HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #961

Thanks.

Keep it as long as you could.

Btw i am currently using the non samsung HD interactive box on cable tv.
romeo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #962
Arch-Supremacy Member

I've decided to stick to Starhub Android box and get whatever ISP that offers the best broadband deal coming June. I prefer 1 year contract than to get stuck for 2.
1 year contract will cost more.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #963
Master Member

I too just switched over from Starhub coaxial to Fibre TV.

Have to agree that picture quality is lower. Compression rate seems to be quite high, resulting in loss of fine details with too much image smoothing.

I think starhub needs to improve their video compression algorithums for the Fibre TV. No reason for fibre tv image to be inferior to coaxial
Is it the same with Singtel Fibre TV?
naveen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #964
Arch-Supremacy Member

1 year contract will cost more.
Yeah but because shifting house soon and need to pay relocation charge for fibre if still under contract. No charge if I take up fibre in my new place so for now only need BB as I've migrated to Starhub Android box late last year.

BTW, how much are you guys paying for Starhub Fibre TV? I'm paying $25 per month for Starhub Android box with 2 packages and I got to watch more channels that I want compared to cable TV.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #965
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh wow, didn't know it was so bad. The Starhub Android box on the other hand is pretty good (looks decent on my 60" TV).
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #966
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh wow, didn't know it was so bad. The Starhub Android box on the other hand is pretty good (looks decent on my 60" TV).
I have both of them; fibre TV and streaming box. Both ok for me.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #967
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have both of them; fibre TV and streaming box. Both ok for me.
hi, may i know what is the difference between fibre TV and streaming box. im still on cable and will be forced to switched soon but not sure which plan is better for my parents.
montosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #968
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi, may i know what is the difference between fibre TV and streaming box. im still on cable and will be forced to switched soon but not sure which plan is better for my parents.
For fibre TV, you get to watch all the original channels that you have now including free to air mediacorp. For streaming box you only watch some of the channels under their family GO pack and GO Select pack. Fibre TV is better as it is same as Cable TV.
montosun likes this.
Old 22-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #969

Recently completed the move from Starhub cable tv to Fibre TV. As I only had one LAN point available in the room, I had to use a pair of smart switches to enable the sole LAN point to be used for both Fibre TV and internet.

I relied on the various posts from a lot of helpful users who have encountered similar issues previously to resolve the issue

Compiled my setup into a diagram and attached it below. Hope it will be useful to other users facing similar challenges in the future.

montosun likes this.
creator88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #970
Arch-Supremacy Member

Recently completed the move from Starhub cable tv to Fibre TV. As I only had one LAN point available in the room, I had to use a pair of smart switches to enable the sole LAN point to be used for both Fibre TV and internet.

I relied on the various posts from a lot of helpful users who have encountered similar issues previously to resolve the issue

Compiled my setup into a diagram and attached it below. Hope it will be useful to other users facing similar challenges in the future.

Quite useful.
Old 22-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #971
Supremacy Member

there be charges of S$1.00 for printing the bills...

there be S$16.53 for taking up their fibre plan...

there be S$32.10 for termination of Fibre plan when contract ended...

the prices for the programs went up when switched to Fibre too when compared against the cable ones...

are they that desperate for people to take up their Fibre plan or suck more money from us?
Don't be too bother/worry about ebill as you can download the pdf and print/view yourself.
And if you pay via GIRO and do have any mobile lines in that account there is Free 100 SMS per month/per line.

As for the $16.50 is for not using their fibre broadband, but if free broadband or bundle then either use it or leave it.
Since Fibre TV has to be connected directly to ONT Port-2 while Port-1 for Internet/router and Ports 3 & 4 are void, not in use.

TV channels/groups/packs pricing are the same for both cable & fibre.

As for Fibre TV STB (Set top box) there are additional features & functions.
outer92 likes this.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #972

A family of mine already have "No IP address assigned..." problem after upgraded just a few days ago to fibre TV...
Hi, i got this error on my fiber tv as well, 2nd tech came and could not resolve. called 1633 tech support 4 times, still status quo.

anyone experience this too? can share how to resolve...look like starhub tech have prob resolving as well.

Thanks.
blue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #973
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, i got this error on my fiber tv as well, 2nd tech came and could not resolve. called 1633 tech support 4 times, still status quo.

anyone experience this too? can share how to resolve...look like starhub tech have prob resolving as well.

Thanks.
wow they took that long and still not fixed and would u get any compensation from them or LLST?
NWT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #974
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks.
The only thing user can do is to request for a new ONT to replace the Old ONT. While waiting for tech to come to replace the ONT, try to request the support staff to re-start your network. After that, then u switch off your ONT, router, Tv STB and computer for 1 minute. After that switch on ONT then all other devices. Many time it is faulty ONT or the provisioning not done properly or backend network issue. Quite straightforward.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 23-02-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Old 24-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #975

Updated the diagram for my Starhub Fibre TV setup, taking into account advise from various forum posters. Neater layout and uses one less switch.

Hope it is useful for others who encounter same issue in future:

creator88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.