M1 1GB mData SIM card

Felynx

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the free M1 1GB mData SIM card that comes with fiber subscriptions be used to make calls and SMSes on a pay-per-use basis? I'm currently using a separate prepaid card for mobile data and I was wondering whether I could substitute my prepaid SIM with the mData SIM to save on mobile subscription fees.

Felynx

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the free M1 1GB mData SIM card that comes with fiber subscriptions be used to make calls and SMSes on a pay-per-use basis? I'm currently using a separate prepaid card for mobile data and I was wondering whether I could substitute my prepaid SIM with the mData SIM to save on mobile subscription fees.

I just called M1 up (I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier), and the answer is yes. I've basically wasted more than a year's worth of 1GB mData subscription because my phone ain't dual SIM (f me right?), but better late than never on discovering this perk. Found a FB post on this while Googling as well:

https://www.facebook.com/mobile1/posts/10151438663346185

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it a perk? Voice and SMS is not free on the data SIM, usage is chargeable at prepaid rates

I so remember the moment I plugged the SIM into my tablet, a SMS was received almost instantaneously. After that, I disabled the messaging app immediately.

Last edited:

Felynx

Reaction score
Is it a perk? Voice and SMS is not free on the data SIM, usage is chargeable at prepaid rates

I so remember the moment I plugged the SIM into my tablet, a SMS was received almost instantaneously. After that, I disabled the messaging app immediately.

Being able to save about $15 per month for not requiring a separate line for data is quite a perk for me. I'm currently using that prepaid line to make calls and smses anyway, so there isn't much of a cost difference in this regard.

bazingaman

Reaction score
and this SIM can be a standby or temp sim.. I use this some times to pass to friends/visitors for a day or two.. For them they love the 'free data sim' and able to sms/call :)

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
I just called M1 up (I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier), and the answer is yes. I've basically wasted more than a year's worth of 1GB mData subscription because my phone ain't dual SIM (f me right?), but better late than never on discovering this perk. Found a FB post on this while Googling as well:

https://www.facebook.com/mobile1/posts/10151438663346185

well, i got a "free" 1gb sim when i renewed my m1 fiber contract a few months ago....

i thought of buying a sony xperia m dual but it seems it's not available locally. the idea was to use the m1 data sim for data and my prepaid starhub sim for calls/sms/mms.

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
and this SIM can be a standby or temp sim.. I use this some times to pass to friends/visitors for a day or two.. For them they love the 'free data sim' and able to sms/call :)

what about other times? i have an asus rt-ac66u router and a 3g modem, so the data sim can be used with the 3g modem as an alternate wan interface.

efreelancer

Reaction score
M1 1GB mData SIM card no caller ID. Anyone knows how to make with number appearing when receiving calls?

nuilnuil

Reaction score
Have to subscribe to M1 caller id VAS else M1 would not relay the number to your mobile.

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sim card in my drawer for the past 2 years.... since have recontracted recently, maybe can take out to use....

Any cheap phone to recommend??? Maybe for messaging pple only....

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sim card in my drawer for the past 2 years.... since have recontracted recently, maybe can take out to use....

Any cheap phone to recommend??? Maybe for messaging pple only....

Budget? Dual-SIM 4G+3G?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought the dual sim is 4G + 2G???
So am I paying a lot more for this dual sim feature???
Nope. Some phones are 4G+3G dual-SIM, like Redmi 4X. 3/32GB, SD435 and 4100mAh battery.

Redmi 4A is 4G+2G. $50 lesser, but 2/32GB storage, SD425 and 3120mAh battery.

The reason why I asked if you need 4G+3G dual-SIM is because I can recommend accordingly.

Typically 4G+3G dual-SIM devices are more powerful than 4G+2G dual-SIM devices on the same class la.

Sent from Redmi Note 4 MTK using GAGT

Last edited:

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. Some phones are 4G+3G dual-SIM, like Redmi 4X. 3/32GB, SD435 and 4100mAh battery.

Redmi 4A is 4G+2G. $50 lesser, but 2/32GB storage, SD425 and 3120mAh battery.

The reason why I asked if you need 4G+3G dual-SIM is because I can recommend accordingly.

Typically 4G+3G dual-SIM devices are more powerful than 4G+2G dual-SIM devices on the same class la.

Sent from Redmi Note 4 MTK using GAGT
Is it too much to spend just for whatsapp???

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.