Most recommended WiFi Mesh to expand WiFi coverage?

turboo

Reaction score
I'm on Sinktel 300mbps, with their default router (Aztech FG7003GRV) and the WiFi coverage is extremely poor. It's located in the centre of the living room, and it can't even reach my bedroom, 4metres away with 1 wall separating it (regardless of 2.4 or 5ghz).

Thinking of changing either the router or adding a WiFi mesh:

1. Which router to change to? Thinking of the TP-Link ARcher v3
2. Alternatively, which WiFi mesh is highly recommended and I can get full signal on 5Ghz with almost full speed in my bedroom?

Looking at <$200 budget.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If budget is a concern, then mesh is not a good consideration.

Look for a 2nd hand router to try out. If you are not satisfied, you can sell it again.

turboo

Reaction score
just to confirm, the FG7003GRV is a router with poor range? trying to understand, otherwise I'll need to test many different models and it will still give similar results..

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can safely assume anything that is custom made is crap. Custom made = cheaper.

If the brand and model is really good, they company will sell to the public market for a bigger audience.

You don't need to try so many models. There are only a few models to shortlist.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Internal antenna wireless routers will have a slightly lower range than the antenna ones. How much lower differs from brand to brand.

Also, to judge a product based on range, it's not so accurate because it differs from homes to homes.

If you have large house, try ac5300 or Tplink c5400. I have used both and the range is significantly better than 7003. But don't expect new wireless routers to overcome physical constraints hor..

If you can increase your budget to 240 dollars, then SingTel wifi mesh might be suitable also. Since Singtel charges $10 over 24 months, and you get to keep it after 24 months..

just to confirm, the FG7003GRV is a router with poor range? trying to understand, otherwise I'll need to test many different models and it will still give similar results..

Last edited:

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's other better network device to recommend other than using back Singtel mesh? Budget $240-$300 can fit the bill?

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-WPA8730-KIT.html

Does this work as good as the mesh? Also came with two adapter

mrkiasu

Reaction score
This is using powerline (PLC) technology, u must keep it cool to enjoy good transmitting speed. It does run hot and performance drop once its hot.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-WPA8730-KIT.html

Does this work as good as the mesh? Also came with two adapter

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is using powerline (PLC) technology, u must keep it cool to enjoy good transmitting speed. It does run hot and performance drop once its hot.

Didn't know that.
Thanks for ur review. That had to say performance confirm drop after leave overnight or after like 8hours

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U got any recommendation that can work as good as that Singtel mesh?

I didn't wan to use Singtel mesh coz after contract I may switch to other service providers so no point using said mesh spending $200 plus.

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
You can use it with other ISP.

I didn't wan to use Singtel mesh coz after contract I may switch to other service providers so no point using said mesh spending $200 plus.

oric1

Reaction score
What's other better network device to recommend other than using back Singtel mesh? Budget $240-$300 can fit the bill?

u mean the singtel mesh can use with starhub or m1 in future too?:eek:

Yes, can use with any ISP. After 2 years, it's yours.

If you don't want to pay $10/month, you can buy from resale market. Someone is selling for $200 at Carousell.

https://carousell.com/p/airties-492...&ref_referrer=/search/products/?query=airties

Last edited:

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so will u recommend to get the singnet mesh better than those of tplink, etc for normal extension of wifi?

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not speaking for others but for myself, yes, I'm currently using it. See my post in Anybody using Singtel Mesh?
I did saw that. And thanks.
Just called Singtel and they send site technicians to come over next week and let me test and see how it goes.

Coz my BTO is those newly type layout with a stretch of corridor.
And then my fiber is at far side corner of living room near window. So don't know then signal can reach the other side of master room anot.

mrkiasu

Reaction score
Please do test. review and feedback, i am also very curious.

thank you. i wait for your review.

Just called Singtel and they send site technicians to come over next week and let me test and see how it goes.

And then my fiber is at far side corner of living room near window. So don't know then signal can reach the other side of master room anot.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u mean the singtel mesh can use with starhub or m1 in future too?:eek:

not in the future, rather, its presently. singtel wifi mesh does not include special requirements on ISP level to work, unlike their router. so if i sign up for wifi mesh and i sell you, and you're on some other ISP, the mesh system will still work.

so will u recommend to get the singnet mesh better than those of tplink, etc for normal extension of wifi?

wifi mesh systems have a smaller backhaul comparing to conventional repeaters/extenders, which likely to decry the bandwidth by half.

don't forget strategic placement! do think of some ideas to place your mesh so that when the tech comes down, you can have a more proper evaluation of the system.. :)

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score
Anybody has experience with Google Wifi? Thinking of getting that.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.