Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can i check in order for fibre tv to work i need to subscribe starhub fibre also?
Cheapest is the homehub plus is at $70 per mth?
I am currently tied up with m1 fibre broadband contract
If i just wan baby tv channel, sibei not worth right?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Now Starhub have the standalone Fibre TV with the link access fee $15 waived. You pay the same price for their fibre TV.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul Lee,

Apologies for our delayed reply.

We received confirmation from our TV product team that we can issue the Wireless Home Bridge (WHB) for Singtel TV standalone customers who are not subscribed to Singtel Broadband.

However, do note that WHB is suitable in typical HDB premises and is still subject to assessment by our field engineers because homes can vary quite significantly in terms of layout and build.

Do PM us with further details including your Singtel ID if you would like us to address any issue you are facing with Singtel TV.

Thanks.

Thank you for your confirmation. Really useful to know.

I am sure those who are thinking of switching to Singtel TV but are not Singtel BB customers (like me) will be glad to hear about this option.

So I am guessing that the earlier report about not being able to use WHB was due to a physical rather technical constraint.

While I currently do not have any plans to subscribe to Singtel TV, I may reconsider my options at a later time.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your confirmation. Really useful to know.

I am sure those who are thinking of switching to Singtel TV but are not Singtel BB customers (like me) will be glad to hear about this option.

So I am guessing that the earlier report about not being able to use WHB was due to a physical rather technical constraint.

While I currently do not have any plans to subscribe to Singtel TV, I may reconsider my options at a later time.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Better to use cable. For Starhub, it is using cable connection for TV.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Don't think there is or will be any "better" promo coming up since the cut off date is only around 1 month away. If anything the current offer is worse off. My brother in law switched over back in march and was offered free 6mths homehub plan and additional free google mini and $30 robinsons voucher. 2 weeks ago i went down to SH shops to ask and was offered the same free 6mths homehub plan but no more google mini or voucher freebie. Some people mentioned they gotten 9 months free so it might be a targeted promo for certain subscribers. You will have to go and ask what specific offers they have for you.

actually the cable to fibre package dateline is 31 Mar 2019 according to the mailer and SMS update. so if u convert before 31 Mar u get everything as stated in your promo mailer (with google mini free).
after 1 apr, u can still sign up for the conversion package but no more google mini free, and u can choose the new Entertainment Pass. so after 1 apr the package is slightly different but SH didn't update us what are the diff.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Seems like this one needs LAN cable point in the bedroom which I do not have. Guess it is farewell starhub tv. Thanks!

EOCC adapter is to re-use your existing cable point. no wiring/trunking needed.
the only requirement is that your Fibre Point must be near one of the cable point.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SingTel TV is good, you can keep using M1 and then subscribe to one of the starter packs which has kids channels, for example Family Learning or Family Favourites, Baby TV and Baby TV on demand are included, S$23.90 per month.

http://www.singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-learning

http://www.singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-favourites

I have subscription to Family Favourites pack now for the kids, previously I had more expensive Family Starter pack.

It is said that Starhub can waive the link access fee as a promotion. But SingTel outright does not charge you if you subscribe to SingTel TV without subscribing to Singtel Fibre.

Agree lol, Starhub waive the link access fee but you still need to pay when time come :( Singtel TV no promo leh, last hope for next month promo.

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a call to starhub and you can pretty much understand why their share price is plunging.

For existing subscribers not taking up broadband service, there is basically no offers to retain you, you can sign up to these new entertainment plans or fxxx off. They are finally waiving off the fiber link access for non-broadband subscribers, probably because they are losing too many subscribers and losing marketing appeal to advertiser.

Walkzzz

Reaction score
I just changed my SH cable to Fibre TV and it has been such a hassle!

While the change was fairly straight forward.. I had to compromise on the internet speed as I have an existing plan with viewqwest and my Orbi router was originally placed in the living room and extended with an Orbi satellite in the bedroom.

Now, because of this new fibre tv.. I had to shift the Orbi router into the utility box area because the fibre tv has to use the data point in the living room. Hence, my wifi speed dropped drastically as it is now hidden inside the utility box.

Speed is compromised and I'm contemplating whether to get another satellite to boost the signal to the mbr.

Anyone having the same issue of affected speed after you shift your router to accommodate the fibre tv?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just changed my SH cable to Fibre TV and it has been such a hassle!

