HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

IPV6 -- Anyone on it and tested to work??

Like Tree12Likes
View Poll Results: Are you running on IPv6
Yes, My IPv6 Address looks like http://[2402:8d03:ffef:ff7f:a0:60bb:6400:0] 45 47.87%
No , I'm Stuck with IPv4 35 37.23%
Partially, in the office or in testing stage 1 1.06%
NOPE and WHAT IS IPv6? 13 13.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

IPV6 -- Anyone on it and tested to work??

Doing a little background test on everyone here.. are you aware of IPV6 and are you using it? Either personally or in the office??

I'm currently using IPV6 over a tunnel on MyRepublic and works on client side and some of the equipment... and wondering anyone techy enuff to try this out and successful in it??

My specs: Asus N56U running 6in4 tunnel to Hurricane (U can get free tunnels here)

If you are unsure, try going to http://[2402:8d03:ffef:ff7f:a0:60bb:6400:0] and it will go to the SING GOV website... and if it resolves... then U have IPV6...

I'm trying to find out , if IPv6 can smoke out the IP Demographics and let us all have US or UK IP without a need of a vpn...

Reason I am asking is to find out if your IPV6 address can be accessed from worldwide... and hoping we can setup a new networking Group.

Regards and Thanks
Old 17-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Your "IPv6.. now certified!" is you took exam?
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

Your "IPv6.. now certified!" is you took exam?
took the HE ipv6 testing online... now at prof level...going to the guru stage....
which is a little more tricky.
Old 17-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Have IPV6 working through Starhub DLINK RG. Traceroute to the typical google, youtube, yahoo websites reveal shorter route (i don't know if it's really shorter, only can see a shorter list of 'hops').

youtube speed confirm is amazing, was watching 1080p video yesterday, and it downloaded at over 100Mbps (well it's throttle by my homeplugs... haiz...)

But there are also problem (but I believe is browser dependant), on my mac, using Safari, some websites like mycarforum.com will not load unless i click reload a few time, but same website on same computer no issue with Chrome

Also can test ipv6 using these sites:

http://test-ipv6.com/

http://ipv6-test.com/

Last edited by kienann; 17-07-2013 at 05:11 PM..
kienann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Master Member

How does IPv6 let you have a US or UK IP? Besides, it's still a block assigned to your ISP so it has the potential to be partitioned by location like in IPv4

Also, I have personally not switched to IPv6 because it makes web browsing slower since there is now double DNS (IPv4 and IPv6) lookup. Imagine just for the small number of IPv6 sites that you wish to visit, you have to pay the latency penalty on ALL sites you visit, per subdomain requested on all objects fetched.

The problem is, the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS requests are still not done in parallel
Old 17-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

I have 6in4 long ago using OpenWRT.
The tunnel will only help you resolve ipv6 address.
If I force my laptop adapter interface to use ipv6 only, only ipv6 sites are accessible, forums.hardwarezone.com.sg will return not found.

For OpenWRT there is dnsmasq storing and caching all the look ups.
You can define unlimited number of DNS Server that is why the project is so great. There is no latency penalty because the lookups can be done almost simultaneously.

6in4 tunneling will let you have a US IPv6 address because the endpoint is Hurricane Electric Tunnel Provider.

laptop(ipv6)---->Router(ipv6 encap to ipv4)----->henet(ipv4 decap to ipv6)----->ipv6 world

Also you might want to activate temporary generation of ipv6 address otherwise part of your mac will be used.

Last edited by ArcticCheetah; 17-07-2013 at 09:18 PM..
ArcticCheetah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have IPV6 working through Starhub DLINK RG. Traceroute to the typical google, youtube, yahoo websites reveal shorter route (i don't know if it's really shorter, only can see a shorter list of 'hops').

youtube speed confirm is amazing, was watching 1080p video yesterday, and it downloaded at over 100Mbps (well it's throttle by my homeplugs... haiz...)

But there are also problem (but I believe is browser dependant), on my mac, using Safari, some websites like mycarforum.com will not load unless i click reload a few time, but same website on same computer no issue with Chrome

Also can test ipv6 using these sites:

Test your IPv6.

IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test
Interesting to find that your SH IPv6 works fine. My buddy on SH isn't that fortunate. The SH IPv6 screwing things up big time and now is disabled throughout the LAN so no devices use IPv6 out.
chaicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

TS,

Several of us on ViewQwest have been on Native IPv6 for a long time and runs well (except occasional hiccups such as the swing from /64 to /48 allocation).

Native IPv6 works well and much simpler than 6in4 or tunnel IPv6.
Old 18-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Anyone on Starhub fiber gotten ipv6 to work on Asus router?
Cyberboy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone on Starhub fiber gotten ipv6 to work on Asus router?
I am not surprise if those using non-SH D-Link router are facing issues with SH's IPv6 implementation.

I have not spend much time to analyse SH's IPv6 implementation yet. But from the experience and brief info provided by my buddy on SH fiber, it seems kinda weird way to implement and is causing problems (to the extend of having to totally disable IPv6 for entire LAN, otherwise, various usage traffic just go crazy - such as hung at loading content, extreme slow speed to transfer, etc).

Would be interesting to see if anyone using own router is able to successfully make IPv6 work on SH Fiber.
Old 18-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Interesting to find that your SH IPv6 works fine. My buddy on SH isn't that fortunate. The SH IPv6 screwing things up big time and now is disabled throughout the LAN so no devices use IPv6 out.
When we first switch to fiber (just 2~3 months ago), we didn't realised IPv6 was "working", all we notice was extreme lag in web surfing (yahoo, gmail, youtube), like you said, web page either don't load at all, or load half way hang, my missus was complaining so much that i have to disable ipv6 on her comp to keep her 'quiet'

but somehow after some time, the problem slowly disappear, we do still get the occasional 'hung' web loading, but most of the other time we're using it seems pretty ok
Old 18-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

When we first switch to fiber (just 2~3 months ago), we didn't realised IPv6 was "working", all we notice was extreme lag in web surfing (yahoo, gmail, youtube), like you said, web page either don't load at all, or load half way hang, my missus was complaining so much that i have to disable ipv6 on her comp to keep her 'quiet'

but somehow after some time, the problem slowly disappear, we do still get the occasional 'hung' web loading, but most of the other time we're using it seems pretty ok
That's after dunno how many "maintenance" SH has done over the past months, at least 2 per month and in some month, 3. Still, the IPv6 implementation is half-baked.

Good to know it is working for those still on D-Link RG. But seems not working properly for those on own RG.

I view that as a rush to roll out IPv6 without proper consideration of all scenarios and thus the high number of maintenance (with each, always a risk of performance degradation or abnormal behaviour which affects even IPv4 traffic) over the last few months.
Old 18-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #13

How does IPv6 let you have a US or UK IP? Besides, it's still a block assigned to your ISP so it has the potential to be partitioned by location like in IPv4

Also, I have personally not switched to IPv6 because it makes web browsing slower since there is now double DNS (IPv4 and IPv6) lookup. Imagine just for the small number of IPv6 sites that you wish to visit, you have to pay the latency penalty on ALL sites you visit, per subdomain requested on all objects fetched.

The problem is, the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS requests are still not done in parallel
it depends on the block and how u set it as ipv6 is preferred by system than ipv4 and DNA lookup are instantaneous since its just aaaa lookup first and if fail return ipv4 address.

I got us blocks which ARIN would let me have a /48 for free and on top of the tunnel to he, it works well, bypassing the v4 hops.

starhub should work on both the fiber and cable services as the newer docsis modems are v6 capable.

it's good many are using v6 and hope we can capitalise on this....
Old 18-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #14

That's after dunno how many "maintenance" SH has done over the past months, at least 2 per month and in some month, 3. Still, the IPv6 implementation is half-baked.

Good to know it is working for those still on D-Link RG. But seems not working properly for those on own RG.

I view that as a rush to roll out IPv6 without proper consideration of all scenarios and thus the high number of maintenance (with each, always a risk of performance degradation or abnormal behaviour which affects even IPv4 traffic) over the last few months.
and everytime they have maintenance ipv6 on router will disconnect, need to reboot then will reacquire the ipv6 addresses... lol
Old 18-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

Just notice climbing hill, those send very fast one a lot is ipv6 one, any reasons ?
ohmygod1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.