HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Please Help! Signing On RSAF Officer

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

Of course there are multiple ways to be a patriot. and yes pride in the job is dependent on the person and how they themselves view it.

I don't find your broken glass bowl remark constructive.

Do you have any experiences of signing on to share? Seems to me you have quite the negative view about signing on. However, I must emphasize life in the RSAF is alot different from life in the army.

Keep it constructive. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Bro, you can ignore reddevil, he is notorious for providing useless or negative answers in the HWZ NS forums. I have no idea why he choose this forum to post mainly but don't have any constructive to advice. He may not even have served the army at all, honestly so to speak.

Anyway I am ORD the Airforce, so I may give you my two cents advice.

Regimentation in the air-force is indeed less strict as compared to the army as ranks in the air-force are lesser enforced as people just want to get things done. The unit I came from functions some sort like a 8-5 job unless there are exercise or urgent maintenance that needs to be done to ensure that our fighter jets can take off smoothly.

You will likely be taken in as an UAV pilot since you are a commissioned officer during your NSF days and graduating from a local university. Anyway you reasons for wanting to join the RSAF is typical, so good luck!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #17

Really appreciate the advice @Successor. And @TheOne

Will take it into consideration (:
gobbere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

Singapore Aerospace 2020 coming up in feb, maybe you can chat with the UAV people if RSAF send them there.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #19

Great idea _dXter! Thanks for the input! Will drop by the airshow too!
Old 17-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #20
Master Member

Firstly, ignore reddevil.

Secondly, you are signing as what? UAV pilot? What vocation?

Lastly, RSAF is indeed v different from SAF, in terms of regimentation and all. I myself went thru both OCS. And you will be officer on course, don't need to march or whatever in OCS.

Sent from Stamford Bridge using GAGT
sohcheekeong, Takagi and Idme231 like this.
MichealScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #21

Ok bruh former regular here. Both in the army and Air Force cause my vocation is across all 3 services. So if you know, you know. Life in the Air Force is certainly less regimental, and the truth is, when the people here talk, they make a lot more sense. In the Air Force, there's always room for debate.

I loved my time as a regular, especially the time in the Air Force.

That said, there are somethings you need to consider.

1) You mentioned Good Progression. As a non scholar officer, progression is limited and because UAV is a specialized skill, you'll find yourself confined mostly to the Squadron.

2) Transferring of skills. Should there be a day you decide to leave the force, you have to remember that many employers in the non-government sectors do not count your years of service as working experience. you'd be a older man with the same credentials as a fresh grads, fighting with them for the same positions. And be prepared that when you do leave, it'll be a massive pay cut. And if you have commitments by then such as family, car, could you afford to leave? And can your wife and children afford to see you unhappy?

While unmanned vehicle will see increased use in the civilian side, don't expect to be paid the same as when you are in uniformed.

3) SAF as a whole, no longer iron rice bowl. The higher you rise, the harder you fall. One man under you loses his life, or one UAV Crash, there goes your career. They have no qualms showing people the door these days.

So just some things for you to consider.

Think twice bro. I see you've been through army ocs before and about to graduate uni, but switching service like this will mean you'll have to go through air force service term and pro term all over again (dunno about tri-service) and that in itself is gonna feel like a drag. I can't imagine waking up at 530am for 5bx for another 6months again (then again, that probably doesn't happen in uav; i was from the most siong vocation in rsaf myself).

True that saf does pay very well now, but you won't be too far back after 6-8yrs in the corporate world. Otherwise, why would so many scholars leave after bond's up?
sohcheekeong likes this.
IRONHOG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #22
Great Supremacy Member

glad to see more constructive posts rather than the talk only post from the infamous one

but not sure if OP manage to see it or not
sohcheekeong likes this.
Old 19-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #23

Hi thanks everybody for the good comments

I am really glad that there are so many amazing and helpful people still here in this platform

Yes I am going for Uav vocation and will take into consideration all the helpful comments that was given (:
sohcheekeong likes this.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #24

I am really glad that there are so many amazing and helpful people still here in this platform

Yes I am going for Uav vocation and will take into consideration all the helpful comments that was given (:
Good luck! Wishing you a fruitful career!
sohcheekeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #25

Hi Seniors and Senpais,

Contemplating to sign on RSAF UAV squadron because of job stability, good pay, and good progression. RSAF is also not like the army and thus slightly different in terms of regimentation..

Not alot is known about life in the RSAF (for vocations other than pilot) and career talks are usually curated to paint a very nice picture...

Graduating soon from local uni, but wanted to know what is the working culture like and what to expect on a typical work week..

Please Help!

Kindly don't flame and constructive comments will definitely help!
UAV flying is not for the faint-hearted PM me if you still would like some advice!
firecrackerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:18 AM   #26

Hi looks like I was late to the “party”. Anyway I am just curious if you went ahead with the UAV position
alloyliew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #27

UAV flying is not for the faint-hearted PM me if you still would like some advice!
do you mind pming me to talk about the UAV Pilot vocation?
PotatoSalad_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.