New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do WiFi mesh have seamless handoff? Am currently using multiple APs but it doesn't automatically connect to the nearest AP when moving around the house. Great for static position though.

Using mixture of routers models are not considered as Wifi Mesh but more on roaming instead.

Mobile devices connect to the strongest signal but it may not be always the case as it also depend on the mobile device preferences.

Example in my case when the handset detect the 1st router's SSID and moving close to the 2nd router do not auto switch to the 2nd router's SSID.
But sometimes it do auto switch when it is about in-between both routers which will take the nearest router SSID.
Although the handset only select the 5GHz bandwidth and both routers are the same model.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What APs you use? I use unifi APs at my parents house and my phone auto connects to the nearest one seamlessly.

I read somewhere that roaming is done by the phone & not the router

some newer aps have the roaming feature, but need the phone's built-in network function to do the roaming, e.g newer iphone.

if you mixed the brand of ap, it might not be able to do seamless roaming, even the phone is capable of.

however, most uses are not concern about whether there is roaming, as long as there is coverage. because the switch to a new ap can be done with a tap of button, and not many are using the phone and move from room to room continously.

having said that, if seamless routing is important, mesh wifi can be a solution.

however, the main selling point of mesh wifi is that it can work using wireless backbone, without laying cables and installing addtional lan point, and the price to pay for this feature is 3-5 times compared to non-mesh solution.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
What APs you use? I use unifi APs at my parents house and my phone auto connects to the nearest one seamlessly.

I read somewhere that roaming is done by the phone & not the router

Yes.

For best results, AP/Router should support minimum RSSI or cell tuning. This is to force the AP to drop the client and the client would then be 'forced' to connect to the stronger signal.

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ah thanks!... but i still think putting router at DB is not practical as there is no ventilation which could cause fire.. especially the breaker is also there...:(:(

Not comfortable then lay 1 fibre optic line out from the db to the living room. Then you can put your modem and router in the living room. But you still need a switch in the db to link up the rest of the data points to the router

bovi77

Reaction score
my mom aunt house has 2 unifi HD and get 700-900Mbps round the house.

My house only 1 AC lite an can get up to 600Mbps

newbie question:
If using asus wifi/router in DB box and unifi AP in bed 2, would they share the same SSID? I'm under the impression AP is used to retain same SSID but now realise maybe my assumption is wrong.

by the way, r you using 1 AC lite in a 4rm hdb?

I'm considering using asus AImesh because the total bandwidth is higher than via 1 unifi AC lite (just like the AC Pro 450/1300) and abit cheaper ($199 vs $249) + more ethernet ports so I can connect 2 desktops (? can I connect 2 desktops in my 2nd bedroom via 2nd router in AImesh mode then connect to dataport back to 1st router in DB box?).

bovi77

Reaction score
Not comfortable then lay 1 fibre optic line out from the db to the living room. Then you can put your modem and router in the living room. But you still need a switch in the db to link up the rest of the data points to the router

man if only i read of this earlier, great idea! should lay 2 wires. port 1 & port 2. since it's so thin.

Reaction score
Managed switch one of the solutions but is expensive. For a simple application like this, you only need a pair of "easysmart switch" from tp-link.

The cheapest is TL-SG105G. See this diagram.

EGwrXX1.jpg

This seems like the perfect solution for me. Only question is what if you have a Room "2" that requires the exact same setup illustrated (with IPTV). How do you go about the setup?

Thanks in advance

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This seems like the perfect solution for me. Only question is what if you have a Room "2" that requires the exact same setup illustrated (with IPTV). How do you go about the setup?

Thanks in advance

you can add another switch in room2. change the switch in DB to 8 port version.

because the topology is more complex, you can't use the simple one-click settings anymore, have to use the 802.1Q VLAN settings to config the 3 switches. Just make sure than tv set top boxes are in one vlan, and the internet devices are in another vlan.

another way to go around the problem is not to use fiber set top box. starhub has new "starhub go" set top box which works as another other internet devices.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance

Which IPTV are you referring to.. Singtel, Starhub, Android TV box.

The diagram is target for Starhub Fibre TV IPTV Set top box (STB) due to certain requirement of not mixing in 1 ethernet cable but able to via managed switches as shown.

Your thread > MioTV Setup

Related thread to your Mio TV > Official MIO TV Thread.......

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. my earlier thread (miottv) was on behalf of a fren really.
MioTV is fairly straight forward if you use their provided ONT & Router. You simply can add any number of switches after.

what im curious about now is Starhub FibreTV. planning for my own sunset of cable tv.

im also curious if can pull off an m1 fibre internet + starhub fibretv setup. This one im tinking of re-purposing existing coax points with MoCA just to carry FibreTV signal. this is really the more exp option i think.

Someone really needs to do a sticky on all common combinations.

Which IPTV are you referring to.. Singtel, Starhub, Android TV box.

The diagram is target for Starhub Fibre TV IPTV Set top box (STB) due to certain requirement of not mixing in 1 ethernet cable but able to via managed switches as shown.

Your thread > MioTV Setup

Related thread to your Mio TV > Official MIO TV Thread.......

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. my earlier thread (miottv) was on behalf of a fren really.
MioTV is fairly straight forward if you use their provided ONT & Router. You simply can add any number of switches after.

what im curious about now is Starhub FibreTV. planning for my own sunset of cable tv.

im also curious if can pull off an m1 fibre internet + starhub fibretv setup. This one im tinking of re-purposing existing coax points with MoCA just to carry FibreTV signal. this is really the more exp option i think.

Someone really needs to do a sticky on all common combinations.

Each ISP has its own ONT for fibre network/broadband as not shared.

And the FTP do have 2 ports to serve 2 ISP(s) for both Internet and Pay-TV services, combined or separate.

For Starhub Fibre TV combine with Fibre Broadband as HomeHub 2-in-1 package.
There is 1 free ethernet trunking or conversion upon request if you sign-up for this HomeHub.

Starhub do have Starhub Go Streaming box which can be use together with any ISP with internet connection.
Note that Starhub Go Streaming box is Android TV box, as OEM for Starhub, and able to download apps & work like any other Android TV box but currently is somewhat limited and maybe in future.

There is one MoCA networking thread where you can read to understand better.
> MoCA Network Setup

I am on HomeHub with Fibre TV Set top box.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.