Clarification on access point

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im intending to connect my switch to the ONT in my utility closet So i have wired access in my rooms & then connect my router (set as access point) to provide better wifi coverage to my master bedroom.

Initially i thought of placing the router in my living room however it seems quite far from the bedrooms esp my master bedroom. So im now thinking of putting the router in one of my bedrooms instead so its more centralised.

Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is right. Since my router is set as access point & NOT as repeater, there is no worries about the wifi from the ONT being weak right? I fact if i recall correctly i was told to turn off the ONT's wifi to avoid mixed signals & just use the router's wifi. Is this right?

Lastly, pls bare with a networking noob, but since my router is standalone & not connect to my iMac, how do i check if there are firmware updates & then update?

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u want a switch for connecting ONT u need a smart/managed switch not an unmanaged switch.

well yes u can put the router anywhere u like or add another router.

yes if set as AP u dun have to worry about the speed and signal.

as for your ONT is which ISP? M1, VQ, MR?

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u want a switch for connecting ONT u need a smart/managed switch not an unmanaged switch.

well yes u can put the router anywhere u like or add another router.

yes if set as AP u dun have to worry about the speed and signal.

as for your ONT is which ISP? M1, VQ, MR?
Singtel. U mean i cant connect an unmanaged switch to ONT? I just want the RJ45 ports in my rooms to connect to ONT. And maybe the netgear arlo cctv. Oh & of course the router lah.

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Singtel. U mean i cant connect an unmanaged switch to ONT? I just want the RJ45 ports in my rooms to connect to ONT. And maybe the netgear arlo cctv. Oh & of course the router lah.

The ONT only issue you 1 Public Address.

So you put a switch after ONT sure have problem.

Some more you on Singtel best is place the singtel router AFTER ONT.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The ONT only issue you 1 Public Address.

So you put a switch after ONT sure have problem.

Some more you on Singtel best is place the singtel router AFTER ONT.
Thanks for clarifying. Im on VQ now but plan to jump to Singnet. VQ ONT & router is same device so i tot is same for singnet.

So in other words TP to ONT, ONT to singnet router (with wifi signal turned off) & then router to unmanaged switch. There after whatever device or RJ45 port will connect to the switch & that includes my Asus router set as access point. Is that correct?

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. Im on VQ now but plan to jump to Singnet. VQ ONT & router is same device so i tot is same for singnet.

So in other words TP to ONT, ONT to singnet router (with wifi signal turned off) & then router to unmanaged switch. There after whatever device or RJ45 port will connect to the switch & that includes my Asus router set as access point. Is that correct?

I think there is no issue with this setup.

But hor, for the switch part, not sure to use unmanage or smart switch cause of the vlan thing.

Sent from using GAGT

Apex

Reaction score
I think there is no issue with this setup.

But hor, for the switch part, not sure to use unmanage or smart switch cause of the vlan thing.

Sent from using GAGT

I think any traffic out of the singtel router is already UNTAG (no VLAN liao). So for internet derrickgoh just need to connnect the hisExtra switch to the router.

That Should work

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes that's correct.

Vq uses an ONR instead of an ONT. So it's different from Singtel. Like what others mentioned, your switch has to be behind the router in order to work..

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way, since my Asus router will be set as access point and standalone i.e. not connected to my iMac unlike the Singnet router, how would I check and update firmware on it?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way, since my Asus router will be set as access point and standalone i.e. not connected to my iMac unlike the Singnet router, how would I check and update firmware on it?

u have to directly connect from your pc to the router to check for software using their web browser ip.

den from there u can check everything u need to see. but update of firmware best go to asus website to look for it and mannually update it.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u have to directly connect from your pc to the router to check for software using their web browser ip.

den from there u can check everything u need to see. but update of firmware best go to asus website to look for it and mannually update it.
Ok but even if I download the latest firmware from Asus website, I will still need to connect the Asus router to my iMac right? Its not like my LG robot vacuum where I can save the firmware on thumb drive, reboot the vacuum and it will auto update.

That being the case, since an iMac connection is required anyway, would it not be easier just to access the firmware update via web browser IP?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok but even if I download the latest firmware from Asus website, I will still need to connect the Asus router to my iMac right? Its not like my LG robot vacuum where I can save the firmware on thumb drive, reboot the vacuum and it will auto update.

That being the case, since an iMac connection is required anyway, would it not be easier just to access the firmware update via web browser IP?

easy say than done how are u going to do that to access to the router main page to update the firmware? :s22:

through wireless or wired from pc to the router will still able to let u access to router firmware page to make the update.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.