MyRepublic fibre - Part 5

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Do you have any historical traceroute results? Might be due to congestion, or might be due to changes in peering?

I would imagine that with the tighter covid measures, more people are staying home and streaming video instead of going out - but all the big streaming sites have local caches.
yes i have historical. some routes are noticeably worse than others, but not all can be represented by ping results. what i did was to look at the worse set of results (that follows some fixed trend) to infer when the peak hours are. it seems to be 1030pm, and corresponds with slower/less consistent speeds to other destinations including local that arent affected as badly. it seems to be that singtel is letting its ports become saturated without "managing" it by applying traffic shaping to reduce bufferbloat.

instead singtel just floods its interfaces, i can see latency increasing from sub 20ms to 100+ms via the same route to some malaysian servers for example, with packet loss rising to as high as 50% at 1030pm..

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you for the reply.
So far it's only OW, CSGO, Valorant mainly. All the while it was fine and ping was stable. Until past few days started to happen. It's so annoying! I play on PC. My friend stays in farrer park and we play the same games together and he doesn't face any issue with his Ping.
Singtel got back to me saying Latency looks fine based on my TraceRT Screenshots to them. They told me to check with the GAMES ADMIN. T.T
Now im at a loss. Don't even know what to do.

Time to leave them when the contract is up

Sent from A universe Where pink PWNED everything

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i have historical. some routes are noticeably worse than others, but not all can be represented by ping results. what i did was to look at the worse set of results (that follows some fixed trend) to infer when the peak hours are. it seems to be 1030pm, and corresponds with slower/less consistent speeds to other destinations including local that arent affected as badly. it seems to be that singtel is letting its ports become saturated without "managing" it by applying traffic shaping to reduce bufferbloat.
instead singtel just floods its interfaces, i can see latency increasing from sub 20ms to 100+ms via the same route to some malaysian servers for example, with packet loss rising to as high as 50% at 1030pm..

Interesting. No wonder quite some reports are related to internet problem around that peak time.

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Interesting. No wonder quite some reports are related to internet problem around that peak time.
example of results
IMG-20210606-121335.jpg

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess this is on Lan cable? Anyone able to share their speed on WIFI?

My internet at my new BTO is messed up, using ORBI RBK50 but i'm only getting approx close to 200 +/- for both upload and download speed even though i could be just directly infront of the router.
Speed also depends on your own client device phone or laptop. I think for most purposes, if you see >200mbps, that is good already. Even 100mbps may be good for most cases. It is maybe only if you are into gaming you will need higher speeds or if you are downloading some heavy amount of data and you cant wait.

bert64

Reaction score
Speed also depends on your own client device phone or laptop. I think for most purposes, if you see >200mbps, that is good already. Even 100mbps may be good for most cases. It is maybe only if you are into gaming you will need higher speeds or if you are downloading some heavy amount of data and you cant wait.

Gaming needs low and stable latency. A 10mbps connection with low latency will almost always be better for gaming than a connection capable of 1gbps but with high or fluctuating latency.

It's only really bulk downloading of data that benefits from higher throughput.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gaming needs low and stable latency. A 10mbps connection with low latency will almost always be better for gaming than a connection capable of 1gbps but with high or fluctuating latency.

It's only really bulk downloading of data that benefits from higher throughput.
Thanks. So for most people 500mbps plan is good enough even with multiple people streaming in the house, right?

bert64

Reaction score
Thanks. So for most people 500mbps plan is good enough even with multiple people streaming in the house, right?

Netflix recommends 25mbps for a 4k stream. If you are very conservative and allow double that for overhead and margin, you'll comfortably handle 10 users each streaming a 4k movie on a 500mbps connection.

Theoretically you could have 20 active 4k streams, but that would leave no margin.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody experience loss of internet in the west region?

Yes, MR internet has been cranky recently since Wed. Especially during the period of 10pm - 12:30am. I did not realized this until (last night) my pfsense hit the multi-WAN threshold and failed over to my 2nd ISP.

Checked back the logs and found high packet lost and high ping spike on Wed, Fri and Sat.

I have raise a ticket to them.

freshmeat143

Reaction score
anyone can feedback myrepublic experience in jurong west area? planning to switch from SH to myrepublic, the WIFI 6 router is very attractive. thks

iicecube

Master Member
Reaction score
what a lousy offer.

their ongoing 50GB no contract plan only costs $17. and this one is $18 plus the extra bonus 10GB data is only for first 3 months. :p
The $17 talktime is only half the one on this $18 promotion which is 1k.

sacar101

Reaction score
Not much promo for their internet plan. It feel like they're giving up on their fiber business or something...

euko82

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Which is the default router?

It depends on your household plan.
E.g. You may receive weak or no signal in the room furthest from the router even with a powerful router.
How to solve this?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.