BEWARE ASUS RT-AC88U

winston.l

Reaction score
Really frustrated with ASUS :(

I recently bought an RT-AC88U in september 2018

Last week, it started acting up with the 2.4Ghz channel dropping constantly

On monday, I went down to Avertek to get it replaced with a new router

It worked well for 2-3 days and now the 2.4Ghz channel is dead again

The 2.4Ghz LED light on the router does not light up and i cannot detect the 2.4Ghz SSID

I called ASUS Call centre and it's ridiculous they keep expecting me to go down to the service centre AGAIN to change a defective product

There's clearly something up with the ASUS quality control when the replacement router fails within 2-3 days.

Beware!!!

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really frustrated with ASUS :(

I recently bought an RT-AC88U in september 2018

Last week, it started acting up with the 2.4Ghz channel dropping constantly

On monday, I went down to Avertek to get it replaced with a new router

It worked well for 2-3 days and now the 2.4Ghz channel is dead again

The 2.4Ghz LED light on the router does not light up and i cannot detect the 2.4Ghz SSID

I called ASUS Call centre and it's ridiculous they keep expecting me to go down to the service centre AGAIN to change a defective product

There's clearly something up with the ASUS quality control when the replacement router fails within 2-3 days.

Beware!!!

I have been using this router for 2 years and at first my router also changed 2 times. After changing second time, it is ok. Nothing serious. Sometime it is luck.

winston.l

Reaction score
I don't think it's normal for a WiFi router to not work and require RMA often more then once.
exactly. the replacement died in 2-3 days...it's just crazy

any suggestions what I should do? can't take any leave to go down to avertek to get it changed :/

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
exactly. the replacement died in 2-3 days...it's just crazy

any suggestions what I should do? can't take any leave to go down to avertek to get it changed :/

Ask your family or friend to do it for you and sell it after that.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask your family or friend to do it for you and sell it after that.
Many other routers also can have problem.
Yes can ask family member or friend or wife to go down. Why take leave to go down? Just go down during lunch time to change as long as it is not ASUS lunch time. They are fast in changing. They are open till 6pm and some job 4pm or 5pm already off duty. Just go down.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if moi didn’t know you so well moi would think you’re some Asus shill.
The bad about them is not working on Sat. Many other routers also can have problem. I changed a few time too. Beside router other devices also can have problem. Honestly for me it is easy, just use mouth to say and things get done.

Last edited:

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't if is AC8xU series router got problem, my first router is AC87U, after receiving it, keep having wifi connection drop out often, service centre can't resolve, end up replace it with AC3200, no problems since.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't if is AC8xU series router got problem, my first router is AC87U, after receiving it, keep having wifi connection drop out often, service centre can't resolve, end up replace it with AC3200, no problems since.

It will be best if they work on Sat. I even worst, Service Centre ask me to buy AC88U.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be best if they work on Sat. I even worst, Service Centre ask me to buy AC88U.

Seeing the AX88U, looks good but nothing is supported yet and as you mentioned no WPA3, looking at the series of the router, i fear liao, one bad experience with eight series.

ayuluv

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I had RMA twice too. But honestly the router is not bad

squarepipe

Reaction score
Heng I picked the Netgear Nighthawk X6 when I bought my Singtel Unlimited Fibre!!!! Used it for 4 years now, still going damn strong!

Does Netgear still update that router? My 10 year old pfsense router still being updated.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was using AC88U for about 3 years. Had to RMA once only. Prior & after that no issues.

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've had the router for 2 years alr. No issue as far as I'm concerned. Set up the first time and let it there ever since. Occasionally login to web UI to check for firmware update nia.

My opinion is that if they are willing to RMA the unit instead of trying to taiji away the problem, buay pai already.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.