Any folks on Viewqwest fibre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poshua

Reaction score
I've recently subscribed to VQ based on the fact that they claimed they are the fastest BB provider. I'm currently on their 150mbps. As I haven't cancelled my M1 100mbps plan. I did a test and compared their download speeds on speedtest.net

Here's the result...

ViewQuest
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614724491.png

M1
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614728942.png

It seemed that I'm paying a premium price for the same speeds. I should have stick with M1 as I do not see any noticeable difference... Furthermore the M1 speed is only 100mbps.

The sales people also claimed that I can reach 100mbs but does not seemed to be true.

Could VQ people advice?

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it seems the average average is around 30-50mbps down/up.

jeremy_cec

Reaction score
I've recently subscribed to VQ based on the fact that they claimed they are the fastest BB provider. I'm currently on their 150mbps. As I haven't cancelled my M1 100mbps plan. I did a test and compared their download speeds on speedtest.net

Here's the result...

ViewQuest

M1

It seemed that I'm paying a premium price for the same speeds. I should have stick with M1 as I do not see any noticeable difference... Furthermore the M1 speed is only 100mbps.

The sales people also claimed that I can reach 100mbs but does not seemed to be true.

Could VQ people advice?

you are comparing wireless or cable speed?

NicBlais

Reaction score

Here's the result...

ViewQuest

M1

Could VQ people advice?

Hello!

Are you testing via wired or wireless connection? Also are you using your own router or connecting directly to the Zhone?

If you can please do a wired test directly to the Zhone using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable. If you are not getting your subscribed speed, please do call NOC so they can help you troubleshoot.

Please also keep in mind that speedtest.net, is not always the best measure of speed. You can try to grab a downloads with a download manager and see if you are able to saturate your connection (remember to convert MBps to Mbps by multiplying by 8 :D)

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If any of the newer VQ subscribers are not getting the subscribed speed when speedtest is performed against VQ or ST speedtest servers, something may be limiting the ability to reach full capability of the connect. Usually, the limiting factor would be your internal infrastructure such as WiFi, cabling, system, etc.

Provide more details about the entire environment would help others to help you. Insufficient information just hinders troubleshooting and unnecessary repeated posts just to "fish" the info out from you, the one seeking help.

Poshua

Reaction score
Hello!

Are you testing via wired or wireless connection? Also are you using your own router or connecting directly to the Zhone?

If you can please do a wired test directly to the Zhone using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable. If you are not getting your subscribed speed, please do call NOC so they can help you troubleshoot.

Please also keep in mind that speedtest.net, is not always the best measure of speed. You can try to grab a downloads with a download manager and see if you are able to saturate your connection (remember to convert MBps to Mbps by multiplying by 8 :D)

I'm using Zhone directly.

But the point is this. Whether it's wireless or wired it's not the concern because I am comparing M1 vs Viewquest (apple to apple both on wireless with M1 at a lower speed (100mbps)).

I don't see much difference in speed and I would have paid $39/mth instead of $65/mth.

Poshua

Reaction score
If any of the newer VQ subscribers are not getting the subscribed speed when speedtest is performed against VQ or ST speedtest servers, something may be limiting the ability to reach full capability of the connect. Usually, the limiting factor would be your internal infrastructure such as WiFi, cabling, system, etc.

Provide more details about the entire environment would help others to help you. Insufficient information just hinders troubleshooting and unnecessary repeated posts just to "fish" the info out from you, the one seeking help.

More surprisingly, this is the wired comparison between M1 and VQ.

ViewQuest
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614787668.png

M1
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614794116.png

Did I make the wrong switch? :s22:

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But the point is this. Whether it's wireless or wired it's not the concern because I am comparing M1 vs Viewquest (apple to apple both on wireless with M1 at a lower speed (100mbps)).

I don't see much difference in speed and I would have paid $39/mth instead of $65/mth.

Before you jump to conclusion, what Nic is trying to do is determine some background of your setup in order to help determine possible causes of the lower than normal speed.

VQ connections definitely can hit the subscribed plan's speed. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong somewhere and to resolve, need to determine that.

Just like a friend of mine who keep complain why VQ so slow and speedtest shows 9+Mbps only. In the end, it is his LAN cable (despite Cat6 but is a renovation firm self-crimpled one) that is causing the limitation. I had to make a trip down just to spend 30 mins trying to figure out what the hell is wrong. And guess what? Finally realized that his gaming PC is showing only a 10Mbps LAN connection when it's supposed to be able to connect at 1Gbps. Replace that stupid cable with another factory-made Cat6 cable and wola... speed problem solved!!!

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More surprisingly, this is the wired comparison between M1 and VQ.

ViewQuest
2614787668.png

M1
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614794116.png

Did I make the wrong switch? :s22:

Hmmm... Which speed test server did you tested against? VQ or ST?

