New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

RuMmYtUb

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Are all your room wire with LAN?
2. How much u planning to spend?

You can place another wireless router (but configure to AP) in living room if you know how to get them setup.

1. No issues with room connectivity, just want to improve speeds in living room.

2. Any budget router to intro?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Crimped a new head already.

Now it can read the length for all the pairs but it says it's open and my Asus router says Lan cable unplugged.

Does this mean the stp cable is spoilt?

Most likely the wiring is in wrong position.

If you are using Cat-5E connector, ensure the wiring is on the side marked " 3 " in big on the left side.

K3Jpa70.jpg

Mine was wiring on the other side as the ISP contractor explained it is not sg spec and hence no connection.
Which is similar as you encountered "unplugged".

Do check on both end to ensure they are correct.
Cat-6 connector is different, so do not mixed.

Most cables in the trucking are protected in casing, as not left open.
Hence it is very unlikely any damage in the cabling.
Mine new flat cables are inside the piping on the floor before the cement.

Edit: Picture is known as keystone as commented someone on my picture.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you are using Cat-5E connector, ensure the wiring is on the side marked " 3 " in big on the left side.

Mine was wiring on the other side as the ISP contractor explained it is not sg spec and hence no connection.

Edit: Picture is known as keystone as commented someone on my picture.

There is no such thing as sg spec.

There are two standards for network cable wiring: EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 568B.

568B is more commonly used now.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

K3Jpa70.jpg

Edit: Picture is known askeystone as commented someone on my picture.

Hmm wiring wise I am not sure if the free connector that came are cat6 or cat5e.

It came together with this Lazada crimping set I got. A set of 100 heads (99 left now cause I spoilt one)
But the description says cat5e
bXtddMU.jpg

Anyway this is the image from the part I crimped.
It says the length is 12-13 m and the status is open

zppoUIv.jpg

The other part near the router is the original head
That says 21-22m and status is opened for all pairs
wsSoEDY.jpg

liangtam has been helping me via pm and he has a theory that the cable itself is broken within the false ceiling hence the two vastly different lengths

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm wiring wise I am not sure if the free connector that came are cat6 or cat5e.

It came together with this Lazada crimping set I got. A set of 100 heads (99 left now cause I spoilt one)
https://i.imgur.com/bXtddMU.jpg

Anyway this is the image from the part I crimped.
It says the length is 12-13 m and the status is open

https://i.imgur.com/zppoUIv.jpg

The other part near the router is the original head
That says 21-22m and status is opened for all pairs
https://i.imgur.com/wsSoEDY.jpg

liangtam has been helping me via pm and he has a theory that the cable itself is broken within the false ceiling hence the two vastly different lengths

The easier way to check whether the wire is broken is to use a simple multimeter.

Cut away connector at both ends, so that you can eliminate the faults due to connectors.

on one end of the cable, short the pair of wires with the same colour, e.g short blue with blue-white, brown with brown-white...

go to the other end and measure the resistance or just simply check the continuity for blue and blue-white, brown and brown-white...

If one of more pairs do not pass the test, then you have to change cable. Or if you need only 100Mbps, you can continue to use the cable with 2 working pairs.

If all the 4 pairs passed the continuity test, fix up the connector. Google for the colour code for T568B and crimp both connector with the same T568B colour.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bXtddMU.jpg

Not sure whether you bought the whole set as per the picture.

If yes, use the supplied cable test to test. It can tell whether the cable is broken or the connector is not done properly (wrong connection or not connected).

If your cable with the connector failed the test with cable tester, use the procedures in my earlier post to isolate the fault.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm because I have used the cable before 4 years ago and it was working then I honestly just followed the wiring pattern on the old connector which happens to correspond to 568b and from what I remembered from my polytechnic course textbook.

I didn't try the connector with the 21 m end thou

That part seems longer so I should be able to cut and fix a new one on for testing

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure whether you bought the whole set as per the picture.

If yes, use the supplied cable test to test. It can tell whether the cable is broken or the connector is not done properly (wrong connection or not connected).

Haha yes I will probably know by tonight cause it came yesterday but without a 9 volt battery.

