Any Starhub user here using the new EA8100 router?

squarepipe

Reaction score
I mean the Linksys CSO was utterly useless. Spoke to a different one a few days later who was only marginally less useless.

Aiyo its a consumer level router so you can't expect any support where the fault is not yours but a buggy firmware. Maybe if you dunno how to configure the router or got question on how to use then the cso may be of help.

Speaking of consumer grade routers, my previous job has HP APs. Once we had a problem, we called the cso and he sent 2 technicians down on the same day. They found out that there was a bug in the firmware and rolled back to the previous version. Later that day HP released a new firmware that fix the bug we experienced.

For a consumer support you can wait long long for them to fix the issue especially if its a faulty firmware or hardware.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aiyo its a consumer level router so you can't expect any support where the fault is not yours but a buggy firmware. Maybe if you dunno how to configure the router or got question on how to use then the cso may be of help.

Speaking of consumer grade routers, my previous job has HP APs. Once we had a problem, we called the cso and he sent 2 technicians down on the same day. They found out that there was a bug in the firmware and rolled back to the previous version. Later that day HP released a new firmware that fix the bug we experienced.

For a consumer support you can wait long long for them to fix the issue especially if its a faulty firmware or hardware.
Yes.
When i feedback to ASUS about firmware issue, it take about 2 - 4 weeks to fix.

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if looking for 2nd hand bnib, this EA8100 router or asus ac1200g+ is better??

assuming the asus one is slightly cheaper than the linksys ea8100...

thanks.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
if looking for 2nd hand bnib, this EA8100 router or asus ac1200g+ is better??

assuming the asus one is slightly cheaper than the linksys ea8100...

thanks.

EA8100 is much better because it's AC2600? if the difference in price is slight i'd go for EA8100

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
EA8100 is much better because it's AC2600? if the difference in price is slight i'd go for EA8100

I'm not sure, just wanna know abt the overall performance of both routers...

Actually both routers also got many complaints...

But I care more for wifi coverage... my current Asus RT-56U, the 2.4GHz range is as short as 5GHz... when 5GHz out of range, phone will use 4G data instead of 2.4GHz wifi...

I just wanna replace the router at same location, don't want to put extra piece of hardware at other place...

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But I care more for wifi coverage... my current Asus RT-56U, the 2.4GHz range is as short as 5GHz... when 5GHz out of range, phone will use 4G data instead of 2.4GHz wifi...

I just wanna replace the router at same location, don't want to put extra piece of hardware at other place...

I'm using EA8100, if you are a power user that like to play with the setting, this is not a router for you.

It just provided a very basic setting.

Due to it come with 4 antenna, the wifi coverage is slightly better than the d-link 868L. Will not be able to comment with Asus router due to I never used before.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can consider google wifi.

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
i was using the Asus AC87U and placed that router in my living room TV console. My master bedroom where i sleep on my bed(which is a corner) do not have signal at all, even if it manages to connect to the Asus AC87U, its the lowest bar and no internet connectivity.

I change to the Linksys WRT32X gaming router...same or even worse..

I gotten the Linksys EA8100 and amazingly since it was on a different channel frequency, i have 3 bars and good internet connectivity (youtube streaming was seamless, no interruptions) Surprisingly this router, at the dead corner zone in my house have good wifi comparing to more expensive routers.

To those who has bad remarks on this router, seems i have only praises haha... previously i have to have 1 main router in my living room and another router in my master bedroom, now i can just switch on this router in my living room and it serves my whole house. really surprising. seems to have a stronger range or maybe it can punch through 2 walls much better. i am using 5ghz and the 5ghz spectrum normally has a smaller range than 2.4ghz but realise once DFS feature is on, my 5ghz has the better range compared to the 2.4ghz on this router. I believe is due to being on the DFS frequency range that is less congested.

Last edited:

dest86

Reaction score
this router big upgrade wifi range from the old starhub old router 868 ? btw i am not a starhub user, so will it affect my usage ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this router big upgrade wifi range from the old starhub old router 868 ? btw i am not a starhub user, so will it affect my usage ?

Not sure about EA8100 but the wireless coverage of my StarHub given DIR-865L has pretty good WiFi coverage and I am happy with it since early 2015. DIR-868L is kind of an upgrade to DIR-865L.

Edit: you can refer to the answer before , EA8100 will only be slightly better than DIR-868L.

I'm using EA8100, if you are a power user that like to play with the setting, this is not a router for you.

It just provided a very basic setting.

Due to it come with 4 antenna, the wifi coverage is slightly better than the d-link 868L. Will not be able to comment with Asus router due to I never used before.

Last edited:

kutysam

Reaction score
Personally, i feel dir-868l is kinda the best router so far from starhub..

Btw, anyone here can help me verify if ea8100 supports DLNA + exFAT hdd?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
The internet is good as long as you use 3rd Paryt DNS.
If you use their Starhub DNS, it will be choppy and lag, sometimes even totally unusable.
You can call their CSO, but be prepared for the long wait. Even if you managed to get thru, they are totally not flexible. You can't feel even single a bit of human touch. Sometime you may wonder the other end of the line it is a robot. Enough said. You can try your luck.

This is the latest speed I get. Beyond 1 Gbps
Adtxjn6.jpg

Last edited:

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Looking into moving my m1 to Starhub. How is Starhub performance? Most of ppl around me told me M1 is way better than Starhub.

I feel m1 is better. I used m1 for so long and now with starhub and am regretting

I still get intermittent lagging of Internet but am not sure if it's due to router or starhub. Just now, my carousell app and viu app couldn't load while I was still able to surf Internet

So now using my old Asus to try

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have this router. However, for whatever reason, the signal seems to be weaker than the Singtel Aztech elite router. Despite being MIMO and DFS support. How come?

Vionratio

Reaction score
The internet is good as long as you use 3rd Paryt DNS.
If you use their Starhub DNS, it will be choppy and lag, sometimes even totally unusable.
You can call their CSO, but be prepared for the long wait. Even if you managed to get thru, they are totally not flexible. You can't feel even single a bit of human touch. Sometime you may wonder the other end of the line it is a robot. Enough said. You can try your luck.

This is the latest speed I get. Beyond 1 Gbps
Adtxjn6.jpg

Wow, awesome! May i knOw wad wifi router u currently using? Is it possible to request waiver for relocation fee from starhub?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.