[Maylyn's Review ~ Networking] Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

squarepipe

Reaction score
I never use USG before, is there GUI for configuration or purely CLI? How does it compare to the latest Asus ax88?

Btw, how's the wireless performance on HD? Do u get good connection speed?

Thanks

The USG runs off the same controller softwate as the in wall AP. Basically if you use the unifi AP, unifi switch, and USG you will be able to configure everything form one interface.

Asus is a home router while the USG is a enterprise router used in businesses etc. Those 2 aren't even on the same league.

I used 2x unifi HD aps to cover 3 floors of a house and I can get 800-900Mbps tested with iperf everywhere in the house including the garden.

sequalancer

Reaction score
The USG runs off the same controller softwate as the in wall AP. Basically if you use the unifi AP, unifi switch, and USG you will be able to..

Many thanks for your value input. I will give it a try and let u know again if the implementation is successful.

Are u using singtel ont or onr? Singtel has been giving out onr for recontract n new subscriber. And their onr doesnt support bridging to our own router device.

Last edited:

coconutty

Reaction score
Hi, reviving an old thread to see if any pros here can help.

Recently got an Edgerouter X, but have problems connecting it directly to my M1 fibre. Tried to do the basic setup using wizard (WAN + 1 LAN), but it is unable to route the internet when connecting eth0 to the ONT. Set it on standard auto DHCP settings for WAN. The log only shows RX packets and zero TX. I have tried setting the LAN to use 192.168.3.XX addresses but still doesn't work. Have updated firmware to latest 1.10.XX

The ERX internet access works though if I do ONT -> current wireless router -> ERX router. ONT -> laptop direct also works i don't think there's mac filtering on the ONT end (though i am not sure how to access the ONT admin page).

Any idea what might be tripping me up?

My planned usage is to set it up as ONT -> ERX (as wired router) -> wireless APs + LAN.

Thanks in advance!

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, reviving an old thread to see if any pros here can help.

Recently got an Edgerouter X, but have problems connecting it directly to my M1 fibre. Tried to do the basic setup using wizard (WAN + 1 LAN), but it is unable to route the internet when connecting eth0 to the ONT. Set it on standard auto DHCP settings for WAN. The log only shows RX packets and zero TX. I have tried setting the LAN to use 192.168.3.XX addresses but still doesn't work. Have updated firmware to latest 1.10.XX

The ERX internet access works though if I do ONT -> current wireless router -> ERX router. ONT -> laptop direct also works i don't think there's mac filtering on the ONT end (though i am not sure how to access the ONT admin page).

Any idea what might be tripping me up?

My planned usage is to set it up as ONT -> ERX (as wired router) -> wireless APs + LAN.

Thanks in advance!
Clone your old router's WAN MAC address, or call M1 and ask them to release your WAN DHCP lease.

Desmond_

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Anyone setup their edgerouter with M1 fibre successfully?

I tried the following.

1)cloning mac address of the old router on WAN port
2)cloning mac address of the old router on WAN port + VLAN tagged 1103

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm it still didn't work. I get DNS not found error.
Hmm that's odd. Can post your WAN interface config?

I tried the following.

M1 doesn't do VLAN tagging, you should be able to just pull a public IP using DHCP on the WAN port. Have you tried getting M1 to release the DHCP lease instead of cloning your old router's MAC address?

Desmond_

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's odd. Can post your WAN interface config?

M1 doesn't do VLAN tagging, you should be able to just pull a public IP using DHCP on the WAN port. Have you tried getting M1 to release the DHCP lease instead of cloning your old router's MAC address?

I saw some post that it depend on the Huawei ONT.
If it is the white Huawei ONT, it will be VLAN tagged.
If it is the black Huawei ONT, no VLAN tagging.

Will call M1 again. Thanks

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw some post that it depend on the Huawei ONT.
If it is the white Huawei ONT, it will be VLAN tagged.
If it is the black Huawei ONT, no VLAN tagging.

Will call M1 again. Thanks
Fwiw I have the white HG8240H, no VLAN tagging on the WAN port.

Who?

Reaction score

I tried the following.

hi Desmond,

did you manage to get the edgerouter to work on M1?
I have tried edgerouter X also did not manage to connect on M1 network.
any idea?

giraffey

Reaction score
https://www.ui.com/edgemax/comparison/

It seems to me EdgeMax series routers are not the main focus of Ubiquiti.

Still is the ER-4 or ER-8 a good choice as a wired router for 1Gbps Internet access, including Singtel ONT users (VLAN required)?

I guess they are trying to get consumers and SMEs to go for their UniFi ecosystem. It can be quite "cool" to manage the entire network in a single controller. Except for their ER-X series, the ER-4, etc are routers that are superior (performance and throughput) compared to their UniFi series or the other consumer brands. It might be an overkill for a home network though, unless one really has tons of devices within the network.

On the setup with SingTel when vLAN is required, there is no official support for it. It is not a plug and play solution to make it work. One needs to configure it correctly, and perhaps with some trial and error might be required to get it working.

Not sure if this helps: https://community.ui.com/questions/...7#answer/f6a7b4b8-0844-4baa-8cf5-b7585f49d973
Some users seem to be able to manage to configure with with SingTel, some seem having challenges.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.