HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #2506
Arch-Supremacy Member

yup I was quite fed up they insisted on returning the remote and plug as i ask what if i pay for remote and the guy said that will be $80 ?! for a 8 years old remote ?
That is their rule, even for upgrade from cable TV to Fibre TV, they take away every thing for the cable TV and then they take out their Fibre TV thing to install.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #2507
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Yes darkmatt is right, you can sign up for Singtel TV as a standalone service, without Singtel fibre broadband, without paying a $15.00 fibre link access fee.

Anyone who is interested to have our sales colleagues contact you with an offer for consideration can PM us your name and contact number, and we will be in touch.

We are glad to have helped a number of users on this thread receive and sign up for Singtel TV and fibre.

Thanks.
Do you have tvb from singtel TV?
odyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #2508

Do you have tvb from singtel TV?
SingTel TV does not have TVB.

But you can subscribe to TVB Anywhere+ directly through TVB Singapore, at S$5.98 per month. Now it also has TV version (for paid customer only) which is compatible with TV boxes like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

https://plus.tvbanywhere.com/
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #2509
Master Member

That is their rule, even for upgrade from cable TV to Fibre TV, they take away every thing for the cable TV and then they take out their Fibre TV thing to install.
This is sooooooooooooooo not true. Had my installation done earlier in the day and the only thing they switched out and collect back is the set top box. The power adapter and remote control is compatible between the old and new box so have to use back. For internet they never even bother to collect back the dlink modem.

Last edited by ferocity; 16-05-2019 at 01:43 AM..
ferocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #2510
Arch-Supremacy Member

This is sooooooooooooooo not true. Had my installation done earlier in the day and the only thing they switched out and collect back is the set top box. The power adapter and remote control is compatible between the old and new box so have to use back. For internet they never even bother to collect back the dlink modem.
Such saying is wrong, for internet nothing they want but for TV everything they want one to one exchange. They take away your TV box then they issue a new box. If your old cable TV box is missing, say you throw away, no way they can issue the new Fibre TV box without you paying for it. The power adaptor is compatible so some SH people may not swap for you and ask u to use back. Some installation people is on the ball, they swap every thing for me. If you throw away the old power adaptor you will have no old power adapter to swap with their new device. In other word if you throw away the device or power adaptor or other part, you have to pay for sure. The cable TV box can be refurbished for re-use for fibre TV. You can always call up starhub CSO to confirm whether it is true or not.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 16-05-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #2511

Such saying is wrong, for internet nothing they want but for TV everything they want one to one exchange. They take away your TV box then they issue a new box. If your old cable TV box is missing, say you throw away, no way they can issue the new Fibre TV box without you paying for it. The power adaptor is compatible so some SH people may not swap for you and ask u to use back. Some installation people is on the ball, they swap every thing for me. If you throw away the old power adaptor you will have no old power adapter to swap with their new device. In other word if you throw away the device or power adaptor or other part, you have to pay for sure. The cable TV box can be refurbished for re-use for fibre TV. You can always call up starhub CSO to confirm whether it is true or not.
Yes, agreed, remote had to be returned. Not sure on power adapter, haven't switch over to fibre yet

On the box one side actually written " Do not Deface", and opposite side "Box to be returned to starhub logistic center", so, its end-user's fault not to read this, and to throw it away
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #2512
Master Member

Like i said, unlike what you implied that they wholesale change every single component, i am telling you for my case they only changed the set top box. Even if they were to take back the power adapters and remote controls, what other use or purpose do they have for it?

Of cos needless to say if customer loses the set top box they should be liable to pay the telco a sum in compensation. But what for you want to impose a large fee on stuff like remote control and power adaptors when customers are unable to return them? If they can write off gateway modems and dont require customers to return them, why cant they do the same for remote controls and power adapters? Yes, rules are rules but many things calls for common sense and flexibility in application of the rules.
Old 16-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #2513

Yesterday the tech guy came and set up the TV box and changed the router (He was late because the previous house took too long). I see him quite shag, because he is a Malay and he was fasting, and he told us that he has been out running the whole day. I could only offer him a pakcket of drink ask him to drink after break fast, and also offered him to help him set up the TV (it was quite straightforward) while he set up the router.

And now I know how the EOCC looks like, very small device and comes in a pair.

After everything, he told me that my house was the fastest the entire day, I am the only one who helped him set up the equipment lol

Now the TV is up and running.

And also, when I returned the old equipment, it was in full package and working condition, including the remote.

TWICE 트와이스

TVB Dramas | List of Dramas | PL 2018/19 Fixtures | TWICE Fanclub | S.H.E Fanclub
\_(ツ)_/
Ottoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #2514

Yes, agreed, remote had to be returned. Not sure on power adapter, haven't switch over to fibre yet

On the box one side actually written " Do not Deface", and opposite side "Box to be returned to starhub logistic center", so, its end-user's fault not to read this, and to throw it away
human hard to please... last time starhub sold their hd stb and hubstation to user but alot ppl complain it is exp and why not go back to rental easier at least the box spoil its still support from them then they switch back to rental scheme but still got ppl complain ask why need to return after many years
Old 16-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #2515
Master Member

If you have been subbing to their tv package for at least 7-8 years, how much have you paid in monthly rental for the set top box already? Still have to gei gao on things like remote and power adaptor?
Old 16-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #2516
High Supremacy Member

When you RENT something, it doesn't belong to you. You need to return it. Unless you are told otherwise.

Like Singtel tells you after unsubscribing from Singtel broadband you keep the ONR and router. If they don't tell you, its understood that something you RENT must be returned. When unsure, ASK.

Sorry but this is clearly a case of self pwn, no one else to blame.
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #2517

When you RENT something, it doesn't belong to you. You need to return it. Unless you are told otherwise.

Like Singtel tells you after unsubscribing from Singtel broadband you keep the ONR and router. If they don't tell you, its understood that something you RENT must be returned. When unsure, ASK.

Sorry but this is clearly a case of self pwn, no one else to blame.
For SingTel I think you can keep the ONT and Wireless Router, but not the ONR.
Old 16-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #2518

And now I know how the EOCC looks like, very small device and comes in a pair.
u use USB power or power adapter for your EOCC slave?

btw your EOCC comes in pair most probably because u only have 1 STB. if u have multiple STBs, just need 1 EOCC master and multiple slaves.
Old 16-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #2519

For SingTel I think you can keep the ONT and Wireless Router, but not the ONR.
what about starhub ONT? is it on rental?
Old 16-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #2520

what about starhub ONT? is it on rental?
You can keep the Starhub ONT and router as per what I read in this forum.

Edit to add:
But the service terms and conditions seem to suggest otherwise for the ONT because of the word used is "lease".

"Optical Network Terminal: An Optical Network Terminal is required to access the Fibre Home Broadband Service. You will be required to lease an Optical Network Terminal from us or the relevant service provider prior to the installation of your Equipment. "

Also a 2017 Starhub forum post.
https://community.starhub.com/t5/Fib...rn/td-p/149050

So it is better to check with Starhub again.

I did not need to return my Motorola Cable Modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless Router when I switched from Starhub Cable broadband to SingTel Fibre. But that was many years ago.

Last edited by xiaofan; 16-05-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.