The VQ result is definitely not right. 37ms??? That looks more like a wireless connection instead of a wired connection.

antiochguy

Reaction score

Hi Poshua

I think the point you are making is valid. Anyone planning on just use wireless connection should just stay with the cheapest plan possible that is limited by wireless networks. No point paying for the 100-200mbps fiber connections what wireless cannot utilize. You will not be able to achieve it.

But, on the other hand, if you will share with the group your setup, they might be able to help you fine tune your system to achieve the given speed.

I started out like you and this group of people (and those on forum.fibernet.sg) helped me improved performance. A bit of effort goes a long way.

Hope you end up enjoying the service you paid for.:)

Poshua

Reaction score
Before you jump to conclusion, what Nic is trying to do is determine some background of your setup in order to help determine possible causes of the lower than normal speed.

VQ connections definitely can hit the subscribed plan's speed. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong somewhere and to resolve, need to determine that.

Just like a friend of mine who keep complain why VQ so slow and speedtest shows 9+Mbps only. In the end, it is his LAN cable (despite Cat6 but is a renovation firm self-crimpled one) that is causing the limitation. I had to make a trip down just to spend 30 mins trying to figure out what the hell is wrong. And guess what? Finally realized that his gaming PC is showing only a 10Mbps LAN connection when it's supposed to be able to connect at 1Gbps. Replace that stupid cable with another factory-made Cat6 cable and wola... speed problem solved!!!

I can see your above problem but this is different. My comparison is with ALL things equal I'm comparing M1 vs ViewQuest as I have not unsubscribed M1's service yet. I'm also not saying that VQ speed is slow. Reaching around 80mbps on a wired connection is decent.

What I'm comparing is for $65/mth, I'm getting a speed that is slower than $39/mth. Kinda disappointed if you know what I mean.

** my test is using the same cable, laptop, modems given by the 2 isp in the same environment.

Poshua

Reaction score

The VQ result is definitely not right. 37ms??? That looks more like a wireless connection instead of a wired connection.

This is a wired comparison. I'm using VQ server for VQ and M1 for M1.

antiochguy

Reaction score

Poshua,

Are you using Firefox or IE to run speedtest?

I find running on different browsers give me different results. Take a look at my results just a minute ago. I am using viewqwest.speedtest.net:

IE:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614840410.png

Firefox:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2614841598.png

Not sure why but you should try and see.

All the best.

jeremy_cec

Reaction score
I can see your above problem but this is different. My comparison is with ALL things equal I'm comparing M1 vs ViewQuest as I have not unsubscribed M1's service yet. I'm also not saying that VQ speed is slow. Reaching around 80mbps on a wired connection is decent.

What I'm comparing is for $65/mth, I'm getting a speed that is slower than $39/mth. Kinda disappointed if you know what I mean.

** my test is using the same cable, laptop, modems given by the 2 isp in the same environment.

not sure what happen to your setup. I'm having the same plan as you but i can reach a faster speed.. :)
2614873003.png

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you are paying the ISP for service, I think you should allow the ISP time to investigate your issue first. Only if they did all they said they can for you, should you make a conclusion.

You taste apple A from shop A and it is so so. You then take a bite of apple B from shop B which the fruit seller said is the sweetest and found it rotten. Does that mean that shop B sells rotten apples? You may be understandably angry, and feel somewhat cheated, but talk to the fruit seller first, let him find out what is wrong for you; after all you paid him. If you somehow got a bad apple, let him offer to change it for you.

NicBlais

Reaction score

Hi Poshua,

For a wired connection straight to the Zhone this is indeed quite slow. Could you give our NOC a call at 6723 8100 (option 3) or drop them an e-mail at noc@viewqwest.com so they can help troubleshoot your connection? Our technical support is open 24/7 so please don't be shy to ask for help any time :)

I understand it must be frustrating to see yourself paying more for a service that is seemingly performing just as good as a cheaper one. I'm confident though that once we get to the bottom of this, you'll see be happy you signed on with us.

Have you tried downloading or torrenting btw? You should see a very noticeable difference between M1 and our connection there ;)

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So sorry about this - there's been a slight delay in the shipment which has forced us to push back some installations.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused by this - rest assured that we are doing everything possible to get the new stock ASAP so we can your connection up and running.

9 days (was told earliest 12 april) is not really consider slight delay. am waiting for ur staff to call/email me back as she says will do that by today.

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I understand your points too. What I am trying to establish is that on wired, u should be able to achieve beyond 150Mbps for the VQ connection and not 80+Mbps which is abnormal.

The ping at 37ms is really weird for a wired connection on fiber broadband, even if u test against the poorest speedtest server in SG.

Last edited:

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is a wired comparison. I'm using VQ server for VQ and M1 for M1.

I am puzzled. There is no M1 speedtest.net server. There are only 5 speedtest.net servers in SG:

1. ViewQwest
2. SingTel
3. SGIX
4. NewMedia Express
5. Telin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.