MyRepublic fibre - Part 5

bert64

Reaction score
any reason why all providers will eventually put users behind cgnat? does this mean that there will no longer be static ip or it would a paid service?

Not only would there be no static ip, there would be no dynamic ip, you would have a shared ip which is worse - no inbound connections, no port forwarding etc.

IPv4 is not suitable for the modern Internet, there are simply not enough addresses. As the addresses are in short supply, their price keeps going up.

For instance, a provider in Australia moved their customers to CGNAT because of the cost of IPv4: https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aussie-broadband-wants-to-stop-buying-extra-ipv4-addresses-511902

All mobile providers are already using CGNAT, MyRepublic use it, according to posts here ViewQwest are also moving some customers to CGNAT.
In less developed countries such as Myanmar, ALL providers already use CGNAT. Home users simply have no choice at all, business customers can still rent static IPv4 but the cost is high (~500 USD per month or more on top of the base price).
Newer providers also generally use CGNAT, not because they want to but because they have no choice.

Even in a saturated market like Singapore, where incumbent providers already have enough IPv4 for their customers, providing an expensive resource to a customer paying <$50/month does not make business sense. There will be a temptation to sell the address space, or to start charging customers high fees for it.

It's not a question of if it happens, but a matter of when. That's why we need to move as much as possible over to IPv6 now so that we don't get caught off guard when CGNAT inevitably rolls along.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tidus792

Master Member
Reaction score
Will there by any promotion during the IT show? Wondering if I should sign up now or wait until 11 March and see what promotions are available.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
2 x 1Gbps Fibre Connections. Upload speed is 2 x 500Mbps?

ccmheoa

Master Member
Reaction score
does the MR gamer plan has better china gameservers connectivity?

right now on starhub and some games lag like hell...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MR upload is just 500mbps?

Yes. MR is the only ISP which offers asymmetrical upload/download for 1Gbps plan (1Gbps download and 500Mbps upload). But this should not be an issue for most of the users.

No IPv6 is another problem for MR but again should not affect most of the users.

CGNAT is the real problem with MR but you can pay S$50 one time charge to get the static IP.

dunno88

Reaction score
have been using MR gamers broadband plan for months now, so far while i have not experience downtime compared to old shitty isp i am a bit disappointed since i occasionally encounter lags/ping spikes once every few weeks. Also i think my ping to some games is a bit higher compared to old provider. I read somewhere gamers plan is irrelevant due to sharing network with other hosting in the datacenter or something like that, still true?

i use gaming vpn to tunnel when i get these problems but so far i dont feel i am getting value for the money spent. Should i also consider getting static ip? i also use cloud dns address all the time..

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have been using MR gamers broadband plan for months now, so far while i have not experience downtime compared to old shitty isp i am a bit disappointed since i occasionally encounter lags/ping spikes once every few weeks. Also i think my ping to some games is a bit higher compared to old provider. I read somewhere gamers plan is irrelevant due to sharing network with other hosting in the datacenter or something like that, still true?

i use gaming vpn to tunnel when i get these problems but so far i dont feel i am getting value for the money spent. Should i also consider getting static ip? i also use cloud dns address all the time..

well, you can check the custom gaming route to see if your game is on the list. then request a route if it's not there

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Someone feedback that M1 has better connection to China but I am not sure about now.

Yes, the upload speed has been 500 Mbps for 1 Gbps plan since Day 1.

Thats quite lame considering everyone else is symmetric already

nicepal

Reaction score
Anyone on MR mesh plan?
TPlink’s good?

I was wondering if Asus’s are better off in spec or the TP link ones.

Though previously I have used some TPLink router and find it ok.

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. Yishun area
I also yishun area, no down also. Infact the last time it went down, it was down for me is due to the switchbox leading to my flat was faulty. MR solved it swiftly but too bad they don't work during wkends (same goes to the contractor who is incharge of the switchboxes) So i suffer a totally of 4 days of no internet

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.