Tips for Standing broad jump?

MeteorMeme

Reaction score
Getting quite despo alr.

tried jumping stairs but no use. i am 10cm away from silver..

now is doing squats.

can the pro share with me how train for this? :(

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
some people claim it has got to do with your jumping technique. personally i dunno abt it.

Luc85S

Reaction score
Secrets to Ace your IPPT/ NAPFA!

Extract from FitnessXchange - ns.sg

FitnessXchange has all the information you need to excel in your daily exercise regimes and IPPT/NAPFA. Get tips from the training guides to boost any aspect that you may be weak in and keep your BMI in check. You can also look up the timetables of FCC and SAFRA gyms if you plan to start an exercise routine. Step up on that healthy lifestyle with FitnessXchange!

triface

Reaction score
Definitely all about the jumping technique. This method worked for me personally. Even managed to get a 235 up from 210 on my best jump so far, but it may or may not work for you.

The fundamental concept is to aim to jump high, not far. If you aim to jump far, your forward momentum will be greater, but I find it sacrifices too much of your air time. In the end, you do not have enough air time to make use of the forward momentum. You will have to practice on this because it takes at least a few jumps to get the hang of jumping high.

As you're in the air, stretch your body backwards like a rubber, with your arms going as far back and upwards as possible and your two legs as far back as possible. The focus here is to get your legs as far back as possible in preparation for the next step. I find the arm thing helps with pulling your body backwards, but that's up to you to decide.

The last and most important step is to kick your legs in front right as you're about to land. This gives you the extra few cm that you wouldn't have gotten if you had just tried to keep your legs in front through the whole jump (unless you have super powerful abs). For this step, it is important to keep practicing. Kick too early and you end up having your legs bounce back a bit, losing you some distance, but kick too late and you're going to kick into the ground and fall down.

One often overlooked part of the body to train for SBJ are your abs, because without a good core you won't be able to do a lot of things well, such as, in our case, either keeping your legs close to your body or kicking your legs to the front.

bryant8

Reaction score
Getting quite despo alr.

now is doing squats.

If you are not slim... lose weight.

And do stretching to improve your range of mobility.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some people claim it has got to do with your jumping technique. personally i dunno abt it.
Technique and strength both matter I think. I see some people doing the SBJ effortlessly. They stand at the line and with one simple jump, they almost clear the bloody mat!!

Then I see some people wayang so much, keeping swinging their arms and despite all the wayang they hit less than a metre (no kidding).

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Getting quite despo alr.

now is doing squats.

60% technique, 40% strength. You can't overcome it with strength alone...

BTW I find that doing a few highjumper reps before actually attempting the SBJ helps for me. I feel that it helps to calibrate the way I jump.

MaxNan9535

Reaction score
What's your height? got chance is your legs too short. Got two dudes in my platoon who run super fast but cannot get gold cos of standing broad jump because they too short ( < 165 )

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's your height? got chance is your legs too short. Got two dudes in my platoon who run super fast but cannot get gold cos of standing broad jump because they too short ( < 165 )

Eh tall ppl also not say all can pass lor

ahhuatkopi

Reaction score
well it's not possible unless there's statistics to prove it lor. So same goes for your reply.

Well not everything can be proven using statistics. Why do you like statistical proof? Are you a statistician? Are you studying statistics? Do you have a statistics degree?

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Need to strengthen your lower body. Basically squats, lunges. Then after that, proceed to do plyo, as you need to translate the lower limb strength into power. So do box jumps, depth jumps, etc. Most people cant jump far due to technique and the way the swing. Lots of countermovement which actually make their jumps ineffective. I usually start them off by learning how to land. Then slowly intro lower limb strength exercises. Once they are ready, will intro plyo box for them to learn how to jump on top of box. Usually by then they would have learn the proper techniques, and can train harder to achieve further distances

THHTHH

Reaction score
I'm 12 and can only jump 225cm. But I guess prob you shld swing ur arms harder when launching N also look far when jumping

Acre45

Reaction score
I'm 12 and can only jump 225cm. But I guess prob you shld swing ur arms harder when launching N also look far when jumping

Why and how did you even dig this up šŸ˜‚ Standing broad jump is irrelevant this day and age haha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.