I ordered a 9 volt battery from Lazada express delivery and it should be delivered today according to the whatapp from ninjavan

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok confirmed there is a joining in the ceiling somewhere. I used the proper network tester before crimping a new head and no connection lights from 1-8 at all . After crimping a new head also no lights.

Pulling the cable on the ceiling end has alot of tension.

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
There is no such thing as sg spec. and there is no such thing as china spec

There are two standards for network cable wiring: EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 568B.

568B is more commonly used now.

it has always been the B standard. I believe almost everyone in the world uses the 568B

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advise on unifi LR placement... aiming for full wifi coverage...

The earlier plan is to pull cat 6 from DB via the greyout which is my false ceiling... and mount unifi under a false beam (red box) below ac... but some bros point out that it may be too low...

1. Middle room is my pc room which i want to connect via lan after converting rj11 to datapoint... can i share this data point and pull cat 6 via blue instead?

2. Blue or yellow cross which is a better position to mount the unifi?

GQhW80L.jpg

T4dzpS7.jpg

NsdH9KP.jpg

Apex

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advise on unifi LR placement... aiming for full wifi coverage...

The earlier plan is to pull cat 6 from DB via the greyout which is my false ceiling... and mount unifi under a false beam (red box) below ac... but some bros point out that it may be too low...

1. Middle room is my pc room which i want to connect via lan after converting rj11 to datapoint... can i share this data point and pull cat 6 via blue instead?

GQhW80L.jpg

T4dzpS7.jpg

NsdH9KP.jpg

If you are planning to share the cable from DB to RED point and Middle room to Blue point?
I think the LR AP does not have secondary Ethernet ports.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_AC_APs_DS.pdf
UAP-AC-LR Specifications
Networking Interface: (1) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Port

If you using UAP-AC-PRO it would have secondary Ethernet ports which you can Connect the middle room cable to the AP
Networking Interface: (2) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

what are the reason given?

mrkiasu

Reaction score
I would mount it on the yellow cross, you have room to play (with RF power) with for the AC-LR.

GQhW80L.jpg

T4dzpS7.jpg

NsdH9KP.jpg

icer1985

Reaction score

GQhW80L.jpg

T4dzpS7.jpg

NsdH9KP.jpg

hello,

was your rj11 converted in other room?

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks... saw some forums mention that better position is to mount it horizontally but i suppose that is more applicable for multi storeys?

I would mount it on the yellow cross, you have room to play (with RF power) with for the AC-LR.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks... saw some forums mention that better position is to mount it horizontally but i suppose that is more applicable for multi storeys?

See the antenna pattern for this app.

You have to mount it horizontally if it is at the center of the house, i.e on the ceiling or the lower part of the horizontal beam.

If you want to mount it on the wall, mount it only at one end of the house.

So your original location marked in red could be the best location.

Based on the pattern, if ap is mounted at the yellow cross, the room behind the yellow cross will have bad wifi.

But all these are still theory, the better way is to do a temporary mount and use your handphone to go around the house and read the strength. Apps like "wifi analyser" from play store can help you to do it.

UAP-AC-LR-Overall_-_Summary_Plotrev2.png

Last edited:

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

The thing is if i pull from db... then i may need to do all the trunking as im planning to punch it tru 1st bedroom...

then again i want to ask if its possible if i convert my center bedroom rj11 to data and from there i use a switch - so that i can have lan for room pc and another port to unifi at the same time? Or must unifi be connected directly from mains?

Sorry if i did not explain well...

See the antenna pattern for this app.

You have to mount it horizontally if it is at the center of the house, i.e on the ceiling or the lower part of the horizontal beam.

If you want to mount it on the wall, mount it only at one end of the house.

So your original location marked in red could be the best location.

Based on the pattern, if ap is mounted at the yellow cross, the room behind the yellow cross will have bad wifi.

But all these are still theory, the better way is to do a temporary mount and use your handphone to go around the house and read the strength. Apps like "wifi analyser" from play store can help you to do it.

UAP-AC-LR-Overall_-_Summary_Plotrev2.png

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.