, or they will track for you. There is staff turnover every 2 to 3 years in every unit. So the new personnel may not be clear about the policies. If in doubt, just ask your NS Unit or send an email to contact@ns.sg

Don't blur blur go attend so many high key ICTs. Some may end up not counted. If you don't track, and end up serving double high keys within the same work year, you may end up with something like:

A) 8 high keys but two not counted. So left with 6. Cannot MR.
B) 12 high keys but 6 not counted. So left with 6. Also cannot MR.

That time you object also no use, because Mindef states this is policy. In my case, I ended up with 9 high keys but 2 not counted, so left with 7. Still qualify. But end up still need 1 more ORNS cycle.

Hope the information is useful to all.

Take care, and enjoy NS!

Thanks for the information !
Happy MR :s13: !

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful information. :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Mob briefing counted as briefing for ORNS requirement?

It's in the paragraph what. :s22:

For the second condition, there has to be at least 1 ORNS activity within the work year (e.g. ICT, mobilisation, briefing). Even 0.5 day briefing is counted.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
****.. i think i kena discounted i do more than 1 ORNS this year liao knn

shiokbuys

Reaction score
lol. Go check with your unit la. My experience with contact@ns.sg is quite bad. They just raise service request. Not their fault also, since they're more like a call center. But it took me more than 6 months just to get a straight reply as to what qualifies as 1 orns cycle. Wish you luck :)

****.. i think i kena discounted i do more than 1 ORNS this year liao knn

shiokbuys

Reaction score
i tot i have already explain many time in most NS thread?!?

Did you explain what counts as 1 orns cycle or what are orns activities?

Maybe you can help to keep reminding others. Looks like it's easy to get confused. Most people still think it's just 7hk + 10 orns to be eligible for MR.

What if they serve double HK within same work year? If they are not reminded they still think they going to MR after 7 hk. Maybe 1 or 2 no count, like what happened to me.

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if they serve double HK within same work year? If they are not reminded they still think they going to MR after 7 hk. Maybe 1 or 2 no count, like what happened to me.

You mean u r not aware tat double HK within the same work year is counted as one high?

shiokbuys

Reaction score
You mean u r not aware tat double HK within the same work year is counted as one high?

Looks like not only me. Got others still don't know. Every time go back ICT they kept telling us got count, got count. Actually it's no count.

I'm also not aware what counts as 1 orns cycle, since my unit all blur blur one.

Last edited:

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Very good clarifications. Should help fellow brothers who are still awaiting their MRs.

Though for my case, I do not really know how many ORNS activities I did. I have MRed 2 years back. All I know is I have servered 7 High Keys starting from I think November 1998 till November 2011, gotten the Hamilton Watch on my 6th High Key if I remember correctly and MRed back in March 2012. Hence I clocked 12 years. At first thought still waiting for 2 more low keys (only did 1) or 2 more high keys.

shiokbuys

Reaction score
Quote common not to know lah. Good that your unit MRed you. I used to think leave it to my unit to track. That was a mistake. They didn't quite know, so everyone confused. You still got watch. haha, I think if I get a proper response from my unit very good already.

Very good clarifications. Should help fellow brothers who are still awaiting their MRs.

Though for my case, I do not really know how many ORNS activities I did. I have MRed 2 years back. All I know is I have servered 7 High Keys starting from I think November 1998 till November 2011, gotten the Hamilton Watch on my 6th High Key if I remember correctly and MRed back in March 2012. Hence I clocked 12 years. At first thought still waiting for 2 more low keys (only did 1) or 2 more high keys.

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Quote common not to know lah. Good that your unit MRed you. I used to think leave it to my unit to track. That was a mistake. They didn't quite know, so everyone confused. You still got watch. haha, I think if I get a proper response from my unit very good already.

I did like most Brothers here checking back my SAF Booklet and try to do my own counting and at the no. 7 High Key, I asked my Squadron Inceh about my ORNS counts as I know I did 7 HK but only registered 1 LK. My Squadron Inceh replied that my unit may not have any LKs so I might need to expect 2 more HKs to make it a total count of 10. Then heng heng received MR notification back in 2012.

As for the watch, it's pretty useless. Hamilton watch? Cannot sell. No value.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.