While the change was fairly straight forward.. I had to compromise on the internet speed as I have an existing plan with viewqwest and my Orbi router was originally placed in the living room and extended with an Orbi satellite in the bedroom.

Now, because of this new fibre tv.. I had to shift the Orbi router into the utility box area because the fibre tv has to use the data point in the living room. Hence, my wifi speed dropped drastically as it is now hidden inside the utility box.

Speed is compromised and I'm contemplating whether to get another satellite to boost the signal to the mbr.

Anyone having the same issue of affected speed after you shift your router to accommodate the fibre tv?

Just do another data point for the fibre TV.

ewng

Reaction score
SingTel TV is good, you can keep using M1 and then subscribe to one of the starter packs which has kids channels, for example Family Learning or Family Favourites, Baby TV and Baby TV on demand are included, S$23.90 per month.

http://www.singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-learning

http://www.singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-favourites

I have subscription to Family Favourites pack now for the kids, previously I had more expensive Family Starter pack.

It is said that Starhub can waive the link access fee as a promotion. But SingTel outright does not charge you if you subscribe to SingTel TV without subscribing to Singtel Fibre.

Currently I’m M1 fiber user and the contract will expire in August 2021. Is it possible that I sign up StarHub or SingTel tv where the setup box hook up to M1 ont directly instead of using the 2nd fiber port just for the fiber tv?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently I’m M1 fiber user and the contract will expire in August 2021. Is it possible that I sign up StarHub or SingTel tv where the setup box hook up to M1 ont directly instead of using the 2nd fiber port just for the fiber tv?

I think you mean M1 router and not M1 ONT, right.?

Not for Fibre TV.

Why do you not want to use the 2nd Fibre port?

If you really want to do that, you can consider Starhub Go Streaming Box if it fits your needs.

https://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/entertainment/starhub-go-streaming-box.html

Last edited:

wheelloader

Master Member
Reaction score
Singtel offering 2 years free fibre broadband if sign up their Singtel tv. Not bad man. Looks like it's time to make the switch.

Starfug can go fly kite with their useless 3 months $0 promotion. So much for customer retention

ewng

Reaction score
I think you mean M1 router and not M1 ONT, right.?

Not for Fibre TV.

Why do you not want to use the 2nd Fibre port?

If you really want to do that, you can consider Starhub Go Streaming Box if it fits your needs.

https://www.starhub.com/personal/for-your-home/entertainment/starhub-go-streaming-box.html

Ya, I mean using M1 router. I don’t want to use 2 fiber ports is as my tv console does not have space for extra ont.

As for the StarHub GO, it seems like a good option but too bad it does not offer the live tv channels that I want :(

montosun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel offering 2 years free fibre broadband if sign up their Singtel tv. Not bad man. Looks like it's time to make the switch.

Starfug can go fly kite with their useless 3 months $0 promotion. So much for customer retention

is this the offer they gave when you went into the singtel shop with a starhub tv bill?

Smurfy

Reaction score
Close to 1 year liao after changing from cable to fibre TV.

My verdict: It sux lar as compare to cable.

1. Extra wiring (That's before they come up with EOC)

2. Sucky O/S for STB ,slow booting up and the prog guide update and scrolling slow as compare to cable STB.

3. Getting Error 5014 than have to call in so they can do a reset.This turn me off the most.Not 1 or 2 time wor ,3 time on 1 of the 2 STB i got that they change it to another new one.Total it 4 time liao i have to call in for the same 5014 error within this period.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Close to 1 year liao after changing from cable to fibre TV.

My verdict: It sux lar as compare to cable.

1. Extra wiring (That's before they come up with EOC)

2. Sucky O/S for STB ,slow booting up and the prog guide update and scrolling slow as compare to cable STB.

3. Getting Error 5014 than have to call in so they can do a reset.This turn me off the most.Not 1 or 2 time wor ,3 time on 1 of the 2 STB i got that they change it to another new one.Total it 4 time liao i have to call in for the same 5014 error within this period.

STB slow boot up may be a faulty box. I have no problem at all. It look like something is wrong with your home network. I am totally no problem at all.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, I mean using M1 router. I don’t want to use 2 fiber ports is as my tv console does not have space for extra ont.

As for the StarHub GO, it seems like a good option but too bad it does not offer the live tv channels that I want :(
ONT will not really take up space because u can put one on top of the other just like me.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Starhub home hub is 6 months $0 and it allow user to use own Router.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.