Need router reboot to get back fibre speed.

silentscope

Reaction score
Hello all,

Need some help to understand how router actually works and why am i getting less than 10mbps occasionally?

I have recently set up fibre internet in my parent's 3 storey house, here are the set up.

Level 3 - Data point > Router

Level 2 - TP > Modem > Router > Data points

Level 1 - Data point > Router

I have set all to the same SSID so it will auto connect to the highest range access point.

However, i have experienced on several occasions, when i got back to my room at level 3, my router is only supplying me less than 10mbps. I need to restart my router to get back the fibre speed.

what have caused the router to supply a lower speed suddenly?

Thanks in advance

omelet

Reaction score
Share your router model and how you configured for each of them...

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
- Brand and Model of all router
- Which router did you Restart? Since there are more than one router
- How are the level 1 and 3 router connected to level 2 router?

> The router on level 1 and 3 had their LAN DHCP disable?
> Are you connecting Level 1 router from 4 port switch to Level 2/3 router WAN or Switch port?

silentscope

Reaction score
Level 3 - Data point > Router (AC1200g+) (used AC point mode set through administration) (Cat 6)

Level 2 - TP > Modem > Router (AC68u) > Data points (Cat 6)

Level 1 - Data point > Router (AC1200g+) (used AC point mode set through administration) (Cat 5e)

No other settings were touched, and also didnt touch settings on DHCP
Level 1 and 3 are connected from Datapoint to Router WAN port.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make sure all routes used are running in access point mode except the one connected to ONT.

If all cables are okay, you shouldn't have a problem unless your wireless environment is full of interference and congestion. Scan the environment and do a manual assignment of channels.

Access points should also be connected via WAN port as Asus routers are made that way. No need to touch any other settings if you choose the default access point mode.

Level 3 - Data point > Router (AC1200g+) (used AC point mode set through administration) (Cat 6)

Level 2 - TP > Modem > Router (AC68u) > Data points (Cat 6)

Level 1 - Data point > Router (AC1200g+) (used AC point mode set through administration) (Cat 5e)

No other settings were touched, and also didnt touch settings on DHCP
Level 1 and 3 are connected from Datapoint to Router WAN port.

silentscope

Reaction score
ya, strange.. can i check if phone or device will auto connect to the highest range SSID?

Since walking from level 2 to level 3, there will bound to be some overlapping areas.
What i realized, when i got to where my level 3 router is, my signal will auto switch to max, so i assume it switched from level 2 router to level 3 router.

From 3 occasions over the past 1 week, all my devices only got only less than 10mbps and i need to restart level 3 router.

deathblade82

Reaction score
From 3 occasions over the past 1 week, all my devices only got only less than 10mbps and i need to restart level 3 router.

Does this only happens to all the devices that is connected to the lvl 3 router ?

Btw, is the router on the latest firmware ?

silentscope

Reaction score
Yes, happens when i get home, went from level 1 to 3, check my phone and my laptop, wifi got less than 10mpbs, LAN on PC speed is fine.

sammacitto

Reaction score
1. set wifi channel manually with this order (1-8-1 or 12-1-12), this to make sure all not overlapping, you can try other channel also
2. set the signal strength for each AP and router to low or medium, try medium first, then down to low if still got the same issues
3. hopefully not need to rearrange you AC68u or the AP location

You might got "sticky session" on the phone or devices that connected to the AP, this quite common with devices with low power.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, happens when i get home, went from level 1 to 3, check my phone and my laptop, wifi got less than 10mpbs, LAN on PC speed is fine.

To eliminate the possibility of a hardware failure, you can swap the level 1 and 3 routers.

Otherwise, what sammacitto said is sensible. When you reboot, I assume you are at level 3. So logically you will be connected to level 3 router after the reboot.

zhaohan

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rename your access point names to level 1,2,3 then you will know if u are connected to the level 3 one when u are on level 3
i doubt u are, thats why u are getting the low speeds
after your restart of the level 3 router, your phone connects to it, then u get the high speeds again

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.